Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: A loyal fan
Doug Brandt added to this discussion on February 7, 2011

My eight year old nephew is a Cleveland Cavaliers fan who lives in Columbus, Ohio.

Yeah, he was a fan last year, too, when Cleveland had Lebron James and the best regular season record in the NBA. Unlike Lebron, he stayed.

He watches every televised game he can, even though he sometimes has to go up to bed before some of the games have ended. He not only knows the starting lineup, he knows all 15 of the Cleveland players and their jersey numbers. He even knows Coach Byron Scott’s number when he played for the Lakers.

He himself plays in a 2nd and 3rd grade league. He’s generally the shortest guy on the court, but he’s an excellent ball handler, and he’s got a really good driving layup.

I asked him the following question: Would you rather score 30 points and have your team lose, or would you rather score two points and have your team win? He said he’d take the two points.

Last Friday, he and a number of other Cub Scouts had their Pinewood Derby. His car was a Cleveland Cavaliers shoe- complete with actual laces, and with decals on the sides.

The shoe won.

He was very happy to win the trophy, but he was also anxious to get back and watch his Cavs play against the Portland Trail Blazers. The Cavs lost that game- their 24th in a row. He didn’t miss a second of the game.

He doesn’t get down when his team loses. He just stays with them and roots for them every night. He knows they’ll be back.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 7, 2011

I'm not sure what to say to that.

But I will say, nice read. Thanks.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on February 7, 2011

It could be just a great example of a kid being awesomely loyal to his team, even when the going gets tough. (Tough is probably an understatement.)

Or he may be indirectly referring to fans of Ohio State's wrestling team. Internet message boards are notorious for being a medium by which happy fans express their positivity and unhappy fans express their negativity. Since Buckeye wrestling is currently in reloading mode, naturally their results haven't been the same as what fans have seen the past four years under Coach Ryan. This will cause the posts on any of the message boards to likely be temporarily skewed toward the negative. With that said, I don't believe that is indicative of the perception of the program -- even by those who are most negative, those people who hide their inner Brutus Buckeye in a deep, dark place they don't like to talk about at parties.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on February 7, 2011

I used to be that kid with Cleveland sports. Brian Sipe. Webster Slaughter. Mark Price. All of them for as long as I can remember. Then you know what happened?

1987 - The Drive

1993 - Jordan hit a jump shot nine feet over Craig Ehlo

1995- 1-0 in Game six vs. Atlanta

I am happy to say I am Cleveland free for almost sixteen years and feel GREAT! It is easier when they don't break your heart over and over and over.

However, Go Bucks Wrestling.

I dug your story, too.

Bill Watson added to this discussion on February 8, 2011

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"I used to be that kid with Cleveland sports. Brian Sipe. Webster Slaughter. Mark Price. All of them for as long as I can remember. Then you know what happened?

1987 - The Drive

1993 - Jordan hit a jump shot nine feet over Craig Ehlo

1995- 1-0 in Game six vs. Atlanta

I am happy to say I am Cleveland free for almost sixteen years and feel GREAT! It is easier when they don't break your heart over and over and over.
Brian living 40 minutes from Pittsburgh I must live with the fact the Steelers have 6 superbowls daily. To combat this and since I went to BU for a year I have began to root boston across the board this year. While it felt great to beat those dang Steelers ... it pained me to attempt to root agianst the Browns. I think this kid had the ability to do something I could not, let his emotions get the best of him.

However, Go Bucks Wrestling.

I dug your story, too."

► Add to the Discussion