Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Rep. Jim Jordan
Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 20, 2011

Regardless of one's politics, seems like good press for what one can accomplsh after wrestling.

http://www.ohio.com/editorial/commentary/116555083.html

Sleeps in his office to save money and probably avoiding a run at Senator Brown's seat, which he could win, to see his boy wrestle at SPG.

Will is among the most-read national columnists, along with Paul Krugman who is on the same page in today's Akron Beacon journal.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 20, 2011

there was a piece on ABC's Nightline about how many Congressmen & women do sleep in their office, quite a few of them.

Jim Jordan told me he's always in the House gym anyway, plus he comes home most weekends.

i surmise since he is very conservative, and probably knows House Majority Leader Boehner very well, that Jim Jordan has a bright future in the Congress and/or Senate. s/BobP

Lou Demas added to this discussion on February 20, 2011

Great article. Bob thanks for the inside info, great to know we have a Rep. who stays fit and goes home to his wife and family as much as the demands of being a congressman allows.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on February 20, 2011

Quote from Lou Demas's post:

"Great article. Bob thanks for the inside info, great to know we have a Rep. who stays fit and goes home to his wife and family as much as the demands of being a congressman allows."

I totally agree.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on February 21, 2011

Tell him he'll get more votes when some of those Graham kids wind up in Scarlett and Gray. :)

Lou Demas added to this discussion on February 21, 2011

J.P

I would vote for Jim vote for Jim Jordan because of I believe that he will help Ohio and rest of the country become prosperous and morally a better to live, It would be nice if he could also send a few SPG wrestler's Ohio St. way.

I don't know if JIm Jordan Could help with this but maybe some else could answer this question and maybe there might be something he could do.

Since we only get 9.9 scholarships and out if state tuition is more expensive than when recruit our in-state kids are we allowed to use what was saved by not having to pay more for and out of state athlete? In other words if it cost $24,000 per year for an in state athlete and $29,000 can the School use the $5,000 difference for an other athlete? I don't know if this already happens but I think it should and it would also give our college's more incentive to recruit in-state talent.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on February 21, 2011

His father was a Democrat, a member of the International Union of Electrical Workers who retired at age 48 after 30 years with General Motors and now, at 66, is a successful Ohio businessman.

And for me this is the most telling sentence in Mr. Wills' article.

It show's in one sentence , the way workers are supposed to be treated.
Mr. Jordan worked hard I'm sure for 30 years, was paid a livable wage, and at age 66 has been retired 18 years, with I assume a pension, and at some point soc sec..
There are alot of people standing out in the cold in Wisconsin , and I believe in Columbus,fighting for the right to collective bargain for the benefits Mr. Jordan enjoyed.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 21, 2011

Quote from Rick Wasmer's post:

"His father was a Democrat, a member of the International Union of Electrical Workers who retired at age 48 after 30 years with General Motors and now, at 66, is a successful Ohio businessman.

Mr. Jordan worked hard I'm sure for 30 years, was paid a livable wage, and at age 66 has been retired 18 years, with I assume a pension, and at some point soc sec..
There are alot of people standing out in the cold in Wisconsin , and I believe in Columbus,fighting for the right to collective bargain for the benefits Mr. Jordan enjoyed."

I wasn't going to go there, but I'm glad someone did.

John Fayette added to this discussion on February 21, 2011

Collective bargaining is one thing. Being non competative is another. There is plenty of blame to spread around, but that is the cold hard fact. Some way some how we need to be able to compete, and paying more when producing less is not the answer. It went on for to long and caught up with most of the companies that were supporting "collective bargaining". In today's world, you get paid what can be afforded to each individual or as the market can bear, take it or leave it. May not be popular, but it is what it is.

Jim Jordan is one heck of a great guy. He was one of many that helped my boy reach his goals. He is a great family man and one who stands for what he believes in. I hope he can make a difference.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 21, 2011

Unreal.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 21, 2011

Quote from John Fayette's post:

"...Jim Jordan is one heck of a great guy...He is a great family man and one who stands for what he believes in. I hope he can make a difference."

