Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Why so little high school talk???
Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 28, 2011

I'm a big fan of this forum and have been since it's first days. Over time the forum has drifted more and more toward college wrestling and moved further away from Ohio High School. I like college wrestling, but Ohio High School wrestling has always been my favorite sport. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of interest on here.

Point in case, the brackets for the OSHAA State Tourney have been released, and there is not a single word about it on here. There are some great stoy lines: Can Wadsworth repeat? Will St. Edward reclaim and start another run of titles? Can Perry surprise? Kuhar vs. Rose? Can Martinez dominate at 152 or will a guy like Prezzia do what know Ohio wrestler has done yet? In DII, Matt Stephens vs. Ian Miller, a match a year in the making. 160, is Jordan healthy? Even if he is, can he beat Konner Witt? The end of The Monroville Four? Will any of them be tested? That 160-pound bracket in DIII is brutal.

Anyway, I just thought I put it out there.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 28, 2011

Van Curen, from Eds, seemed way off. Anyone know the story? My guess is that he was hurt and trying to wrestle with it. For those who don't know, I think he went 1-2 at districts.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 28, 2011

I think ... I think ... I think the reason for this is the chatter, the puddle or even yappi. All three, including some others seem to be totally devoted to hs sports.

Not saying that that is the only reason, but it could be.

Also, do you like Prather in that? Running in the quarters, Walters in the semis, just to meet up with ... with... Dye???? FYI: Watch out for Mason Robinson. The kid is a gamer.

Anywho, all that to say, I'm your Huckleberry.

ps: Van Curen not making it puts the pucker factor up just a tad! All the sudden having a kid on his back means SO much more. Those 14-1 finishes could have been something else. Just sayin'.

Let's take these line by line, shall we.

Can Wadsworth repeat? ...It is certainly a possibility. Having 9 qualifiers is huge, but having them in the right weight classes is even bigger. (JSYK: 112,119,125,130,140,145,160,215,285)

Will St. Edward reclaim and start another run of titles? ...They have 10 qualifiers but 6 of them also have a Wadsworth kid. That leaves 4 to do as they please. The only problem is...

Can Perry surprise? ...For this to happen, they'll have to topple one of the Big Dawgs in a quarter or semi. The finals will only leave a four or five point difference. Might not be enough if only one or two individuals win it all.

Kuhar vs. Rose? ...Both have a tough road to hoe. Kuhar only beat El-Geroushi by a couple at Medina, right!? Then he could have a very talented guy in Elflein in the semis. Granted this shows my Central Ohio love, but these are the guys/results I've seen.

Can Martinez dominate at 152 or will a guy like Prezzia do what [no] Ohio wrestler has done yet? ...I gotta take Martinez on this one.

In DII, Matt Stephens vs. Ian Miller, a match a year in the making[?] ...If it happens, it might be one of the greatest-hyped finals in a long time given that we missed it last year, and both have elevated their game.

160, is Jordan healthy? Even if he is, can he beat Konner Witt? ...Don't know and don't know. (Another story line is Oak Harbor. Always competitive, but my word they are LOADED this year!!!)

The end of The Monroville Four? ...The end of one of the greatest stories in small school history. Certainly 4xer history.

Will any of them be tested? ...Tested? Yes. Overcome? No.

That 160-pound bracket in DIII is brutal. ...Already commented on this.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 28, 2011

AWN Prep 40 as of March 1.

A legit florida team is 3rd-- 3 very good Iowa teams in top 12-- 5 Illinois teams in top 26-- and 4 Ohio teams in top 18. Wadsworth has moved up from being unranked at end of December to #18.

