Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. Northwestern - 2-19-11
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 17, 2011

Ohio State takes on Northwestern in the last dual of the season. The good news, this is the last dual meet of the season and the Bucks can shift focus to getting a couple of All Americans.

The bad news, this is one of the worst Ohio State teams in the past five years. There is help on the way, but rebuilding, or reloading, may take a couple of years.

Thoughts on the dual:

125 - Bo Touris v. Brandon Precin - Honestly, I don't know that Touris makes it out of the first. Definitely see a pin here. 6-0 Northwestern

133 - Jacob Vaughn v. Levi Mele - I see more bonus points for Northwestern here. If Paddock wrestles it could be close, but I give the advantage to Mele either way. 10-0

141 - Randy Languis v. Kaleb Friedly - Frosh v. Frosh. I think Languis has a shot, but Friedly is the favorite. 13-0

149 - Joe Grandominco v. Andrew Nadhir - More bonus points for Northwester, question is, how many? I think they get 6 more here. 19-0

157 - Sean Nemec/Jared Kusar v. Jason Welch - More bonus points for Northwestern, regardless of who starts for Ohio State. 23-0

165 - Colt Sponseller v. Kevin Bialka - Last year I would have predicted a major, but Sponseller seems to be wrestling more controlled this year. I see a decision. 23-3

174 - Nick Heflin v. Brian Roddy - Matchup of Ohio boys here. Roddy was the more successful high school wrestler, but Heflin already seems to have closed that gap, and, in my opinion, surpassed Roddy. 23-6

184 - Cody Magrum v. Aaron Jones - Toss up here, and I give Jones a slight edge. Wouldn't surprise me either way. 26-6

197 - Peter Capone v. John Schoen - Schoen has the edge, but Capone is capable of pulling a mild upset here. 29-6

285 - Zach Stolarsky v. Ben Kuhar - Kuhar could pick up bonus here. He is a big heavy, and I could see him turning Ztolarsky. 35-6

This one could get ugly for Ohio State. I really only see them having a shot at winning three matches, while they could easily give up bonus points in the other seven. Looking forward to watching the Bucks compete in the Big Ten and NCAA championships.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 17, 2011

Thanks, Jason.

I could see the Bucks winning as many as five matches. They are favored at 65 and 74.

84 and 97 have to be tossups, but I like Magrum and Capone to win them both. Schoen has just one win over guys I've heard of the whole year, and that's Brandon Palik (I've also heard of Ryan Crabtree, but I wouldn't have if he didn't go to Cleveland State).

I don't know anything about Friedly, so I'll just assume Languis is going to tech-pin him.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 17, 2011

I hope you're right! GO BUCKS!!!!!

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 17, 2011

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"I hope you're right! GO BUCKS!!!!!"

Amen! There's a good chance they split at 84 and 97, but if I had to pick them individually, I'd pick Magrum and Capone.

Even if they do win 5 matches I can't see them winning, though.

John Ice added to this discussion on February 18, 2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More Info Come to our last home match of the season.

Its Senior Night.Help say goodbye to our four seniors.
Colt Sponseller
Sean Nemec
Zach Stolarsky
Pat Zamaria

Probable Starters
125 Bo Touris
133 Jacob Vaughan
141 Randy Languis
149 Joe Grandominico
157 Sean Nemec
165 Colt Sponseller
174 Nick Heflin
184 C.J. Magrum
197 Peter Capone
285 Zach Stolarsky

I caught this on another site. Usually senior night is for the last career dual. Can we read anything in to this? Thought Nemec had another year left.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 18, 2011

As a redshirt junior, he has been in the program four years. If he is graduating, it is entirely possible that he was told that his scholarship would not be renewed for another year.

If so, good luck to him in all his future endeavors. I have definitely been a critic of his in regards to his mat performance, but I hope that he succeeds in life.

GO BUCKS!!!!!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 18, 2011

Sean Nemec had shoulder surgery last March and couldnt wrestle until October, now i understand his other shoulder is causing him problems. As we all know, if your not healthy its tough to perform at your best, and in his case he couldnt even wrestle for most of last year.

If he is a senior and not wrestling anymore, perhaps he has made the decision to move on with his life. s/BobP

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 18, 2011

Nemec has had a lot of hard luck in his career. After a fine redshirt season, he couldn't beat out Jason Johnstone. Last year he suffered some injuries, had to regain his spot by beating out Jameson, and never really got going. This year he was not only recovering from surgery but forced to cut too much weight. Just one issue after the next.

I still think he shows ability. I'd love to see him have a good Big Ten tourney.

► Add to the Discussion