Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Discussion Topic: Who beat Tim Dernlan?
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 24, 2011

Gary: My initial post should have been "undefeated [while wrestling 4 years on varsity].

As (I think it was Hank) pointed out, freshmen were not allowed to compete on varsity back then.

I noted that - but did not change the original post - and then asked if anyone thought there was someone back then that could have stopped him his freshman year.

Any insight on that question?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on February 24, 2011

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Gary: My initial post should have been "undefeated [while wrestling 4 years on varsity].

As (I think it was Hank) pointed out, freshmen were not allowed to compete on varsity back then.

I noted that - but did not change the original post - and then asked if anyone thought there was someone back then that could have stopped him his freshman year.

Any insight on that question?"

Mark, the interesting part is Tom won state his sophomore year at 103. The state champ, and keep in mind there was only one division back then, his freshman year at 103 was another Maple wrestler,2-timer Frank Romano.

I am guessing they probably drilled with each other at some point during that season, only a guess on my part, and would have loved to have seen those sessions to see how Tom did against Frank. I wonder what anyone in the room that year would have to say about your question.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 24, 2011

I don't know what happened to Scott, he was a state champion in "88. He was a better at freestyle than folkstyle. Maybe my memory is wrong but I think he placed top 6 @ junior nationals in greco and freestyle as a freshman at 105 in '85. There was no cadet division as we now know it back in the day. It was one division freshman through senior with the middleweight classes having over 140 wrestlers in the bracket.

In '86, Team Ohio went to the AAU Nationals in Indy the week before the Junior Nationals. So, you wrestled a bunch of matches there prior to going to the biggest, toughest HS tournament in the country.

As I recall, Scott wrestled 114.5 at Indy with the intention of dropping to 105 for Cedar Falls. I think he struggled with the weight cut and affected his wrestling negatively.

I will ask Gary Wise or Mark Gerhard whenever I run into them again because a case could be made (not that it matters much other than that it is interesting) that Pergram was the best freestyle/greco wrestler at the time, age division wise in the country as a freshman. He was that good.

Last edited by Rex Holman on February 24, 2011; edited 1 time in total

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on February 24, 2011

Quote from Gino Iacoboni's post:

"Joe, I suspect you're thinking of Greg Zoloty from Independence who won Ironman that year at 125. 125 DIII was very tough that year as Zoloty ended up third. Wroble from Chanel won the weight and Wentz from Streetsboro was runner-up."

Hey thanks, Gino.... that's exactly who I was thinking of. Greg Morgan at Independence had some real tough kids those years

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 24, 2011

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"...

I will ask Gary Wise ... whenever I run into them again ...."

He (Gary Wise [if we are talking about the current Beavercreek coach]) SHOULD be at Hilliard Darby this weekend for the District Tournament. Any chance you make it out?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5