Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: OU/KSU/OSU
Luke Moore added to this discussion on January 23, 2011

I get frustrated from time to time on how Buckeye dominated this forum can be. While it obviously makes sense since the Bucks are the bigger school, Big Ten school, the dream of many young Ohio wrestlers, etc., it is still, none the less, frustrating.

I wish that more credit and publicity would be given to the other schools in Ohio that are having a lot of success. In all actuality, OSU may be the 3rd best team in Ohio right now (possibly 4th).

I am an OSU fan, and personally, an Ohio wrestler fan who follows guys like Dong, Taylor, etc., however, there are some great things going on at the colleges here in our state that need not go unrecognized.

As an OU alum, I am obviously proud of where the program is going. 5 national qualifiers a year ago, 1 AA, 2 in the round of 12. And I think they are even better this year, with the likes of Schuth, Purdue, Lindsay and Johnson. Why does this go unnoticed on websites like this?

Kent continues to be a top 15-20 program in the country. They have a possible 2-3 AAs on their team right now and are the only team to beat CMU in the MAC in the past 5 years, however it seems to go without recognition.

I am not even mentioning teams like NDC, Findlay, etc.

let's not forget the other great programs in Ohio and continue to recognize their accomplishments, as well as the Buckeyes.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Grant Varnum added to this discussion on January 23, 2011

i wont speak for anyone else, but the primary reason that i believe OSU is the topic right now, is the fact that they have gone from a VERY dominant team with not only multiple all-americans but multiple finalists, to, well, a team without those accolades.

most of us don't have the "ins/outs" from the room, and are only able to talk via results - but the change from the past several years to what is going on now is the reason that OSU leads the headlines, again, in my opinion.

no question KSU and OU have some good things going on, and NDC is an absolute terror...but it takes someone starting a thread (you) to discuss those things in more detail...

take the lead - don't be the one that is just frustrated by the lack of discussion about Lindsey and Kilgore and etc etc - start the discussions...

i am sure that most on here are looking for positive discussions about ANYTHING Ohio wrestling, even if that is with regards to Ohio guys wrestling out of state...

just my 2 cents...which, with inflation and interest rates, isn't even worth half of that anyway...

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 23, 2011

For me its a time and habit issue. I watch the Buckeyes on BTN and when I can get over to the home dual. I pretty much watch any dual on tv via dvr, as I can fast forward the not so interesting matches. I like watching Kilgore and make exception for him on the internet. I watch specific matches on the internet and interview content. If KSU and OU were televised more on STO(sports time ohio) I would be very much inclined to watch and probably have an opinion. I recall watching CMU v KSU last year in an excellent dual. There is no doubt that all Ohio schools deserve the attention but promotion of wrestling in the MAC still needs to make some strides.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 24, 2011

I'm interested to see if Coach Andrassy can capitalize on this year's strong team and land a few more top level recruits. Ian Miller coming in was huge, but he needs a couple more of those EVERY YEAR.

I'd like to see him land a few more from 2011 and then ride that wave to a monster class in 2012.

► Add to the Discussion