Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Pitt vs. PSU NOW (Friday Night)
Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 21, 2011

On the Big Network. Cam Wade vs. Ryan Tomei should be a good match. So should Max Thomuseitt vs. Quentin Wright.

Don't miss it!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 21, 2011

Thoughts:

Max T will AA before he is done at Pitt.

All the young PSU stars are great for the sport. They attack non stop, always move forward, always look to score. They aren't afraid to give up points, so they wrestle without fear. Cael is fostering a great culture.

The addition of Long makes this line up scary.

Alton controlled Nauman, wasn't as close as the score. His reputation helped, as Nauman was scared to get thrown and gave up early on a couple shots.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 22, 2011

I was shocked when Wright put Max straight on his back. Max did a great job staying in the match.

I couldn't help but laugh through the Taylor bout. He was making the guy look like a biddy wrestler. My thought being, the kid from Pitt is a D1 wrestler and has paid some dues to get there. It amazes me that David is that far ahead of the pack. I don't know why it amazes me...

Ed Ruth was fun to watch. He is not as polished as Taylor and you could see he was trying to work some things out, yet still dominated that match. It will be interesting to see how he develops with aspirations towards international competition.

I'm not a Cameron Wade fan (mostly because of his senior year state finals stupidity), but he did a great job of being the aggresor in that match. He controlled the entire match and deserved that victory.

My final thought was that Penn State is the most exciting college wrestling team to watch (from a fans perspective) I've seen for a while. I think the excitement they are generating will be good for college wrestling. In a perfect world, with no injuries, etc., that team could win several D1 titles. It will be fun to watch.

The Wisconsin-Nebraska match was not nearly as exciting, but still a lot of great wrestling there too. A lot of heart in this match. A win by a kid weighing in under 180lbs at 197. The last match of the night was fun. I was a little bummed with Ben Jordan's match. I guess I wanted to see more from him, but he won. Really impressed with the 133 from Wisconsin. I am mostly surprised at the lack of depth in the Wisconsin room. The last kid of the night has wrestled in 4 different weight classes this year. No one filled in for Howe? I thought that was unusual.

My wife was less than amused with me watching 4 hours of wrestling last night.

OSU vs Iowa is on BTN at 4pm today!

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 22, 2011

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"
All the young PSU stars are great for the sport. They attack non stop, always move forward, always look to score. They aren't afraid to give up points, so they wrestle without fear. Cael is fostering a great culture.
"

This is the best I've seen it put into words, Ethan.

Grant Varnum added to this discussion on January 22, 2011

okay - that PSU lineup is ridiculous...

Pataky (SR) 11th - taking the night off
Long (SO) 5th - monster
Alton (FR) 5th - monster
Molinero (JR) 5th - monster (Alton in another year)
Taylor (RFR) 2nd - monster
Kemerer (FR) tops coming out of HS - will get better
Ruth (FR) 2nd - monster
Wright (SO) 6th - will get back in "shaper" fast
Steadman (JR) Ruggear (FR)-
Wade (JR) 7th - getting better and better

The way it looks, PSU has 7-8 most likely making the podium, with that entire crew coming back next year...this will be fun to watch...

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 22, 2011

Cornell and PSU will likely be a great two man race at Nationals. What I like is that both these squads are head and shoulders better than Okie State and Iowa right now and that doesn't look like it's going to change. Those two schools have dominated for a long time and aren't going to just trade off being back on top.

Grant Varnum added to this discussion on January 22, 2011

what will be interesting will be the recruiting classes that he pulls together over the next 1-2-3 years...with (i am assuming) a lot of money tied up in these frosh/sophs, and with incomers knowing that they are prolly gonna play a backseat to these guys for a few years, will the lure of money/starting for another school be too much for the run to continue?

i am not doubting the abilities there at PSU to start a long-term run...just that things have changed so much since the 70's-80's runs that Iowa had, it would seem more difficult to put a dynasty together for that kind of run...

again, another "it will be interesting to watch"...

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 22, 2011

Well, Coach Sanderson already signed Megaludis and McIntosh (the best little man and the best big man in this years class) to come Penn State next fall.

I don't think a 80s Iowa-type run is likely, but I could see PSU winning three or four titles over the next five years.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 22, 2011

I am counting a legitimate 7 AAs this year, with Dave Taylor as champion. Ruth might as well. It is quite likely that they put six in the Semis of the NCAA tourney. That's a lot of points.

I cannot wait to see how it plays out at this year's tourney.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 22, 2011

Their all-out style will help in the bracket tournament format, too, as they will score a ton of bonus points at 33, 57, 74, and, if Wright gets into Shape, 84.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 22, 2011

I'm actually looking forward to Penn State/Iowa dual next week on BTN. Other than 197, PSU is solid up & down the lineup, especially with Wright and Patacky back.

► Add to the Discussion