Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Best Wrestling Event of the Season in Ohio
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 24, 2011

Has to be the Graham v Eds dual. Almost every match I've watched so far has some drama. And it was decided in the final match in OT. Great dual. A classic.

If you haven't watched it, I encourage you to do so.

Go to Gohiocasts.com

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Zebulin Miller added to this discussion on January 25, 2011

http://gohiocasts.com/coverage/238276

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 25, 2011

I should add that the officiating was out-of-hand when it came to the stalling calls. That's the only downside. Why these guys couldn't just let the action decide the outcome between two top five programs is something I'll never understand.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 25, 2011

Hank - agree 100%. Officials feel the need to call stalling, plain and simple.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 25, 2011

yes was a great dual, for sure, yes the best event if u prefer duals as many fans do.

but in many minds Ironman was the best EVENT clearly, the overall level of talent was incredible and in the finals 11 of the 14 matches were close.

mighty Blair Academy 6 points behind st Paris with 4 wrestlers left wrestling Saturday night, in the Final 4 wts 119, 125, 130 and 135--- 2 going for first, 1 for 3rd, one for 5th place-- 2 needed to win to overcome or tie St Paris 6 point lead. st Paris with No One left could only watch.

And the level of comp was such that Blairs 4 high nationally ranked wrestlers could Not Win Even One of their final 4 matches though all were nailbiters, and st Paris won the tourn.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 25, 2011

Bob: The Ironman is unquestionably the greatest event of the high school season in Ohio (excluding the state meet which is post-season).

I should have called it the dual of the year.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 25, 2011

For drama in Ohio, this was it.

2 of the top 5 teams in the country from this State going down to the final match in OT: at least so far this year, this was it BY FAR..

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 25, 2011

yes was great, were u there Row?

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 26, 2011

Almost always Bub.

Why did I know there would be a retort? (that's a rhetorical question, Bob). Just like there will be to this post. Self-restraint is an impoprtant asset in wrestling!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 26, 2011

You guys do realize that the Cruiser Invitational is this weekend, right!?

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on January 27, 2011

"I should add that the officiating was out-of-hand when it came to the stalling calls. That's the only downside. Why these guys couldn't just let the action decide the outcome between two top five programs is something I'll never understand."

Hank,
I can finally log on so I have to ask, do you really think officials want to call stalling in a match? Really?? That call, more than any other, gets us in the hot spot with fans and coaches. I would be will to bet on a couple of things.
1) 99.5% of all officials would rather not make the call and have the wrestlers decide the match. The problem is that when there is no action, who is at fault? This is where we come in and the results are never popular. Keep moving and avoid the call!
2) You could get 20 coaches in a room and they could never agree on stalling calls either. They know it is stalling when it is the other guy but it is never stalling when it is their guy.
Many of you watch more college stuff than high school. College officials have to deal with riding time, we do not. In high school, riding, without working for points or the fall, is stalling. Waiting for the other guy to make a mistake (while you are doing nothing) is stalling. Until the rules change, that is the way we have to call the match.
Would you propose the removal of stalling from the rules? Are there consequences because of that idea?
We can call it any way the rules read but please get off the idea that officials WANT to call stalling for no reason. It simply isn't true.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 30, 2011

Jim: My point is that the calls didn't need to be made. The refs hit several wrestlers for stalling in the top position when bottom was doing nothing. It was ridiculous. Arguably, unnecessary stalling calls cost Martin the match. When Eds and Graham are wrestling, these kids are going at it. Stalling almost never needs to be called let alone several times a match.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on January 30, 2011

"My point is that the calls didn't need to be made. The refs hit several wrestlers for stalling in the top position when bottom was doing nothing. It was ridiculous."

I wasn't there so I can not address the specifics BUT I have to believe that the officials felt differently than you. You are a fan, they are not, and I assure you that they would rather not make the call if they didn't feel it was there.
I have no idea the top man was doing anything in the situations you mention (nor if the bottom man was either) but if the top man is camping out on the hips, what do you expect the defensive wrestler to do? This is a classic, "what's the top man doing" and "what's the bottom man doing"? Ever use that when you coached?

"When Eds and Graham are wrestling, these kids are going at it. Stalling almost never needs to be called let alone several times a match."

I find it hard to imagine that you really believe that. Since when does the school someone comes from have anything to do with how they wrestle? Are they talented? You bet but, do you really think that because someone wrestles for school A (and they are very successful) that they never stall? When they are out of gas, or don't want to take risks, they stall. Always happens, always will.

You can bet that the pressure, on the official, is tremendous to "get it right". His idea of right just doesn't match yours.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 31, 2011

Jim: I appreciate your point of view. I've just seen too many good matches ruined because stalling was called when I felt it was unnecessary. Obviously, it's my opinion. Agree that refs are in a tough spot at times.

► Add to the Discussion