1. Apple Valley Minn.
2. Blair Academy N.J.
3. Brandon Fla.
4. St. Paris Graham Ohio
5. St. Edward Ohio
6. Simley Minn.
7. Clovis Calif.
8. Iowa City West Ia.
9. Wyoming Seminary Pa.
10. Bettendorf Ia.
11. Glenbard North Ill.
12. Waverly-Shell Rock Ia.
13. Central Dauphin Pa.
14. Carl Sandburg Ill.
15. Wisconsin Rapids Wisc.
16. Massillon Perry Ohio
17. High Point N.J.
18. Wadsworth Ohio
19. Montini Catholic Ill.
20. Marmion Academy Ill.
21. St. Johns Mich.
22. Christianburg Va.
23. Easton Pa.
24. Bethlehem Catholic Pa.
25. Broken Arrow Okla.
26. Crystal Lake Central Ill.
27. Bakersfield Calif.
28. Nazareth Pa.
29. Longwood N.Y.
30. Collins Hill Ga.
31. Blue Springs Mo.
32. Canon McMillan Pa.
33. Neosho Mo.
34. Allen Texas
35. Shenendehowa N.Y.
36. Spencerport N.Y.
37. S. Plainfield N.J.
38. Jackson N. J.
39. Perry Meridian Ind.
40. Timber Creek N.J.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 28, 2011

Mark N. said "The end of The Monroville Four? ...The end of one of the greatest stories in small school history. Certainly 4xer history." I was looking at 2011 Monroeville's state qualifiers; three - Stieber, Tessari & Philips, that's it. All on track to be 4-timers, yet not even one other qualifier???? I just scratch my head...

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 28, 2011

That's a big part of what make the story so unique. They came out of nowhere and Monroville will likely drift back there as soon as they graduate.

41. Groveport Madison.

Thanks for posting, Bob.

Monroeville... INSANE!!!!!! Can you imagine what kids will be asking 20 years from now? (And yes, that is if the Mayan calendar is wrong.)

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 1, 2011

Anyone check the home page announcement!?!?!?!

Good GOD! this site rocks!!!

Steve Lester added to this discussion on March 1, 2011

Congratulations to Cleveland Senate wrestlers Vincent Morgan, junior 285, of John Adams, and Irayel Williams senior 189 of James Ford Rhodes for making it to state. Morgan had to win his go to match against Glenville's Antwan Crutcher who had previously beaten him.

Glenville, who arguably had their best team in forever, had to settle for 3 state alternate spots out of Mentor. Tough sledding.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 1, 2011

Steve: Glad you mentioned those kids. I'm always excited to see Cleve. Public school kids do well. I'd also like to mention that Shaw had a 215, a first year kid and scholarship football player, finish 3rd at districts. What an incredibly talented athlete this kid must be!

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on March 1, 2011

Twinsburg takes second at Mentor, but only gets 3 to the show. What is your take, is Meat Grinder now back? great Dave Mariola never went away just switched divisions.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 1, 2011

Meatgrinder is light years from being back if you consider "back", as i do, to being the days in the 80s when state powers Lake Catholic, St Joes, Nordonia, Maple Heights, N Olmsted, Lorain Southview, st Ignatius & Elyria were thrown in there with st Eds-- and then in the early to mid 90s when Bill Barger brought his greatest Walsh Jesuit teams there and st Eds was forced to take 2nds until Walsh J dropped to Div II.

and heres the kicker, in some of those years Mentor got only THREE quals to state, yes 3 !!!

Mentor's true Meatgrinder was the days when Div I in Ohio ruled, and one year Mentor crowned 10 of the 13 Div I state champs. s/BobP

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 1, 2011

"Morgan had to win his go to match against Glenville's Antwan Crutcher who had previously beaten him."

Just by chance, I had that match. In fact it was the last match on Saturday. I knew they had met a number of times this year which generally makes for a tough match. IOW, they know each other too well. This was no exception and if I recall, it went to the third OT. They seemed a "little" tired afterward!

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 1, 2011

I was unaware of the national rankings until just now. I live out here in Iowa and the team I help coach is a very good team. However, with the collection of very talented wrestling in eastern Iowa, it resembles the greater Cleveland area when I was growing up in the sport in Ohio. This year, our team wrestled Iowa City West (2x), Bettendorf, and Waverly Shell Rock. Iowa City West is in our conference, so a number of our kids saw them at the conference tournament. Wow, didn't realize eastern Iowa had as much firepower on the national level as they do.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next