Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Discussion Topic: OSU - Iowa
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 26, 2011

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"Speaking of injuries, has anyone heard the status of Andrew Howe? If he can't go by Big Tens, 165 is wide open. Even if he returns, will he be 100%?"

Not sure I would say its wide open with Jordan B. there unless you are talking about 165 in the Big Ten

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 26, 2011

James, I wast thinking Big Ten title. Would be nice to see Big Ten champ and Burroughs go to opposite brackets, though.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 26, 2011

"Mistakes, ive made a few but then too few to mention" -- line from a great song by my favorite Frank Sinatra, but Not the story of my life, ive made too many mistakes to mention. However i digress.

Re "Mistakes in Recruiting": the VERY BIGGEST are bringing in the wrong guy for major money. He handcuffs you and prevents you from offering the guy u need to bring in. Until the "mistake" leaves one way or another, for academics, discipline, homesick, dropout, decreased wrestling desire, injuries, whatever ---
YOU ARE STUCK until they leave or are removed!!!

The ANSWER is, in Ryan's tenure here are the Biggies:
1. Recruiting Weakley AND Patrovich over KILGORE.
2. Cody Gardner
3. Not recruiting DAKE !!!
4. Weakley not leaving soon enough to get ED RUTH.
5. Not going after certain Ohio kids, we know their names, for a little more money.
6. Bringing in several highly decorated kids --we know the names-- who just couldnt hack it. The work and dedication required is not for everyone regardless of high school achievements. s/BobP

Mike Leedy added to this discussion on January 26, 2011

I would argue that real fan would not drink the koolaid and would hold their team up to a higher standard. For some reason, Ohio State Wrestling fans are willing to except less than Ohio State Football fans. I've never been able to figure out why?[/quote]

This is exactly what I feel.

Thanks, Micheal.

Bill Watson added to this discussion on January 26, 2011

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

""Mistakes, ive made a few but then too few to mention" -- line from a great song by my favorite Frank Sinatra, but Not the story of my life, ive made too many mistakes to mention. However I digress.

Re "Mistakes in Recruiting": the VERY BIGGEST are bringing in the wrong guy for major money. He handcuffs you and prevents you from offering the guy u need to bring in. Until the "mistake" leaves one way or another, for academics, discipline, homesick, dropout, decreased wrestling desire, injuries, whatever ---
YOU ARE STUCK until they leave or are removed!!!

The ANSWER is, in Ryan's tenure here are the Biggies:
1. Recruiting Weakley AND Patrovich over KILGORE.
2. Cody Gardner
3. Not recruiting DAKE !!!
4. Weakley not leaving soon enough to get ED RUTH.
5. Not going after certain Ohio kids, we know their names, for a little more money.
6. Bringing in several highly decorated kids --we know the names-- who just couldnt hack it. The work and dedication required is not for everyone regardless of high school achievements. s/BobP"

Did DAKE really want to be a buckeye?... Weakley, looked promising,and hindsight is always 20-20... not every kid pans out....is anyone screaming don't take either stieber tessari or garcia??? No but if one fails to live up to expectations 3 years from now we will say.. bad move by Ryan. Big mistake, I think to get stuck in the moment like that!

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 27, 2011

Something I always wondered about the year Kilgore came out. TOSU had a very good recruiting class. Kilgore was head and shoulders above anything KSU was getting in recent years. Did KSU simply put a lot of scholarship money behind Kilgore while that year TOSU had to spread it out and Weakly was the alternative?

Are they doing the same with Miller, another stellar recruit who perhaps hedlines a recruiting class while they get other lesser known diamonds in the rough, like Borelli does?

I just don't know but it would make sense.

Grant Varnum added to this discussion on January 27, 2011

come on guys...a couple of years ago, while we were all complaining about not getting enough "ohio blue chippers", and then we see Lance/Nemec/, followed by Collin/Tony, we were all pumped about the potential pipeline that was to be(and still might be, as demonstrated by the seniors coming in).

NOONE on any forum could predict the injuries/personal situations to end a group of monstrously successful careers. (I include Nemec in that group, due to the surgeries he had after high school, as that definitely changed his ability IMO).

when a program loses that kind of talent, it is going to take an adjustment period - not only to replace that talent in competition, but also in terms of drill partners in the room.

lance - 4x
reece - 3x
collin - 4x
jameson - 4x
(oh, and some other guys, Pucillo/Rella, that did some damage along the way)

that is a lot to replace in just one season...am i happy with how things are? of course not...but i am sure the coaches are more disgruntled about it than any of us...

let it develop for a year or two - let the program regroup...

Alex Creech added to this discussion on January 27, 2011

I really don't think OSU wrestling fan's expectations are any lower than football's. I don't think anyone on this forum or in the wrestling room is OK with how the season is going.

But let's be realistic here. It's the perfect storm. OSU had arguably the best senior class ever graduate. OK, Iowa had a pretty good one also.

If that had been all, OSU would probably be fine right now. But then they lose Stieber, Triggas, Palmer, Jameson, Garcia, Hiles, and Demas. I'm sorry, no program can recover from that. You think Iowa would be good if no McDonough, Mark Ballweg, Derek St John, Ethan Lofthouse, and basically no HW?

Reece, Pucillo, L Palmer, D Rella, Morrison, Triggas, Stieber, C Palmer, Jameson, Garcia, Demas, Hiles........

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 27, 2011

I see Demas took a second place at Ashland last weekend. He lost 5-4 to #1 ranked (NAIA) senior Thomas Straughn of NDC. Seems like Josh is winning a lot of matches and is making the most of his red-shirt season. Given the current circumstances at OSU, I'm glad they didn't pull him out of red-shirt. Let that next group spend 4 years together.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 28, 2011

Well put Bob.

Kilgore. Missed opportunity for the Buckeyes. I am assuming that Kent gave him a full ride and OSU just did not have the monies available. Hindsight is 20/20.

Also, I like that you point out tied up monies affects the scholarship packages that you can put together for potential recruits. So, one bad recruit is destructive in two ways, not just one. Let me clarify "bad" as not contributing and taking away.

Ian Miller. IMO, Ian has the whole package and will make an outstanding DI College wrestler. He was most definitely worthy of consideration. Plus, he would be a second generation Buckeye.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 28, 2011

Kilgore - don't assume that he would have selected OSU over Kent. Perhaps he felt Kent was a better fit, felt comfortable with the staff, etc. Obviously he made the correct choice for his personal development.

Also, from watching videos we know that Ian is close with Zeb, who is close with the Kent program. Once again, I would guess Kent was seen as the better fit for his talents than tOSU, and judging be recent events you can't second guess that decision.

Rex - I agree, Ian will be a great college wrestler. People who attack win in college.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 28, 2011

Ethan-

You are right. No slight intended to KSU. I don't know the details but there are certain wrestlers in my mind that are must haves in OH and those are two of them.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5