Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Demas wins Edinboro Open
John Ice added to this discussion on February 13, 2011

http://www.gofightingscots.com/content/file/EUP_Open_2011.pdf

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Steve Lester added to this discussion on February 13, 2011

Mines won at 125.

Did Notre Dame have a train to catch, or did something else happen?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 13, 2011

What interested me was Ty Mitch at 133. I didn't see that coming.

Also, Anthony Salupo loses to Dylan Alton 5-4 in the finals at 149 after beating Habat in the semis 7-2. Not a bad showing.

Cody Butzer down to 165?? Why? I think he was ranked #1 at 174.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 13, 2011

I always liked Salupo. He wrestles very hard. He's going to do a nice job at Lehigh.

Demas has performed well this year in open events at 157. There should be a lot of competition next year in the Ohio State room at this weight class with Nemec, Kusar and Demas.

Not only has Demas performed admirably in opens in his redshirt year, but he's taken a lot of initiative to go find competition.

For some reason, tOSU redshirts don't seem to go to very many opens. I think they should. That competition can be valuable. If nothing else, it gives us more to talk about!

Don Bork added to this discussion on February 13, 2011

I have thought the same about a lack of participation by TOSU redshirts and backups in open events. TOSU seemed to have a light schedule this year compared to many other schools as well as past TOSU teams. If the goal is to have a deep squad we should be involved in more duals, tournys and open events. With a deeper quality roster, not all 10 starters have to participate in all events. That way two deep or even third string wrestlers could wrestle in 20 or more competitive matches and not just be bangin in the room.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 13, 2011

I know what you mean. I see second & third stringer names on the roster, but seems they never enter the Opens. Guys like Taylor & Oliver had full open schedules their freshman year, and then proceeded to start their varsity careers with much success. Is it purely voluntary or are they expected to go to a certain number of events?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 13, 2011

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I know what you mean. I see second & third stringer names on the roster, but seems they never enter the Opens. Guys like Taylor & Oliver had full open schedules their freshman year, and then proceeded to start their varsity careers with much success. Is it purely voluntary or are they expected to go to a certain number of events?"

I think some of that has to do with the fact that a lot of 2nd and 3rd stringers are wrestling in duals due to injuries and guys leaving the team.

Yes, James, but it goes back to years past as well. I recall Heflin and Capone going to several opens last year, and you will occasionally see a couple guys at the Ashland Open, CSU Open, and sometimes Eastern Michigan Open, but not with any kind of regularity and it's typically just one or two wrestlers that do that. It doesn't seem to be a priority.

John Fayette added to this discussion on February 14, 2011

I've seen both Anthony S. and Demas at the tourn. we have been at. A.S. does a great job controlling ties and moving guys. Appears to be very strong. Josh has looked great also. Good luck to both.

► Add to the Discussion