I don't think anyone can argue with that.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 21, 2011

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

Quote from Rick Wasmer's post:

"His father was a Democrat, a member of the International Union of Electrical Workers who retired at age 48 after 30 years with General Motors and now, at 66, is a successful Ohio businessman.

There are alot of people standing out in the cold in Wisconsin , and I believe in Columbus,fighting for the right to collective bargain for the benefits Mr. Jordan enjoyed."

I wasn't going to go there, but I'm glad someone did."

I really was hoping no one went there but since they did some fact:

Collective bargaining doesn't necessarily mean a gouging of government. It depends on how you handle it.

There is a big difference between what is happening now in Wisconsin and Ohio, which pertains predominently to public sector unions and not private sector unions the way the federal govenrment controls collective bargaining with the UAW. Right now there is a great deal of voter backlash about the costly benefits public employees get from PERS, STRS, Police & Fire, etc.

Another big issue is the rising cost of health care which means the need for greater contributions from employees which happens all the time in the private (non-union) sector and not so much in the public sector because it has been riding the gravy train for years. It is one of the big fights in bargaining right now. Raises, if there are any, are getting eaten up by the new co-pays some public emplyees are having to pay.

Republicans are probably trying to break public unions. Many argue that even though most studies show approx. 36% of union members are republican, nearly 100% of the PAC money from unions goes to democrats.

Unions still serve a useful purpose but their role has changed. They no longer need to protect the health of the worker -- which was their traditional role -- they are simply there now for employee relations, including bargaining.

The REAL telling comments in the Jordan article were about his reticence to continue farm subsidies if they could not be shown to be economically beneficial even though the farm industry is one of his biggest supporters. That is the type of courage we need now in public service (in my opinion).

That would be like President Obama not giving all that money to GM and Chrysler. . .of course, Obama played basketball.

Lou Demas added to this discussion on February 21, 2011

Rick,

It does make one wonder why would Jim Jordan Dad change his politics after all those year's of voting democrat. Maybe the next sentence was more telling,''He makes bows for bow hunters, votes Republican and listens to Rush Limbaugh'' I can only guess but perhaps he realized how hard it was to grow a small business with so much government intrusion. Maybe he felt he could hire more people and give them a good job if we had less government. Or just maybe he felt it was wrong to kill unborn children. A long time black democratic friend of mine jump ship when he said he got tired of seeing his people being complacent to be on welfare.He also noted that we might of had a conservative back president along time ago, had not 80% of all abortion clinics reside in minority communities and had abortion stayed illegal racism may have disappeared completely. I find that most people who a radical change of thought do so after doing some deep soul searching and figure out when they where wrong.

Nice post Roe, very well thought out.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

Quote from Lou Demas's post:

"...had abortion stayed illegal racism may have disappeared completely..."

Can you elaborate on that one?

Lou Demas added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

Michael,

If look at how far race relations have come just since the 70's when Roe vs. Wade
became the law, Kobe had white people threatening to kill the white woman he was accused of raping,Little white kids wanted to ''be like Mike'', Oprah's has made more money than all of the white male talk show hosts, white rapper's and we now have a bi-racial president who everyone calls the first black president. It does not take a huge leap of logic to think if since black women's abortion rates far exceed that of white women there would have been literally, millions of more black people here. How many black Oprah's, Obama's Michcael Jordan's or black astronaut's where killed? Then if you look how what that many more black Americans would have change the landscape of our country or how many more inter-racial relationships would have produced more bi-racial. When you combine all this together I had to agree with my friend that the face of racism may have been gone by now had all of those black children been allowed to live.

I myself have always thought it was quite humorous that conservative's in general get labeled as racist. Conservative's know very well that the majority of the lives they would save by ending abortion will most likely be brought up to vote against them.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next