Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: David Taylor video - PSU vs Michigan
Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

I think the "one year at a time" rationale is very important to consider. Too many things happen which are at the present moment unforeseen.
Kyle Dake has yet to wrestle close to his form of last year.
David Taylor is on target for this year.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

Re: Brakeman's shock that Phillips lost.

Look at Ed Ruth now.

If Chris Phillips is sufficiently motivated in college, he will be outstanding.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

yep u r right Hank,
look at Ed Ruth now---- but then again that shows me how incredibly talented Chris Phillips is. As a senior at Blair, Ed Ruth only beat sophomore Phillips 3 to 2.

A very exciting 3 to 2, btw, alot of great scrambles and handfighting by Ruth-- alot of shots by Phillips but not quite deep enough, he couldnt convert them.

looking at Phillips this season i see a guy still with those skills, he hasnt diminished at all- his AWN # 2 reflects his lack of national exposure the last 2 years, not his abilities. s/BobP

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

I am huge D.T. fan, but I think Fittery is being undervalued. He has been simply dominating this year, and in many ways shares the same all-out, scoring frenzy attitude that D.T. has.

To me, this has become the marquee match of the season.

I think D.T. will win, but it will be a lot of fun to watch and full of suspense.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

bob: It's not that Phillips shot weren't deep enough. It's that Ruth is another level of power. That guy has crazy strength. I'm not convinced he'll win it this year because he has lapses at times. But he's really competing against himself because no one else at 174 has his talent. Look what he did to Lewnes. Ruth has sick potential.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

There's no doubt about it, these two are a clear cut above the rest at 157. They both wrestle with nothing to lose and go for broke the whole time. Here's my two cents...

1) Both Fittery and Taylor are very dynamic on their feet. Both have great leg attacks and I haven't seen either of them in a match where 10 seconds go by and they aren't attempting some sort of attack. It's no doubt that Taylor has been influenced by Cael. He has great length and uses it very well in transitioning from ties to low level attacks. Fittery has great positioning, hand fighting, and puts himself in so many scoring opportunities.

2) Neither of them gas and go non-stop for 7 minutes (or however long it takes). They both have the same agenda: to put as many points on the board as possible.

3) I think this match could very well come down to mat wrestling. Again, both score proficiently in these areas. I might give a slight edge to Taylor from top, but trying to hold down Fittery from the bottom position is like trying to hold down a tornado. He's always moving and flurries like very few people I have seen before.

As far as the seeding goes, I don't care as long as they are on opposite sides of the bracket. This is the kind of match that people always want to see. And the best part is that these two are class acts and excellent ambassadors for the sport. They're humble about their accomplishments and put on a show every time they step on a mat.

Here is Fittery's interview about wrestling Taylor after the Bucknell match...

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/238457-bucknell-vs-american/467532-steve-fittery-after-his-last-home-match

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 23, 2011

Mike - great post, thanks for breaking that down.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on February 24, 2011

Here is Fittery wrestling Ohioan Dan Gonsor. I realize that he won't be able to do all of the same stuff against Taylor, but still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7B2R0NxcNs

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2