Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio State vs Kent State Dual
Tim Courtad added to this discussion on January 15, 2011

Andrassey calls out Tom Ryan at the Wrestlers in Business Launch Event.

I don't understand why Ohio State will not trade off home duals with Kent. Kent has proven themselves as a worthy opponent and at this current time the better team. I'm not sure if they are scared to lose or just think they are too good for Kent. This dual is a big draw for Ohio and would only help the financial situation in college wrestling for both schools.

We all know Ohio State has a ton of money. If Ohio State wants to have opponents ten years from now, they would understand the need to compete against the smaller schools. The sad thing is that NCAA Football understands this basic concept, but our beloved sport of wrestling tries to find ways to kill off the sport any time they get a chance.

Let's put the ego's away and make this dual happen. Ohio University should have the same home dual trade also.

Let's support the sport and give what the Ohio fans want.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 15, 2011

I think Coach Ryan made the right call taking Kent off the schedule this year. The fact of the matter is Kent is the better team. If Ohio State wrestles Kent State and loses, it's a huge recruiting win for Kent. I would argue that just stepping on the mat with Ohio State is a recruiting win for Andrassy. If they're on the schedule, you can bet Coach Andrassy brings it up to all his prospective recruits. "Well, we're beefed up our schedule this year. We're headed down to the Southern Scuffle and the National Duals and we've got the Big Dual with Ohio State".

I get the need to grow the sport, but not at the expense of your own program.

This might be the whole problem why Ohio State is in the situation it is in. Iowa is not scared to lose recruits to other programs. They will wrestle anyone, anytime. With the resources that OSU has, they should have higher expectations.

To be successful in wrestling you need to wrestle the best. It would only help the OSU wrestlers to compete against kilgore, Bedolyn, and Barlow. Competition makes you better.

OSU should be secure enough that they can get any recruit they want. If they are worried about Kent, how do you think they will ever be able to compete with the new regime at Penn State.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 15, 2011

I would like to see the dual, also, but there is little doubt Iowa ducked the National Duals because of the condition of its team this year. Even Brands inferred that in some article I read.

If you're going to be the big dog you have to beat all comers. TOSU should wrestle KSU.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 15, 2011

Quote from Tim Courtad's post:

"This might be the whole problem why Ohio State is in the situation it is in. Iowa is not scared to lose recruits to other programs. They will wrestle anyone, anytime. With the resources that OSU has, they should have higher expectations.

To be successful in wrestling you need to wrestle the best. It would only help the OSU wrestlers to compete against kilgore, Bedolyn, and Barlow. Competition makes you better.

OSU should be secure enough that they can get any recruit they want. If they are worried about Kent, how do you think they will ever be able to compete with the new regime at Penn State."

First off, as Roe said, this is not the best time to use Iowa as an example of a team taking on all comers. There are several articles out there where Coach Koll from Cornell calls out the Hawlkeyes for ducking competition at the National duals.

Now I'm no Ohio State fan, and while I follow Kent because they have several Ohio wrestlers that I enjoy watching, I wouldn't call me a "fan" of Kent either. All I was saying is that if Ohio State wrestles Kent, particularly in a down year like this, they're just handing Kent a huge recruiting victory. While I agree that the dual would be great for fans and the sport in general, I totally see why Coach Ryan would want to avoid it.

Ohio State is not in the hole it's in because of lack of competition on their schedule. They wrestle in The Big Ten, period. They're in this mess because of graduating a great senior class, poor recruiting, poor development of the talent in the room and the injury to Logan Stieber.

As far as the question about, if they are worried about Kent, how will they be able to compete with Penn State? Simple, I don't think they'll be able to.

BTW, I totally agree that with the resources that OSU has (and the recruiting ground), they should have higher expectations.

Maybe Iowa was a bad example. The fact doesn't change that this dual should be done regardless of how good the other team is.

Ohio is a big state, we can have a couple of top teams in it. OSU can protect their in state record against other Ohio schools and continue to watch our all star recruits go out of state to wrestle in college.

If we can create excitement in our own state with rivalries like Iowa/ Iowa State, maybe majority of our recruits will stay in Ohio.

LET'S MAKE THIS DUAL HAPPEN!!!!!!!! NO EXCUSES!!!!!

I am a Ohio University guy, and I want this dual to happen, because it is good for the sport of wrestling.

Anthony Windsor II added to this discussion on January 15, 2011

"This might be the whole problem why Ohio State is in the situation it is in. Iowa is not scared to lose recruits to other programs. They will wrestle anyone, anytime. With the resources that OSU has, they should have higher expectations."

In all fairness, Iowa isn't scared to lose recruits because they won't lose any recruits. The draw of going to Iowa is enough for them to recruit.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on January 15, 2011

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I think Coach Ryan made the right call taking Kent off the schedule this year. The fact of the matter is Kent is the better team. If Ohio State wrestles Kent State and loses, it's a huge recruiting win for Kent. I would argue that just stepping on the mat with Ohio State is a recruiting win for Andrassy. If they're on the schedule, you can bet Coach Andrassy brings it up to all his prospective recruits. "Well, we're beefed up our schedule this year. We're headed down to the Southern Scuffle and the National Duals and we've got the Big Dual with Ohio State".

I get the need to grow the sport, but not at the expense of your own program."

So blatantly ducking Kent helps Ohio State?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 16, 2011

It helps then more than losing to Kent would.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on January 16, 2011

"It helps then more than losing to Kent would."

Probably not to anyone astute and perceptive enough to see through it.

Brad Perkins added to this discussion on January 17, 2011

It would be awesome to see this duel every year. Saw it a few years back at Kent, it was intense on both sides. Having said that, Andrussey needs to look in the mirror. After one of their matches in Columbus he called out one of the Ohio State wrestlers saying he knew he would break. There is never any reason to disrespect your opponent like that, you can praise your own athlete with out showing disrepect to the other side. Hopefully he learned from this and they wrestle again starting next season.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 17, 2011

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

Probably not to anyone astute and perceptive enough to see through it."

That is only adults who care about this. High school recruits don't -- actual on the mat competition means more, way more to them.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on January 17, 2011

Quote from Anthony Windsor II's post:

"

"This might be the whole problem why Ohio State is in the situation it is in. Iowa is not scared to lose recruits to other programs. They will wrestle anyone, anytime. With the resources that OSU has, they should have higher expectations."

In all fairness, Iowa isn't scared to lose recruits because they won't lose any recruits. The draw of going to Iowa is enough for them to recruit."

Not completely true, Anthony. Iowa finds itself in a tougher recruiting battle with Minnesota, ISU, Oklahoma St, and Wisconsin than ever before. Dan Gable might attend the events, but this is Tom Brands' program now. What does he have over the other coaches? Olympic gold medal? So do the coaches from ISU and Oklahoma St. Barry Davis from Wisconsin has a silver medal. Is it that he was "Gable Trained?" So was Barry Davis (and Tom Ryan for that matter). The culture at Iowa is changing and so too might its stranglehold on the best recruits in the nation. The next 2 to 3 years are very important to the University of Iowa wrestling program as it will define Tom Brands as a coach and result in the best from Iowa either wanting to wrestle for him or "take their talents to..." Bottom line, Iowa isn't the same Iowa it was during the Gable years.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on January 17, 2011

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

Probably not to anyone astute and perceptive enough to see through it."

That is only adults who care about this. High school recruits don't -- actual on the mat competition means more, way more to them."

Perhaps true, if those recruits don't have involved parents who I am assuming are adults.

► Add to the Discussion