Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio RTC Receives $100,000 Donation for Endowment
Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 10, 2011

http://www.buckeyewrestling.com/?q=node/39440

Awesome to see donations like this.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 10, 2011

I only asked to remain anonymous for a short while. I really wanted to tell all you guys in about a week.

He he he...

Honestly, this IS awesome. If I ever won the lottery, I would love to hand some out to these guys. As it stands, I have not won the lotto and can only afford the $35 every year or so.

Great read, coach.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 10, 2011

Also, Tommy is quoted twice in the the article...maybe three times. Does that guy know just the right things to say or what!? Who's his writer!?

Hope to see as many of them in London as possible.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 10, 2011

Dear Anonymous Benefactor:

What a great and generous contribution! Thank you on behalf of not merely the athletes but Ohio wrestling fans.

Sincerely,
HK

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 10, 2011

Ahhh nice donations to the endowment are awesome. Can you imagine if the ORTC got the support it needed to go two deep at every weight?!?!?! It seems that they are about half way there.

I think supporting the Ohio RTC is probably the single best thing fans can do to help the Ohio State wrestling team, but it's also just something for Ohioans in general to be proud of.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on February 11, 2011

I was wondering if someone could explain how the RTC helps OSU wrestling? I'm not questioning the validity of it, I just don't know what the interaction is. I'm ignorant on the topic and hope someone could shed some light.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 11, 2011

1) It helps tOSU wrestling directly by providing elite and experienced workout partners for the wrestlers, in addition to their teammates. College wrestlers can go to an RTC on their own time for extra workouts.

2) It provides a natural landing spot for them if they want to continue wrestling after college. The RTC can't afford to give everyone a stipend, but I think anyone with a USA Wrestling card can workout there (I could be wrong about that), and Lou Rosselli is perhaps the best freestyle coach in the United States.

3) It makes the Olympic dream a little more real. Seeing the people training in your own gym go on to win world and Olympic medals makes driven wrestlers realize that they can have post-collegiate success and raise their goals.

The third reason is also how it benefits Ohio as a whole. I think sometimes when role models are so removed from us geographically, we hold them up as superhuman and don't really think we can do what they do. Having home-grown (and transplants, too) world and olympic team members training right in the heart of Ohio makes kids say "I want to be an Olympic champ" and realize that it can actually be done.

Just my $0.02.

► Add to the Discussion