Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Let's see this forum grow
Mitch Clark added to this discussion on February 24, 2011

I have always been a promoter, I like to see things that I believe in grow.... maybe that is why I am currently in sales. This is a great forum and yet I don't think it has reached it has come close to reaching its potential. There are so many former collegiate wrestlers, All-Americans and multiple state champs from Ohio that don't engage in conversation on these forums. Where are you Eric Smith, Blake Kaplan, Will Knight, Rob Archer, Dan DiCesare, Matt Fratta, Brian Roskovich, Jeff Bucher, Jeff Ratliff, Jesse Leng, Anthony Magistrelli, Nate Costello, Anthony Gary, Rob Sessley, Nick Nutter, Charlie Clark, Nathanial Augustson, Eric Odita and other former Buckeyes sign on and share your thoughts.... it's great, you don't have to hide behind an anonymous screen name. I left out some because I know it is tough to be a full time coach at the collegiate level and post on these forums with all the NCAA guidelines. My goal is to get all of these guys screen names and have them reply to this post and perhaps share their best Ohio wrestling memory...

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 25, 2011

Mitch: Maybe I should start a new post but I was wondering: after the teams have wrestled two duals each weekend until the B10 Tournament, is the week off necessary?

Other than health reasons -- people who may be nicked or worse -- is there any other advantage to the extra week off? I wouldn't think scouting given that it is likely you have already wrestled your opponent and seen most video available for the dual.

Mitch Clark added to this discussion on February 25, 2011

Great question, this one ironically hits home with me because my senior year I lost one match all season and it happened to be on the very last duel meet of the year against Illinois. I remember feeling very run down at that time and I credit a lot of that to the grind of the Big Ten schedule. Two weeks later I won the Big Ten tournament and avenged my lost to Illinois in the finals. I felt a lot better with a two week break from competition... basically my body had a chance to heal.

On the other hand as a fan (and you can probably relate), selfishly I find it tough to wait 2 weeks to watch the conference championship and then another 2 weeks for the NCAA tournament. As you can imagine, excitement is running high in Ithaca, we have been waiting for March for a long time!

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 25, 2011

Thanks for the response.

Your right. I wait half a year for it to get started then have to wait a month for the big show.

If I am not mistaken, some years ago that week between B10s and the NCAAs was filled with non-D1 tournaments. Didn't the winners qualify for NCAAS?

Carlton Haselrig and Bruce Baumgartner come to mind.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on February 25, 2011

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Thanks for the response.

Your right. I wait half a year for it to get started then have to wait a month for the big show.

If I am not mistaken, some years ago that week between B10s and the NCAAs was filled with non-D1 tournaments. Didn't the winners qualify for NCAAS?

Carlton Haselrig and Bruce Baumgartner come to mind."

Mark Hawald from John Carroll was another that comes to mind. Placed D-1 if I recall correctly.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 27, 2011

Back to the original question...

How does one grow a forum? I think that signing one's name scares a lot of people. For example, Buckeye talk is always very popular here yet what if one has a criticism? When you sign your name, esp. if you were an ex-buck wrestler, you risk alienating former teammates or the staff. That's why it's important to be thoughtful when posting.

Personally, I think that promotions would be a good idea. For example, what if ohiowrestling.net put together a committee and announced awards at the end of the season that were Ohio-centric? Coach of the year, wrestler of the year, top wrestlers at each weight class for each division, etc... Certainly that would create interest. I'd be willing to work at this if others were as well. I also think we could affiliate this site with buckeyewrestling.com and gohiocasts.com

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 27, 2011

I want the forum to grow but with people that know wrestling. 95% of contributions are very good. I'd rather there be sincere posts about topics in wrestling by people that bled the sport than some arbitrary number of contributors. I take quality over quantity any day.

I would love to have a bunch of former college wrestlers on board sharing their experience and using it as an educational tool for the next generation of wrestlers. I want the good, the bad and the ugly. Let others learn from your experience.

Saying everything is shits and giggles is a lie. Offer up what you have and your writing will express a lot about you. As does name calling, being overly emotional and bullying. Readers can draw their own conclusions.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 27, 2011

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Saying everything is shits and giggles is a lie."

Ain't that the truth!

Tommy Rowlands added to this discussion on February 27, 2011

I read this forum all of the time. It's great! Thought I would sign in.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 27, 2011

"I want the forum to grow but with people that know wrestling. 95% of contributions are very good. I'd rather there be sincere posts about topics in wrestling by people that bled the sport than some arbitrary number of contributors. I take quality over quantity any day. "

Agreed, Rex. If this place became overrun with junk and trolls (one is more than enough), it would be depressing. I'd love to see more posts, but not at the expense of the incredible quality.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on February 28, 2011

"I want the forum to grow but with people that know wrestling. 95% of contributions are very good. I'd rather there be sincere posts about topics in wrestling by people that bled the sport than some arbitrary number of contributors. I take quality over quantity any day.

I would love to have a bunch of former college wrestlers on board sharing their experience and using it as an educational tool for the next generation of wrestlers. I want the good, the bad and the ugly. Let others learn from your experience.

Saying everything is shits and giggles is a lie. Offer up what you have and your writing will express a lot about you. As does name calling, being overly emotional and bullying. Readers can draw their own conclusions."

Rex, you hit the nail on the head with this post. There are times that I am about to post a response on this thread and decide not to do so because of the 5% that you speak of. I think that there are times that people go beyond playing devil's advocate and promote hostility merely for their own "shits and giggles." I get enough confrontation and the like in my everyday life and chosen profession that I see no sense in adding to it on a forum.

I want to say that I love the intellectual back-and-forth about the finer points of wrestling between the more seasoned posters on this board such as yourself, Hank, Dan, Mike, etc. Further, I do like the lightheartedness provided by Ben or Mark. It adds a bit of humility to the board that can be good for all of us.

With all of that being said, I am happy that Dan and company have put together this forum and that it has grown to include not only results but thoughtful discussion of Ohio high school wrestling and collegiate wrestling as whole. It is a nice break to the day to check in and catch up on wrestling from knowledgeable posters. Keep up the good work guys.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 28, 2011

Personally, I like any thread that features responses from 3 former D1 national champs.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 28, 2011

Agreed, Hank!

I use this forum as my serious forum. Although I do joke a bit, this forum is legit, and higher on my "thinkers" list.

If I were to recommend a site, I'd ask what they were looking for. This serves a different purpose. And I love it!

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Personally, I like any thread that features responses from 3 former D1 national champs."

Agreed! :)

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Agreed, Hank!

I use this forum as my serious forum. Although I do joke a bit, this forum is legit, and higher on my "thinkers" list.

If I were to recommend a site, I'd ask what they were looking for. This serves a different purpose. And I love it!"

I didn't mean to imply that you don't post in a serious manner on this forum. Rather, I enjoy your brand of humor, and it is an added bonus on this forum. I hope that goes without saying (but I said it anyways).

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next