Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: University of Iowa 19, University of Minnesota 12
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

what were J Rob's comments following the Penn St dual, anyone know?

Park Ridge, Ill. – The Big Ten Conference office today issued a public reprimand of Minnesota wrestling head coach J Robinson for violating the Big Ten Sportslike Conduct Agreement following Minnesota’s dual match against PENN State on February 13, 2011. Robinson’s post-match comments were in violation of Big Ten Sportslike Conduct Agreement 10.01.1.A.6.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

"Robinson accused Penn State 149-pounder Frank Molinaro of faking the injury to get a timeout during his 6-5 victory over Minnesota's Danny Zilverberg."

He laid it on pretty good and accused the PSU coaches of not making him wrestle even though he claimed they knew he wasn't hurt.

Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Good for J. Rob.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Grant Varnum said: "I thought that I saw that PSU/MINN tied in a dual meet last week..."

Grant: I was speaking in a general sense. I do think Cael has done an excellent job at Penn State. But I consider Iowa and Minny to be the cream of the Big Ten in general because of how well both squads have performed over the last decade or so. J. Rob has coached three teams to national titles. Minny does recruit well but they also really get the most out of the majority of their recruits. Don't forget--Jake Deitchler would be in their lineup right now if not for the fact he is recovering from concussion syndrome. And Iowa under Tom Brands remains the standard of excellence throughout college wrestling.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 24, 2011

I have watched a couple.

McD is on fire, he looks great. Potential Champ. Sophomore.

Ramos is solid AA this year. Freshman.

Look forward to the rest of the dual.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 25, 2011

I really liked the tilt Cody Yohn hit, had to watch it a couple times. There was no momentum for Iowa to turn once they hit the mat by virtue of how deep he committed his bent leg.

@174 and 184, Iowa sort of imploded. I did not get the poor shot by Lofthouse against Glasser, that was not good and easily defended. Plus, he was up by one because the match ended 7-4 and that ended up being a 4 point swing. Freshman mistake.

Gambrall was instructed to ride out Steinhaus in the 1st. Steinhaus needs some work getting off bottom. Gambrall took one shot and Steinhaus controlled all the ties thereafter. It looked like he was a deer in the headlights for the last two periods.

While it made for exciting wrestling, there were some definite inabilities or mistakes shown that you can't have at conference or NCAAs.

Also, Brands is not offering a whole lot on interviews other than having a lot of work to do. When he does offer something interesting it is very smart and insightful. J Rob is a great interview.

For Iowa to win Nationals, those guys will have to step up. It could be the stress from a long season or being run in the redline for extended period of time. But those mistakes were big and have to be corrected going forward otherwise those two guys don't place at NCAAs.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 27, 2011

Rex: perhaps no program corrects mistakes better than Iowa. Right now I don't think they can win it this year because they don't have enough high quality wrestlers. For this reason, Cornell still looks like the team to beat.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 27, 2011

Hank-

Maybe so, but never say never.

Cornell is definitely the odds on favorite.

I am counting Iowa as having 2 finalists at 125 and 141. I think Ramos, St John, Lofthouse x2, Gambrall and Rasing all could AA. I think Ramos is a very good bet. I am counting 5 question marks which represents a huge point total. All those guys could very well put it together in Philly.

The guys who put it together at the NCAAs are the ones who are best prepared mentally and physically for three days in March. period.

I think there is a good chance that Iowa gets hot this year and it is a two team race. Big Tens will be telling.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 27, 2011

I love the subplot of Koll vs. Brands, which adds some gas to the fire. In general, I don't think I would provide more motivation for the Iowa wrestlers, which I believe Koll has done.

Koll is such a good coach, maybe it was calculate to add incentive to his group as well.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 27, 2011

Penn State has more potential high scoring than Iowa.

PSU has possible frosh finalists at 157 and 174 and another potential champ in Molinaro. Tyler Clark at 133 could be a high finisher as well. Cam Wade not a certainty but is good enough at 285. Alton at 141 is a strong possibility to AA. Quentin Wright remains the X-factor as he's really not himself this season. And Pataky certainly has the ability to get on to the platform at 125. I think at worse PSU will get five AA's and four of them could place very high. Indeed, a hot PSU could win it all.

Iowa has possible finalists in McDonough and Marion But after that there's a gap. Ramos has been terrific and could make a lot of noise at 133. But St John, Gambrall, Lofthouse are all not certain to AA. And Rasing at 285 probably fits this category as well. Janssen and Ballweg seem like 2-2 type guys. I'm missing someone...

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 27, 2011

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Tyler Clark at 133 could be a high finisher as well. "

I believe you mean Andrew Long.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 27, 2011

Big Tens in six days

Anyone care to speculate 1-2-3.

1. Iowa