Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Who beat Tim Dernlan?
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

I was revisiting this video... just because, I guess, and I noticed his record and the early commentary. Just wondering who beat him.

Along those lines, since Ohio never had an undefeated high school wrestler, with those having less than 3 or 5 losses, can we name the losses?

One more time: Of those Ohio High School Wrestlers that have less than 3 (or maybe 5) losses on their record, who were the losses?

Example:
Jim Jordan (Graham) 180-1 (maybe)
Rob Johnson (Watkins Memorial) dec. Jim Jordan (Graham) 2-1

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

I think Tim had gone totally undefeated for two years at 103, before moving up to 112 and losing to Jimmy Johnson (Walsh Jesuit) 7-5 OT at the Medina.

Later that year at 112 lbs., Bo Wilkovich (Columbia) beat him 14-8 in the quarters at state, and again 3-2 for third place at state

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

Tim was undefeated as a senior at 112 and I don't remember anyone really coming close to him that year

Awesome info. Thanks.

ps: It's 30 degrees up here. BAH!!!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

Tim Dernlan was excellent. I've always wondered if he wasn't feeling well or just had a bad weekend at state his junior year, or if Wilkovich was just better than him. Also, that match with Jimmy Johnson was at Medina, you've got to think Jeff Cole has it somewhere in the Channel 9 archives. I'd love to see it.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

Quote from Joe Boardwine's post:

"I think Tim had gone totally undefeated for two years at 103, before moving up to 112 and losing to Jimmy Johnson (Walsh) 7-5 OT at the Medina.

Later that year at 112 lbs., Bo Wilkovich (Columbia) beat him 14-8 in the quarters at state, and again 3-2 for third place at state"

Growing up with those guys, I saw none of them loose often. I never saw any of them loose twice to someone until it happened to Tim. I was sure he would beat Bo in that 2nd match. That being said, there is not a lot of time between the state qtrs and the 3rd & 4th finals to wrestle and break down the match you lost to be prepared for him the 2nd time. Kudos to Mr. Wilkovich...his game worked twice on one of the all time greats from OH!

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

I wrestled for him at Ashland and he actually mentioned this last year on a trip when a guy asked him. He never mentioned he was sick he just said it was a bad tournament.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

..also his first season as the lone Dernlan for WLS. Wonder if that had any affect on him.

C.P. Schlatter -- one loss to Michael Martin from Great Bridge, VA in Best of East finals.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

Quote from Tony Bradberry's post:

"I wrestled for him at Ashland and he actually mentioned this last year on a trip when a guy asked him. He never mentioned he was sick he just said it was a bad tournament."

Those guys didn't make excuses anyway. That was not their style. I learned a lot of good life's lessons from Dave and the boys. Got a lot of bruises too...

As for you Mr. Hiatt...I would have bruised you up :-o To bad you're just not in my weight class any more ;)

Last edited by Patrick Campbell on February 22, 2011; edited 1 time in total

Brady... C.P. Good one! And does this mean he only had one loss in high school or this is at least one kid he lost to. It could be either, just don't remember his total number of losses.

His brother lost to DiSalvo and Johnstone. May have lost to Miller while bumping up 2 or 3 weight classes. Also lost to Metcalf at Medina (a match I was there for. I may look through the old tapes to see if I can find it).

John Flanigan added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

I believe that Burnett lost to Price (Brookside) twice - his only two high school losses.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

Dustin lost to Metcalf and up 1-2 weights against Mike Miller as a senior. His losses at Ironman as a soph came in back-to-back matches against Johsntone and Shane Grogg.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

John McGhee I think had three losses. I forget agaisnt who. Chad Owens maybe one or two?

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

So, my freshman year I worked out in the same room as Tim Dernlan the week before state. I was a freshman 103, he was a monster 112.

I accidentally poked him in the eye while hand fighting. The next couple minutes were not fun. At all.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Brady... C.P. Good one! And does this mean he only had one loss in high school or this is at least one kid he lost to. It could be either, just don't remember his total number of losses."

He had only one h.s. loss.

Patrick -- I hope so old man -- :) you would have been a sr. when I was a 7th grader.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next