Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Campolattano still 'in play'?
J.P. Barner added to this discussion on February 15, 2011

There's a thread on the PSU scout forum that suggests Campo is still looking, since Rutgers FB coach wouldn't let him wrestle and play football? Supposedly down to Rutgers, Lehigh and PSU to wrestle - someone want to let Ryan know? :)

Here's the link to the thread...

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=157&f=2977&t=7195045

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 15, 2011

JP: I have no idea what Campo will do but would never trust the info in a forum thread.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 15, 2011

Even reading that thread, everything seemed like complete speculation. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but that's how it seems to me.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 16, 2011

Campo will wrestle in college, this Not from a forum but rather its from an article in a NJ newspaper i read online. I forget his reasons.

So his recruitment is once again open-- im sure Ohio St U is again very interested. s/BobP

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on February 16, 2011

I just don't think he ends up at Ohio St. I've been wrong before but I just have a hard time believing he ends up in CBUS.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 16, 2011

I would be curious to see what kind of money PSU has to offer him since they have a pretty loaded class and not to many seniors coming off the books. I would think with Palmer,Jameson, Hiles and Sponsellers being gone would free up a lot of money and maybe OSU could offer more but maybe Bob P. or someone with more knowledge could answer.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 16, 2011

Presumably, the Bucks made a significant offer to Destin McCauley--who flipped a coin and picked Wiscy-- and have not made a major signing since that time. My guess is that there's money for Campolattano if he wants to come (and if he's being recruited).

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 16, 2011

i understand from good sources Logan Stieber will wrestle 133 next year. Triggas at 125.

Paddock, Hunter Stieber and Tessari will figure out 141. Team will be young but pretty talented & very hungry.

re Campo, Penn st and the charisma of Cael and what he's building there make it tough --- HOWEVER yes, buckeyes have a good shot at Campo, Ohio st will be his last visit. s/BobP

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 16, 2011

No Olympic red-shirt for Stieber?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 16, 2011

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Ohio st will be his last visit. s/BobP"

That is prime recruiting position.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 17, 2011

Based on Bob's post, here's my guess at starting lineup:

125: Triggas (Touris, DiJulius)
133: Stieber (Vaughn)
141: Paddock (although I'd love to see him redshirt)
Backups would be Languis, H. Stieber and Tessari--all of whom should be considered for redshirts.

149: Fee, Grandomico, H.Stieber, Tessari--someone needs to step up and assert themselves at this weight. Could Kusar get down?

157: Demas (Nemec, Kusar)

165: Garcia

174: Heflin

184: Capone/Magrum/Courts

197: Capone/Magrum/Courts

285: They've gotta get a transfer. Stolarsky is overmatched and Elor is a major project.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on February 17, 2011

This may be a crazy question but is it legal for an alumni association to endow scolarships in wrestling, or their wrestling club to support the schools scholarship program? the reason I ask is that psu has the alumni support and I am sure would support more athletes than the small nine scholarship limit,

Also it seems that the athletes they have are good students and those students can combine the acedemic scholarship with the athletic, and would free up room for athletic scholarships

Very curious how alumni can support a program to increase funding for wrestling beyond the school limit?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 17, 2011

"Very curious how alumni can support a program to increase funding for wrestling beyond the school limit?"
---------------------

Answer: 9.9 is the limit for ATHLETIC grant in aid in Div I wrestling.

Alumni can donate for new facilities, a better wrestling and wt room, towards coaches salaries, that kind of stuff-- but Not extra scholarships.

and of course thats 9.9 schol in play at any one time including redshirts, Not 9.9 per year (-- football total is 85 max at any one time).

A partial Athletic grant in aid can be combined with Pell Grant money, academic scholarship money, various non-athletic moneys for "minority" students, stuff like that -- but those monies have to be equally available to the student body, not reserved for athletes.

The athlete has to compete for that money and at a PUBLIC university like Ohio St U, academic schol money is limited and hard to come by. s/BobP

Bill Splete added to this discussion on February 17, 2011

Thanks Bob, it doesn't seem like much has changed in 20 years, it has to be near impossible to keep 2 to 3 deep at any weight class and maintain top level athletes.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on February 17, 2011

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

"Thanks Bob, it doesn't seem like much has changed in 20 years, it has to be near impossible to keep 2 to 3 deep at any weight class and maintain top level athletes."

Got to the thread entitled, "What Can Other Programs Learn from Iowa, OSU, and Minnesota?" on www.thematforums.com. Warren Applegate gives his interpretation of how other schools deal with a limited number of scholarships:

"Wrestling camps. The head coaches at major universities with the exception of Cael Sanderson at Penn State make significantly more money from their wrestling camps, than they do from their coaches salary. Reportedly, Jay Robinson grosses about $4 million annually from his camps. These large camps draw top wrestlers from across the country, at their own expense. So the coaching staffs of these schools get to see more top talent in their camps than do many of the other coaching staffs. They see who has a strong work ethic and who doesn't. They can see how they behave under pressure.

Additionally, if the coach desires he can pay his wrestlers a going rate as counselors that will exceed what they get from a scholarship. So I'm pretty certain that Iowa, Minnesota, and OSU take many wrestlers off a full scholarship after their freshman year, and reduce them to a partial scholarship, and guarantee them enough camp money to more than offset what they gave up in scholarship money. So while most schools are operating with 9.9 scholarships, these coaches if they desire to "plow" back in their camp money into the program can operate as if they had 20-30 scholarships annually. This is a huge advantage. Cael can do this at Penn State even though he doesn't keep the camp money, he can pay his wrestlers for being counselors at the Penn State camps."

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next