Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Who beat Tim Dernlan?
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

heres a forgotten one, CLARK FORWARD had great 4 year career at Archbold in late 90s-- TWO losses only & both in OT, one to Jim Creech from W Milton in state finals and one to-- i think it maybe was Anthony Ralph of Chanel-- but i know it was at Top Gun. I saw it, was either Ralph or a Southeast or Streesboro kid. For sure was at Top Gun which in its day was a super tourn.

the 3rd Johnny McGhee loss-- all were his junior year-- was to Josh Schroeder of Aurora.

The Monroeville Four as they will be called years from now: Tessari 5 losses, Hunter Stieber 2, Logan and Chris Phillips 1 loss each-- EVERY single loss was in Ironman.

another super match at the Medina tourn the same year in early 90s as Jimmy Johnson over Dernlan, FECKENIN of Ledgemont lost to Roger Chandler in OT. i thought Feckenin had winning tkdwn, Chandler standing but balancing himself by puting both hands on the mat with Feckinin in control behind him. No call. s/BobP

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Quote from Tom Varner's post:

"
John was a beast his senior year."

A man amoung boys as I recall.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Naming the losses for these guys is easy. Name all 26 guys who beat me in high school, now that would be impressive!!

Who was the guys from CAPE that Dernaln wrestled in the finals his senior year?

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Who were the three guys to beat Alan Fried in high school?

bonus if you know the 6 that beat him in College.

Side note, I don't know

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"Naming the losses for these guys is easy. Name all 26 guys who beat me in high school, now that would be impressive!!

Who was the guys from CAPE that Dernaln wrestled in the finals his senior year?"

Chantell Sanders. I believe he was a 2x champ himself, right?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Sanders was a defending champ...and very good in his own right.

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"heres a forgotten one, CLARK FORWARD had great 4 year career at Archbold in late 90s-- TWO losses only & both in OT, one to Jim Creech from W Milton in state finals and one to-- I think it maybe was Anthony Ralph of Chanel-- but I know it was at Top Gun. I saw it, was either Ralph or a Southeast or Streesboro kid. For sure was at Top Gun which in its day was a super tourn.s/BobP"

Bob p has a steel-trap memory..... he is right. Mark Wentz of Streetsboro beat Clark Forward at the Top Gun at 125 pounds in the late 90's. Wentz was a senior and Forward a sophomore. This may have been a factor in Forward moving up to 130 lbs. for the State Tournament. At State at 130, Forward was to wrestle the winner of another Streetsboro guy, Chuck Gerak and Steve Coljohn (Independence). Gerak had won the previous meeting, but Coljohn won this time. He then lost to Forward in the finals. Think Coljohn may have placed very high or won the Ironman that year - which was a big surprise if I remember right when it happened. Bob p would know..

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"Naming the losses for these guys is easy. Name all 26 guys who beat me in high school, now that would be impressive!!
"

I think it would be impressive if you could name all 26. I can't remember the guys I lost to in HS (yes it was less than 26). As for college...it would be easier to remember the handful (or was that 1) I beat :-D

Matt Schein added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Kyle Ott only had 2 losses in high school. one his freshman year in the state semis i believe and one as a senior.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

"I believe one of Pflugs losses was to C.P. Schlatter , and two more came in the state finals"

I could be wrong but I seem to recall two losses to Schlatter. One at Brecksville (where there was a slight melt down)and one at the Mayfield Big 8 about two weeks later.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Quote from Mark Palumbo's post:

"

Side note, I don't know"

Tom Brands
Tom Brands
Tom Brands
Tom Brands
Tom Brands
Dave Droegenmueller

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Quote from Mark Palumbo's post:

"Who were the three guys to beat Alan Fried in high school?

Side note, I don't know"

Alan Fried went 139-3 in high school; 3-1-1-1 at States. In the great Ohio Wrestling site interviews, Fried talks about two guys that beat him in high school: Steve Dernlan and Scott Pergram- possibly for a total of three losses.

Here's a link:
http://www.ohiowrestlingsite.com/articles/article39.php

As far as college, the only guy other than Tom Brands to beat him was Dave Droegenmueller of Nebraska. Fried lost to him 7-5 in the 1991 National Duals.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

"but Coljohn won this time. He then lost to Forward in the finals. Think Coljohn may have placed very high or won the Ironman that year - which was a big surprise if I remember right when it happened. Bob p would know.."
-----------------
JoeB,
i think we are talking 1997-- scanning the records i don't see Coljohn in Ironman finals in the late 90s or taking 3rd or 5th place.

But yes thats the guy Mark Wentz who had a rivalry with Anthony Ralph that year and Wentz did give Clark Forward one of his only 2 high school losses, at Top Gun in OT.

yes C.P. beat Pflug twice, first time easily when Pflug wrestled conservatively-- 2nd time a one pointer C.P. barely survived Pflugs speed when Joe Pflug opened up, 7-6 i think the 2nd match was.

Kyle Ott also beat Joe Pflug 10-4 at 103 in 1999. Lenhard beat Pflug in year 2000 in state finals 3-2 at 119. So if someone said Pflug had 4 losses those are the 4: 2 to C.P., 1 to Ott and 1 to Lenhard.

DeOnte Penn beat Ott in 1998 at 103 in the quarters, one of Ott's 2 hs losses. Ott came back and beat Penn for 3rd at state, and Mason Lenhard won the wt. Ott's other hs loss his senior year when he had been out until Winter because of numerous knee surgeries, he lost when he first came back.

Harry Lester was also at 103 back then in Div III. ***LOOK AT THESE NAMES, some of ohio's very greatest lower wts ever all in the same era at 103, Ott, Lenhard, Pflug, Harry Lester. s/BobP

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Quote from Doug Brandt's post:

"...Alan Fried went 139-3 in high school; 3-1-1-1 at States. In the great Ohio Wrestling site interviews, Fried talks about two guys that beat him in high school: Steve Dernlan and Scott Pergram- possibly for a total of three losses..."

Are you saying that two of Fried's three losses were to Pergram and Dernlan? I'm just going from memory here, but I thought Fried's three losses were to Mike Elsass (Hoover) in the State semi-finals as a freshman. Then to Shjamil Pattie (Elyria) in the Regional finals his sophomore year, and then to a PA (North Allegeny, maybe) wrestler up a weight or two his senior season in a dual. Am I missing something (totally possible, it happens a lot)?

John Ice added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Ohio Wrestling Site: It seemed to me that you made a huge jump in your wrestling between your sophomore and junior, going from barely squeaking out a state title over Shjamil Pattie (one week after he defeated you) to completely dominating all comers the last two years….. what do you attribute your improvement to?

Fried: I think I improved an equal amount every year, it’s just that I was reaching that top State and National level as a freshman and sophomore and then went beyond it as a Junior and Senior because I never slowed down in my training and attention to technical details. The truth is, when you’ve got a Gold medal on your mind, you can’t be all hemmed up by the drama of the high school wrestling scene. You are required to rise above all that gossip and storytelling.

But, the thing about Pattie, that guy was so tough. He never got tired, never stopped scrambling. Our match in the finals was the only time I felt so exhausted that I almost threw up. We went at it for 9 minutes and I could not break him.”

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next