Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Some OSU analysis
Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 29, 2011

125-Touris-opponent controlled action for two periods. Ignition switch flipped in third period. Two beautiful hi-cs to finishes. Displayed that you have a great motor and the technical ability to wrestle lights out. You resembled a seasoned vet when you attacked and that shot and finish combo was high quality.

157-Kusar-you cannot give up a controlled tie for 6 minutes and not get tired. It was inside tie and wrist that your opponent walked into uncontested every time. Much of wrestling is dependent upon winning the tie up battle. You need a tie up that you can win and grind from. You can be very good, which is what I thought when I saw you wrestle for Revere as a 10th grader.

165-Colt-Achilles was a great warrior but with one weakness.

174-Heflin does a nice job and bleeds the sport and for his team. He is a leader. All I ask is that too much expectation is not thrust upon him as he is a central cog to the Buckeye machine for this and the next three seasons.

184-Magrum builds some confidence.

197-Capone is a good wrestler, albeit a young good wrestler. Lacks some horespower, some advanced skillsets but always comes to wrestle. Has to do a better job with hand fighting on feet. When your reaction to a shot does not account for getting hand/arm between you and your opponent, it is the same as reaching. A small yet hugely important technical adjustment.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Don Bork added to this discussion on January 29, 2011

I would like to see Heflin become more aggressive offensively. I, too, like Capones effort for being undersized. Magrum looked improved in his mat wrestling and am hoping too see this continue as he wrestles more skilled and physical opponents. Touris does look as though he could be competitive for us. I think Languis has some possibilities for what is being asked of him. Kusar was an improvement over Nemec. At least he wrestled with some aggression. Colt got the win and hopefully is still just rounding into shape. Biggest disapointment is Paddock. He is 1-3 in B10 bouts with all 3 losses coming to kids he was ranked ahead of at the start of the season. He has shown some good abilities as a mat wrestler, though not dominating. Needs a lot of work on his feet. No TDs in any of the three losses I believe.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 29, 2011

Magrum's match: How many times does he get the front headlock and treat it as an opportunity to catch his breath and not as an opportunity to score. They said Pucillo is working with him. But Mike would savor that position and usually scored with the cross ankle or snap and go behind. It just drives me nuts to see C.J. just hang on until the ref calls a stalemate. Ahhhhh!!!

Don Bork added to this discussion on January 29, 2011

Absolutely true Jack. Both Pucillo and Jaggers were highly skilled in certain areas, but I'm not seeing those skills reincarnated with anyone to this point.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on January 29, 2011

I think the whole team lacks aggression. it is very frustrating to watch. Luckily, I get to see the bobcats in action tonight and I know they will be attacking all night.

Spons looked good but its the same old story. I was impressed with kusar and touris. Capone wrestles with heart and fights in every spot, you have to respect that.

Stolarsky is completely outmatched but I always have a level of respect for the guys that will kill to get on the mat, and he seems like that guy. Thrust into the lineup in the Big Ten but he still goes out and battles. Hopefully people give him his due credit. Props to this young man, I know how it feels.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 30, 2011

Definitely some growing pains amongst wrestlers which present as lack of attacks, loss of positions and lack of positional awareness.

► Add to the Discussion