Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: NCAA Allocations
John Ice added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

http://www.NCAA.com/sports/wrestling/d1

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 24, 2011

I am a big fan of the new system. Here are the wild card allocations per class (data stolen from D1CollegeWrestling.net).

As a MAC fan, I am a little disappointed with only 18 AQs, but you earn what you earn. After WC selection I am hoping for 23 from the MAC.

48 Wild Cards will be given out

5 @ 125
4 @ 133
5 @ 141
6 @ 149
4 @ 157
6 @ 165
4 @ 174
5 @ 184
4 @ 197
5 @ 285

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 24, 2011

Looking at it from a Buckeye perspective:

125 - 5 spots. Touris would have to have the tournament of his life to qualify. McDonough and Precin are taking two of the spots, with Sanders taking the third. Pataky is a shoe-in if healthy, leaving one spot. I don't think he has enough upsets in him to qualify. Now, if Pataky doesn't wrestle, then it takes one upset, and a lucky draw (Boyle?) could get him there. Chances of qualifying - 5%

133 - 8 spots. Paddock should be a lock with eight automatic qualifiers. Even if he isn't healthy, he should be able to catch a wild card so long as he will be able to wrestle at nationals. Chances of qualifying - 90%

141 - 6 spots. Languis is reallistically fighting for one spot, as Russell, Kennedy, Thorn, Marion and Alton have five locked up. It would take an upset or two, but it's not impossible, as I suspect Languis will be seeded around 7-8. Chances of qualifying - 20%

149 - 8 spots. Grandominco will, in all likelihood, be one of the three who doesn't make it. All he would have to do is win one match, and, unfortunately, I don't see it happening. Chances of qualifying - 5%

157 - 6 spots. Nemec/Kusar have a shot, but would have to wrestle better than they have all year, at least more consistently. Chances of qualifying - 33%

165 - 5 spots. If Howe is not healthy, I think Sponseller will be the #1 seed. He should be an automatic, getting a wild card in the worst case scenario. Chances of qualifying - 95%

174 - 8 spots. Heflin has been close against the top of the conference, but hasn't broken through. I think he is a very good bet to qualify, and would have to go 0-2 to not make it out. Can't see that happening. Chances of qualifying - 90%

184 - 6 spots. This one is tricky. There are three very good wrestlers at this weight, one good but injured wrestlers, and then a handful of close wrestlers. Magrum is going to have to beat someone good to qualify, or hope that Wright is too hurt to wrestle well. Chances of qualifying - 50%

197 - 6 spots. Capone is going to have to beat a top 11 wrestler to get out. Can he do it, yes. He is the wildcard with his pinning ability. Still think he is giving up too much weight here. We will see. Chances of qualifying - 25%

285 - 6 spots. If Stolarsky can win a match that will be a victory. Rooting for the kid to get one win before he closes out his career. Chances of qualifying - less than 1%.

I see the Bucks getting 4, Paddock, Sponseller, Heflin and Magrum. In fact, it is more likely that they send 3 (no Magrum) than 5 (Languis, Nemec/Kusar or Capone). Given their recent history of underperforming at the Big Ten Tourney, any place not in double digits would be good.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on February 24, 2011

The MAC only getting 18 is crazy, but I guess it all goes off of the schedule you wrestle. I think OU should get 4-5 guys out with Purdue, Schuth, Johnson, Lindsay and throw in a possible outside shot with Ramos or Squire.

18 just seems way too low with Central, Kent and OU all have 4-5 guys ranked in the top 33 from what I have seen.

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on February 24, 2011

Agreed Luke, I couldn't believe the number of weight classes with only 1 qualifier!!!

Luke Moore added to this discussion on February 24, 2011

I think the Big Ten gets too many automatic bids. OSU is clearly the 3rd best team in Ohio but probably have the best chance of getting the most guys out. Win one match and you are in with a lot of those weights. Most weights in the MAC you have to win it for an auto bid.

Obviously I am not saying that the Big Ten is not the superior conference, but it seems a little unbalanced to me.

OSU fans, you may begin bashing me now!!!

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 24, 2011

I disagree. OSU probably only qualified a spot at 133, 165, 174 and 184. You can't argue that those wrestlers deserve to make it to nationals.

Now, OSU does get the advantage of superior conference wrestlers who qualify more spots. However, the Ohio State wrestlers have to beat or upset a much better wrestler than one from the MAC.

While the better wrestlers in the MAC have less margin for error, they have less competition to earn that qualifying spot.

I guess, in the end, I would rather face Northern Illinois' 157 pounder for a spot at nationals, than the 157 from Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan State, Northwestern, etc.

Just my opinion.

Dan Arthur added to this discussion on February 24, 2011

Luke,

I think the MAC will pick up a decent number of wild cards.

For a six team conference that has a couple of teams that are having off years 24-28 after the W/C would seem about right.
Not much coming from No.Ill or EMU and Buff has two studs and not much else.
CMU has come back to the pack a bit.
Should be good news for OU and Kent.

Last edited by Dan Arthur on February 24, 2011; edited 1 time in total

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 24, 2011

numbers don't lie in this tale--

and after several recent NCAA tourn i have done a conference by conferance breakdown-- a simple ratio HOW MANY QUAL's did it take to crown one AA in each conference/region?? The lowest ratios are the most deserving conferences.

The Big Ten is often the most deserving with the fewest Quals per AA-- and often the Big 5 Okst, Ok, Neb, Iowa st & Missouri have been tops with the Big Ten 2nd. But those are ALWAYS the TOP 2 despite the many Quals they get, fact is they do more with those Quals than anyone else.

The ACC has yet to prove they deserve all the Quals they get under the new system, they still don't have many AAs considering the fact they more than doubled their number of Quals. The MAC has been geting about what they deserve. And the EWL was the fatest and they deservedly lost Quals under the new system.

Numbers don't lie in this drill. s/BobP

► Add to the Discussion