Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Buckeye wrestling this upcoming weekend (February 4-5)
Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 4, 2011

Colt Sponseller vs. Conrad Polz.

Sponseller looking spritely, Polz in on a single, they go out of bounds with Spons' leg in the air. Sponseller gets two underhooks but they were lousy hooks, nothing. Polz with a nice duck under and gets all the way behind, but can't bring Colt to the mat. Colt cuts away. Lots of pummeling now. Polz in on a high single, finishes for a takedown. Colt has a minute to escape. Sponseller breaks Polz' grip and hips out for an escape in 30 seconds. Colt really trying to control the ties as Polz is having some success frustrating him with head taps from the front and side. Period ends 2-1.

Polz starts down. Polz to his feet, Colt throws in a leg. Stalemate. Same thing again, Colt kind of high but adjusts. Now has his leg and working for an armbar from the other side. Riding pretty tough. Polz going absolutely no where. His head has been on the mat for a while now as Colt is working an arm bar. Colt loses it and Polz is up to his base. Cross body ride again, period ends 2-1. Colt has 1:40 of riding time.

Colt starts 3rd period down. Apparently the Buckeyes worked on sitouts this week. Sponseller does one and escapes. Colt focusing on controlling ties and doing a good job; Polz is pretty warn down and has slowed down with his own offense. Now tries a couple half-hearted singles but we are in Colt's domain now. 30 seconds remain. Sponseller isn't really trying for any takedowns of his own, which is kind of disappointing but it wins him the match 3-2 with riding time.

Illinois wins 21-12.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Arthur added to this discussion on February 4, 2011

Riding time decides a Sponseller match in his favor!
That is a good sign. A great sign!!
Good work in the room. Coach Ryan and staff.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 4, 2011

If he keeps winning the Big 10 match ups, he should get a great seed for the Big Ten Tournament.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 4, 2011

Ya know, I think Touris finally realized there are actually some guys in the Big Ten he can beat. He finished strong vs Mich., and came out and wrestled pretty good tonight. At least he's trying and shows some decent technique.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 6, 2011

Glasser from Minne is a pro at tugging on the headgear while working the head. Heflin had to readjust his headgear at least a dozen times. Important tactic to recognize and defend.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on February 6, 2011

Have the Buckeyes given any thought to just closing up shop for the season?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 6, 2011

Yes. We've already cashed it in for the season. We're actually thinking of saving money by not attending the BigTen Tournament. That would save on any money that would have been spent in PA as well. I mean, let's face it... Don't waste the money AND time. It's not as if anybody on the team would score point at Nationals anyways, right!?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 6, 2011

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"Have the Buckeyes given any thought to just closing up shop for the season?"

Any chance you will do the same?

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 6, 2011

Wow Gary...tOSU is a lot of things, and yes, even imperfect, but quitters? Really? You have reached an all time low in stupidity with that comment. Did Michigan quit playing football when they lost to Appy State? I agree it was not pretty, but I did not suggest they should just scrub the season. Seems like that attitude is the exact opposite of the "golden generation" you claim to be a part of. Is there not a Michigan wrestling site that you can participate on in place of this site?

On a serious note, someone forgot to tell Peter Capone he was wreslting a ranked opponent last night. Good for him.

And how about Jacob Vaughan? I know he ultimately gave up the major, but I was pleased with his effort. Give him credit...he was go go go to the very end.

Those were both efforts that deserve some note.

I was not sure how I felt about Capone early in the season, but I think maybe it's fair to say he has made the biggest strides of any of the starters this year. I don't know whether Jacob Vaughan will break into the line-up as a permanent starter in the future, but if he pushes like that in the room...you cannot afford to let go of him. He is an asset to everyone he works out with. Not to mention that kind of an effort for the team when filling in.

I felt Languis' pain last night. A year ago he was winning. It's so frustrating to wrestle someone that you can make nothing work against. College wrestling is humbling to say the least.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on February 6, 2011

Turns out Capone wasn't wrestling a ranked opponent. The Big Ten Network had it wrong and said so at the end. Good job none the less.

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"

Wow Gary...tOSU is a lot of things, and yes, even imperfect, but quitters? Really? You have reached an all time low in stupidity with that comment. Did Michigan quit playing football when they lost to Appy State? I agree it was not pretty, but I did not suggest they should just scrub the season. Seems like that attitude is the exact opposite of the "golden generation" you claim to be a part of. Is there not a Michigan wrestling site that you can participate on in place of this site?"

