Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: David Taylor video - PSU vs Michigan
Matt Hall added to this discussion on February 8, 2011

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/play/451233

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 8, 2011

Quote from Matt Hall's post:

"http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/play/451233"

I watched Troy Letters work this while he wrestled and work with Taylor on this over the summer. Those long arms are taylor made for him and this tilt/turn.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 21, 2011

despite Taylor incredible record, 30 & 0 with 29 bouts geting bonus points, Taylor probably as it stands TODAY only a 3 seed ---meaning he would face a very tough Adam Hall in his half bracket.

Probable seeding as of today:

1. Fittery; 2. Hall; 3. Taylor; 4. Dong; 5. ? Probably EIWA champ –Saddoris or Peppelman.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 21, 2011

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"despite Taylor incredible record, 30 & 0 with 29 bouts geting bonus points, Taylor probably as it stands TODAY only a 3 seed ---meaning he would face a very tough Adam Hall in his half bracket.

1. Fittery; 2. Hall; 3. Taylor; 4. Dong; 5. ? Probably EIWA champ –Saddoris or Peppelman."

No Jenkins? Has something happened to him?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 21, 2011

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"
No Jenkins? Has something happened to him?"

I don't know if Bob left him out intentionally or not, but he hasn't wrestled in since December. I don't know what's up with him, but I would think he'll be back for the Pac 10 tournament this weekend. I guess we'll see.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 21, 2011

Nothing to see here folks....move it along...

As an aside--Mich. State has a true frosh 157 that has impressed me. Taylor crushed him but he battled hard the whole match. Can't remember his name.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 21, 2011

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"despite Taylor incredible record, 30 & 0 with 29 bouts geting bonus points, Taylor probably as it stands TODAY only a 3 seed ---meaning he would face a very tough Adam Hall in his half bracket.

1. Fittery; 2. Hall; 3. Taylor; 4. Dong; 5. ? Probably EIWA champ –Saddoris or Peppelman."

What makes you think Hall would be the two-seed instead of Fittery? If Hall, Fittery and Taylor remain undefeated, you'd have to think Hall would be the one-seed, being that he finished higher in last year's NCAA Tourney, including a win over Fittery.

If things stay as they are now, it would likely be #1 Hall, #2 Fittery, #3 Taylor, #4 Jenkins, #5 Dong.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 21, 2011

I know people hate this kind of comparison, but Hall beat Sponseller 5-2, Taylor won 14-1. IMO, I don't think Fittery or Hall can beat Taylor. Should be a very interesting weight class. 29 of 30 matches ended in bonus points? Unreal.

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

I don't believe anyone at 157 can touch Taylor!

John Flanigan added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

Quote from Brian Morrow's post:

"I don't believe anyone at 157 can touch Taylor!"

Metcalf was unbeatable last year too.

Mike Leedy added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

Quote from John Flanigan's post:

"

Quote from Brian Morrow's post:

"I don't believe anyone at 157 can touch Taylor!"

Metcalf was unbeatable last year too."

At least Metcalf thought he was "unbeatable". Seriously though, I never thought Metcalf was techically sound, Taylor on the other hand, is Mr. Technique, IMO.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

Only way, Taylor loses is if he melts down or is a little off that weekend. His level of wrestling has been spot on. Hall is by all means a great wrestler with super counter wrestling. Taylor's pace and amazing ability to create offense has been the undoing of all his opponents. Chances are, he won't lose but there is always that chance he may.

Both wrestlers he will face, Fittery and Hall have excellent coaching. I am impressed with the Boise State bunch and Cody's track record speaks for itself.

Looking back on the Iowa dual, the frustration by Taylor to a hand in the face really sticks out and there will be more of this tactic to come. I have not watched enough of Derek St John,to make an opinion. Aside from losing, I guarantee he wrestled the strategy Coach Brands outlined for him. He was very disciplined in his approach to wrestling. He will have some close scraps with Taylor in years to come by virtue of discipline and continued development. Figuring out Dave Taylor is like a Rubiks Cube puzzle. Very difficult but ways to go about it, which involve tricks(tactics).

The '94 final of Smith v Bormet. Slow the pace down, frustrate your opponent, when he makes a mistake, take advantage. Pat Smith kept it together to win but it was an ugly win in which he did not get to wrestle his pace. Bormet created the pace and gave himself the best chance to win but came up short.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

MikeR,
my rationale for Fittery # 1 is that every prominent college ranker has Fittery No. 1.

The All-Star match is not suppose to count, but Bubba Jenkins beat Hall 12-4 there. That is when Fittery moved to No. 1. Fittery hasn’t had a close match all year. (Yes, Hall did beat him 6-4 at nationals last year.)

re Bubba Jenkins, its been a long time since he wrestled, some say his heart not 100 % in it, and conditioning will be a factor should he come back for PAC 10 tourn.

as of today i still go with 1. Fittery-- 2. Hall-- 3. Taylor-- 4. Dong-- 5. ? Probably EIWA champ –Saddoris or Peppelman.

s/BobP

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

I'm as impressed with Taylor as the rest of you and think he'll win the national title. But there's always some guy out there with the right style to confound Taylor. And, as Rex mentioned, there are coaches like Brands who will dissect his style and develop strategies to defend against him (St John is not good enough--yet).

Dustin Schlatter was arguably the best Ohio prep of all time, looked extraordinary his frosh year, beat a great senior, Zach Esposito, and won rather easily. At that time, many of us wondered if he'd ever lose a match. Did anyone really think he wouldn't win another title?

I posted the other day that Matt McDonough looked unbeatable and Ben Golden dispelled that notion in one post.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 22, 2011

"At that time, many of us wondered if he'd ever lose a match."
----------------

for sure Dustin is on the very short list of Ohio's greatest ever in high school, but i thought that was crazy and said so at the time i read such "invincable" comments during his soph season-- in fact Hank may recall i said 2 guys might beat him, Storniolo of Oklahoma and Gillespie of Edinboro because of their style, and the latter did beat him his soph year at NCAAs.

its all about Hype & the Pressure to live up to it, makes an icon vulnerable no matter how good he is. Then the opponents STYLE comes into play. Theres always someone with a style, Rex mentioned hand-in-the-face. David Taylor will see alot of that in an attempt to slow him down.

i knew Metcalf could compete with Dustin in high school, many didnt believed it-- and Metcalf did in both their matches winning one and losing the other by one point. Metcalf had a relentless style, he never ran out of gas and had super natural strength, would wear opponent down no matter who he was in high school. s/BobP

Ive seen Brakeman completely stunned twice in my life: one was Metcalf beating Dustin at Medina, the other was walking into the Ironman on Saturday afternoon and finding out Chris Phillips had lost to Ed Ruth in the quarters. s/BobP

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next