Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: University of Iowa 19, University of Minnesota 12
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 20, 2011

University of Iowa 19, University of Minnesota 12
125 pounds: Matt McDonough (UI) dec. Zachary Sanders (UM) 10-3
133 pounds: Tony Ramos (UI) dec. David Thorn (UM) 7-3
141 pounds: Montell Marion (UI) dec. Michael Thorn (UM) 4-3
149 pounds: Daniel Zilverberg (UM) dec. Mark Ballweg (UI) 5-3 OT
157 pounds: Derek St. John (UI) md. Matt Mincey (UM) 20-8
165 pounds: Cody Yohn (UM) dec. Aaron Janssen (UI) 6-4
174 pounds: Scott Glasser (UM) dec. Ethen Lofthouse (UI) 7-5
184 pounds: Kevin Steinhaus (UM) dec. Grant Gambrall (UI) 5-4
197 pounds: Luke Lofthouse (UI) Sonny Yohn (UM) 7-4
285 pounds: Blake Rasing (UI) Anthony Nelson (UM) 4-2

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 20, 2011

This dual will be aired on the BTN at 8:30 tonight. I listened to the live audio and it sounded awesome.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 20, 2011

Blast it! It's 8:30 central, 9:30 eastern.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 20, 2011

This dual is outstanding to watch, two great (and young) teams going at it.

I know Iowa is despised in the by many wrestling fans, but I love watching them wrestle and marvel at their intensity.

I always get a kick out of their interviews, too... Like 10 Brands brothers answering questions. Hilarious.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 21, 2011

These two teams are the cream of the Big Ten. Both do such a good job of preparing their wrestlers. Not only are these kids in excellent shape but they have such a strong sense of what they are trying to do on the mat. I am impressed with Ramos, St John, Zilverberg and Steinhaus--all redshirt frosh that will challenge for AA honors. As I watched this telecast I thought often of what Rex has to say about the importance of working with each individual wrestler on how to improve in all positions.

Penn State may prove to belong to this group but it has not yet been demonstrated.

After watching McDonough tear apart Zach Sanders last night, I have to wonder who's going to stop him from winning four titles? How do you beat someone who constantly attacks and never stops wrestling?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 21, 2011

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"
After watching McDonough tear apart Zach Sanders last night, I have to wonder who's going to stop him from winning four titles? How do you beat someone who constantly attacks and never stops wrestling?"

I haven't watched last night's dual yet, but McDonough majored Sanders a couple times last year. You beat him by just being better and controlling the match. See Brandon Precin. Precin controls the ties, doesn't let McDonough get to his legs, gets a takedown of his own, and rides very tough.

At Midlands, Precin beat McDonough 3-1. In their dual meet in January, Precin was winning 3-1 and had secured a riding time point, but McDonough hit him with a head and arm to his back with 30 seconds left and stuck him. Other than that, though, it was a very controlled match.

Another way he might not win it this year is if he faces Anthony Robles (and he'll have to beat Robles to win it). Robles is a very tough cookie to crack if you've never wrestled him before, and McDonough hasn't wrestled him before. He gets on top, gets a hold of your arm and before you know it he's tilted you 5 times.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 21, 2011

Steinhaus has been really impressive this year and expect him to AA. Looking forward to see how 285 shakes out. Rasing and Nelson are both doing a nice job. A lot of parity at 285 this year, which means probably a lot of mild upsets at the NCAAs at that weight.
Looking forward to watching this dual when it is aired again.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 21, 2011

Ben: Excellent points. I've always been impressed with Sanders but he doesn't match up well with McDonough. No doubt that Precin and Robles are horses and can beat anybody.

Rex: I didn't know much about Steinhaus when he beat Magrum. I've watched him twice since. He is a tremendous young upper wt.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

Hank-
I did not know who Steinhaus was before this year, but the guy goes and does not stop. He does so many things right that you would think he is a senior. I think I will look up his prep record.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Hank-
I did not know who Steinhaus was before this year, but the guy goes and does not stop. He does so many things right that you would think he is a senior. I think I will look up his prep record."

He was "Mr. Minnesota" wrestler in 2009 but I don't belive he placed at Sr. Nationals -- wrestling around 160 or 171. He competed in the small school division in MN.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

After the match he ran towards the locker room, and I remember thinking that he wasn't even breathing hard. He wore down Gambrall.

Is that The Minnesota Style?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

Regarding style, everyone has one. The influence by the coaches affects the way the athlete performs. Coaches influence an athlete in many ways.

Physicality, pace, technique are all parts which determine the collective whole of style.

Saying there is a Minnesota style reflects dominant wrestling traits that you see out of their best wrestlers.

So, I think you could say that Steinhaus' performance is the style, which J Rob and staff attempt to instill in their wrestlers.

Last edited by Rex Holman on February 22, 2011; edited 1 time in total

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"After the match he ran towards the locker room, and I remember thinking that he wasn't even breathing hard. He wore down Gambrall.

Is that The Minnesota Style?"

Thought the same thing. And the way he dispatched Quentin Wright was just the same: methodical, in control, no fatigue.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"After the match he ran towards the locker room, and I remember thinking that he wasn't even breathing hard. He wore down Gambrall.

Is that The Minnesota Style?"

Thought the same thing. And the way he dispatched Quentin Wright was just the same: methodical, in control, no fatigue."

He took out Chris Perry for Ok St. in the same manner.

Grant Varnum added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

"Penn State may prove to belong to this group but it has not yet been demonstrated"

I thought that I saw that PSU/MINN tied in a dual meet last week...and there were several matches that could have gone differently for either team (MINN barely picking up majors with both Yohns and Glasser, Ruth missing a major by 1 point in the last 10 seconds, and Taylor barely missing a pin call)...

Had those results went a little differently, MINN could have posted 3 less team points, and PSU could have picked up 2 more, making it a 20 - 15 win for PSU just that quickly...even if only one of those listed above had occurred, it still would have resulted in a PSU win.

I think that Iowa is clearly a step ahead in the Big-10, but PSU/MINN are also right in the hunt, and very evenly matched...that first week in March is going to be a BLAST to watch.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next