Wow, you are either just really uptight and anal or don't know what tongue-in-cheek looks like.

Sorry, I didn't know you need to drink the Scarlett Kool-Aid to participate.

And where is Roe when you need him? It is nice to see a honk with a sense of humor.

"

"

Wow Gary...tOSU is a lot of things, and yes, even imperfect, but quitters? Really? You have reached an all time low in stupidity with that comment. Did Michigan quit playing football when they lost to Appy State? I agree it was not pretty, but I did not suggest they should just scrub the season. Seems like that attitude is the exact opposite of the "golden generation" you claim to be a part of. Is there not a Michigan wrestling site that you can participate on in place of this site?"

Wow, you are either just really uptight and anal or don't know what tongue-in-cheek looks like.

Sorry, I didn't know you need to drink the Scarlett Kool-Aid to participae."

Mr. Generation of Integrity...you don't know me from Adam. Uptight is about as far from the truth as it gets for me. Your posts, however, speak for themselves. This is not an issue of "drinking Kool-Aid." It's an issue of a guy who boasts of being from a "generation of inegrity and all deals can be made on a hand shake" missing the boat on true integrity. The fact is, your actions/posting, speak that who you really are is a guy that kicks folks when they are down and takes every opportunity he can to instigate and make a dig. I suspect your true motivation is to play the role of "devils advocate," which can be very productive. You have yet to take the next step of integrity, which is leading by example and learning to be encouraging.

BTW, I have thought over the last 3 years, that the down swing of Michigan football is the worst thing for Big 10 football. The Big Ten is better when Michigan is better and I look forward to their return to the top.

Don't confuse me with those you label a "Honk." If you don't like the fact that your own actions have led to my assessment, look in the mirror, validate it, and join in our conversations productively. We'll appreciate your "tongue-in-cheek" comments when you gain a reputation that says that you understand "tongue-in-check" and it's appropriate usage. Don't bother trying to get the last word (although your previous posting tells me that you will). I'm not interested in any of your justifications. Let your future actions on this forum speak for themselves.

Have a good evening Gary.

*edited my spelling errors...not the content :)
*edited the 2nd time to remove the phrase implying GC is intelligent...I recant :-o

Last edited by Patrick Campbell on February 7, 2011; edited 3 times in total

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"Turns out Capone wasn't wrestling a ranked opponent. The Big Ten Network had it wrong and said so at the end. Good job none the less."

I missed that Mike. Thanks for the update. I walked out of the room to check on dinner in the oven when he had the guy on his back. None-the-less, Peter is making strides.

"

"

"

Sorry, I didn't know you need to drink the Scarlett Kool-Aid to participae."

Mr. Generation of Integrity...you don't know me from Adam. Uptight is about as far from the truth as it gets for me. Your posts, however, speak for themselves. This is not an issue of "drinking Kool-Aid." It's an issue of a guy who boasts of being from a "generation of inegrity and all deals can be made on a hand shake" missing the boat on true integrity. The fact is, your actions/posting, speak that who you really are is a guy that kicks folks when they are down and takes every opportunity he can to instigate and make a dig. I suspect your true motivation is to play the role of "devils advocate," which can be very productive. Although I appreciate you are an intelligent fellow, you have yet to take the next step of integrity, which is leading by example and learning to be encouraging.

BTW, I have thought over the last 3 years, that the down swing of Michigan football is the worst thing for Big 10 football. The Big Ten is better when Michigan is better and I look forward to their return to the top.

Don't confuse me with those you label a "Honk." If you don't like the fact that your own actions have led to my assessment, look in the mirror, validate it, and join in our conversations productively. We'll appreciate your "tongue-in-cheek" comments when you gain a reputation that says that you understand "tongue-in-check" and it's appropriate usage. Don't bother trying to get the last word (although your previous posting tells me that you will). I'm not interested in any of your justifications. Let your future actions on this forum speak for themselves.

Have a good evening Gary.

edited my spelling errors...not the content :)"

When at a loss go to the age card, young whippersnapper.

There is always a certain sadness in people who accuse others of wanting the 'last word', when all they are trying to do is ensure that they get it.

Now you not only don't understand tongue-in-cheek, but apparently irony as well.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next