Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: National rankings at 171 pounds: Storley upset; Phillips at #1?
Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 31, 2011

For Josh and Bob, with Storley getting pinned recently does Phillips move up to Number 1?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: National rankings at 171 pounds: Storley upset; Phillips at #1?
Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 31, 2011

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"For Josh and Bob, with Storley getting pinned recently does Phillips move up to Number 1?"

Currently Phillips is #3 behind Storley and Jahwon Akui. You would think Akui would be the one to move up.

Who pinned Storley?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 31, 2011

AWN has Storley #1, Phillips #2, Akui #3--- i am guessing Storley stays #1. The pin was apparently no indication of how the match went, as Storley was killing the kid when he got hit with a cement mixer.

That can happen to anyone, i saw Sonny Marchette fall to the mixer when it wasnt as well known over in the Lehigh Valley. Then there was Lambrecht who was geting almost TFed at the time in NCAA finals, i was there for that one.

Storley won fargo Junior nationals freestyle, Storely won NHSCA nationals junior division in VA Beach. i think hes still the # 1.

Phillips might beat him head to head --Phillips can be as great as he wants to be, immense talent-- but Phillips just hasnt done anything nationally or beaten a high ranked wrestler in the last couple years. s/BobP

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 31, 2011

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"AWN has Storley #1, Phillips #2, Akui #3--- I am guessing Storley stays #1. The pin was apparently no indication of how the match went, as Storley was killing the kid when he got hit with a cement mixer.

Then there was Lambrecht who was geting almost TFed at the time in NCAA finals, I was there for that one. "

I think the score was the exact same for each of the above situations. 15 - 2.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on January 31, 2011

Bob:

Josh Lambrecht was DOING the TFing when he got caught in the Rob Rohn mixer.

He had a 12-2 lead w/15 seconds left when the pin was called. I was there, too, and I felt pretty bad for the guy. Nonetheless, you have to give Rohn major credit.

Here's Josh's recollection of that match:

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/04/05/Sports/Lambrecht_s_agony_unt.shtml

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 31, 2011

"Josh Lambrecht was DOING the TFing when he got caught in the Rob Rohn mixer."

ok Doug, got it, i was there but recalled it backwards.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on January 31, 2011

Very little reaction at all. Storley will stay at #1 -- overall body of work is too darn strong.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 31, 2011

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"AWN has Storley #1, Phillips #2, Akui #3--- I am guessing Storley stays #1. The pin was apparently no indication of how the match went, as Storley was killing the kid when he got hit with a cement mixer.

That can happen to anyone, I saw Sonny Marchette fall to the mixer when it wasnt as well known over in the Lehigh Valley. Then there was Lambrecht who was geting almost TFed at the time in NCAA finals, I was there for that one.

Storley won fargo Junior nationals freestyle, Storely won NHSCA nationals junior division in VA Beach. I think hes still the # 1.

Phillips might beat him head to head --Phillips can be as great as he wants to be, immense talent-- but Phillips just hasnt done anything nationally or beaten a high ranked wrestler in the last couple years. s/BobP"

Bob, I appreciate your opinion. Josh, do you feel the same?

The match is on-line. While the cement mixer is getting a reputation as being a giant killer I didn't think it looked like something out of left field, like a defensive pin, that the No. 1 shoudln't be able to handle.

I have no dog in this fight. Clearly Storley has great talent. Ran up a good score before the fall. I just wonder if it wouldn't have been held against Phillips if it happened to him. Storley lost to an in-state guy in an inferior wrestling state; Phillips remains undefeated in a far better wrestling state.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on January 31, 2011

Bob states my opinion. PRODUCTION matters, COMPETING matters.

This was a total CATCH of a pin. Lehman is from ND as an fyi - younger brother of Tyler.

I don't care what Phillips does or doesn't do, until he registers win(s) over a national caliber kid (he hasn't done that in more than two years), it's all faith and reputation on him. Go to FloNats, go to NHSCA grade-levels - match up against one/some of the core kids and he'll earn the position some here are begging for.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 1, 2011

Thanks guys.

► Add to the Discussion