Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Very Big News!
Grant Varnum added to this discussion on January 26, 2011

i have seen anything from 6-1 to 6-2, and 210 to 220...so who really knows, based on internet stuff...

but tommy did a lot of damage at 285, and if i recall, was not much more than 230???

as for money - where there is a will, there is a way...put him on the PSU football roster for the dough, and let him "play" two sports...

who knows - but that is just one heck of a lineup...

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 26, 2011

Quote from Grant Varnum's post:

"I have seen anything from 6-1 to 6-2, and 210 to 220...so who really knows, based on internet stuff...

but tommy did a lot of damage at 285, and if I recall, was not much more than 230???

as for money - where there is a will, there is a way...put him on the PSU football roster for the dough, and let him "play" two sports...

who knows - but that is just one heck of a lineup..."

Tommy also has a much bigger frame and is like 6'-5", so he's perhaps not the best comparison.

But yeah, small heavyweights do plenty these days. Many of the AA's nowadays are in the 230 neighborhood. Personally I think Camp looks perfect for 197. I was under the impression that he went 215 mostly to prepare for football.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on January 26, 2011

Campo's at 215 because he can in as much as anything.

Why focus on weight cutting and the such when you can trounce the field in New Jersey at that weight.

I'm sure if he was vigilant about his wrestling, you could see him down at 189 this year. He probably wouldn't have gotten so big in the summer/fall, and would have made the cut incrementally in the pre-season.

That said, I also see one of two ways for him. Redshirt, lift heavily and bulk up to fill out as a 230ish heavy in a Dave Zabriskie mold. OR - manage down into a very formidable 197 where he could be an immediate impact kid.

Penn State, Rutgers, Ohio State would be my guesses for a top three.

I think Rivals is going to quote me in a story about Campo's recruitment reopening within the day.

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on January 27, 2011

To recruit Camp, you have to give him the vision of playing football at tOSU. He can not redshirt and his last year he can walk on the football team. He really like tOSU, I mean really. He is a 97 pounder his first 3 years at least, and maybe all 4. Member Mocco did it, just recruit Camp like that and he will come. I mean who would not want to wrestle at tOSU!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 27, 2011

I watched the Camp. interview and came away with these thoughts.

1) First wrestling program he discusses is Penn State. He mentions his admiration for Sanderson. Obviously, he has a great interest in PSU. I would install them as the front runner.

2) He also brings up how he is interested in academics and wants to attend a school that can provide him with a marketable degree. He mentions this several times. Translation: Cornell.

3) Bucks do get a mention as does Rutgers. I honestly felt that he wasn't likely to attend Rutgers but wanted to be respectful of their wrestling program.

Ohio State has stiff competition for Camp. They have to sell him on Ohio State's much improved academic environment. And they had better be prepared to offer him a full (or very close). Can't see him paying for school.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2