Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: A few thoughts from the weekend
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 9, 2011

1. Nemec - not much to say yet. I think when he settles back in at 57 he will be fine. Not great, but fine. At this time the fan base has to have realistic expectations for his performance. If he can qualify for nationals it would be a success.

2. OSU in general, I felt like I noticed some fire from the team this weekend. You can tell Coach Ryan is trying to get the team pumped.

Heflin took down Lewnes and wrestled tough.

Colt - I thought he showed solid attacks against Kerber, just struggled to finish.

3. Cornell - Rob Koll is a coaching master. They won National Duals without two former AAs in Grey and Simaz. They had back ups beating AAs.

There has been a lot of talk of depth on this forum this season, Cornell's depth is outstanding. On a side note, I am on Coach Koll's distribution list and see his weekly/monthly updates. He does an amazing job marketing his program.

Dake looked like he has the weight sorted out and I would take him every day over Caldwell.

4. No Iowa at National Duals. Coach Koll laid it on Brands again, but I don't get it. If Brands didn't want to take the team, who cares? Would it be more fun if Iowa was there? Yes.

5. Kent - solid. Great 3rd at Virginia Duals. Another team with tremendous depth, but they also have national level studs in Bedelyon and Kilgore who they can count on a dual win almost every time out.

It seemed that Coach Andrassy had the team well prepared for this tournament. Brandon Johnson had a 'break out' performance, losing 11-8 to Ruth and beating the ASU kid who receives ranking consideration.

Here's a question, (not to pile on the Buckeyes, becacuse I am an OSU fan, but just something I was thinking about): Would Kent's 2nd team beat OSU this season? I would favor Mitcheff, Sasfy, Shuster, and Joe T for sure. That means if they could get a win from Newburg/Witt at 84 and not give up bonus, who knows. Anyway, I digres...

6. Wisconsin is good, they are coaching kids up in Madison. They were 3rd with a reserve 57 wrestling 74, and won 6 of ten matches with VT.

7. Virginia Tech - what a performance! Devin Carter looks like an AA right away, he pounded Sentes. Dong and Stephens also looked good.

8 David Taylor - Hodge as a Freshman?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Antony Sharples added to this discussion on January 9, 2011

I've said it on other boards. Taylor wins the Hodge this year. He is the most dominant and complete wrestler in the nation.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 9, 2011

Quote from Antony Sharples's post:

"I've said it on other boards. Taylor wins the Hodge this year. He is the most dominant and complete wrestler in the nation."

I'll still go with Jordan Burroughs for the moment.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 9, 2011

Loved it. Thanks.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 10, 2011

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"

Dake looked like he has the weight sorted out and I would take him every day over Caldwell."

FYI, Caldwell started his season this weekend... and did so with 5 pins. I'll take Caldwell in this matchup, personally. Especially if it's in the finals--the guy shines in the spotlight.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 10, 2011

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Dake looked like he has the weight sorted out and I would take him every day over Caldwell. "

It's easy to give Dake the nod right now since Caldwell's been out for a year-and-a-half. But if Caldwell comes back anything close to what he was two years ago, or if he's made strides in his time off, he's you 149-pound champion this year.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 10, 2011

One thing about Dake, he is extremely difficult to take down. I think it will be super fun to watch from a fan's perspective to see what happens when they get into the scramble which will likely decide the match

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 10, 2011

Michael - I hear you, but I will take Dake's excellence combined with the coaching and in-room competition at Cornell over Caldwell and NC State.

Dake is true scrambler, Metcalf is not. That is where Caldwell beat Metcalf.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 10, 2011

Two years ago Darrion Caldwell was the best collegiate competitor in the country (Burroughs was a close second in my opinion). I watched him destroy Lance Palmer in the Vegas Finals like no one else ever did. He dominated one of the greatest collegiate competitors of the last decade, Brent Metcalf, capping off a season where he pinned or Teched most of his competition. Because of my great respect for Rex's knowledge, I will consider that Dake might figure out how to slow down Caldwell. But a healthy Caldwell remains the greatest talent in the collegiate ranks and a future MMA superstar if he choose to go in that direction.

Just my opinion, of course.

And I might be underrating Burroughs (as Mike R has pointed out) who is also a superior competitor. The Burroughs of two years prior was also a remarkably skilled champion.

Hank-
You are giving me way too much credit. I am just saying that Dake looked amazing in fending off Humphries' attack when in super tight on the body.

Here is my reasoning why I think Dake may win a similar postion against Caldwell. Although Dake had leverage against Humphries, which he will not have against Caldwell; I suspect that Dake will engage the same type of deep positions with Caldwell and one of the two will score from the position due to Caldwell's willingness to go big. They have not wrestled which should make it a wash but I suspect that it will bend in Dake's favor as he and a large number of Cornell wrestlers are very good defensively and are very happy to wrestle counteroffense. I think they will wrestle from a lot of "dirty" scramble positions which are initiated by Caldwell and improvised by Dake. I suspect that if Dake gets on top, he will be able to ride Caldwell. I don't think Caldwell rides him. The way Caldwell wins is if his attacks finish clean, but I anticipate Dake's ability to muddy the situation. IMHO, too close to call.

A couple things:

1) Another guy you're possibly neglecting for the top wrestler of two years ago is the Hodge winner: Jake Herbert. Herbert had a ton of pins, beat Pucillo in the finals, and nearly teched Phil Keddy (who is NOT easily scored on). Just abused him. Burroughs probably had the best season, though. I think his year off last year makes people forget, but he went undefeated and beat THREE NCAA champs that year: Schlatter, Gillespie (by major), and Leen. Throw in a finals win over two-time finalist Mike Poeta and that's just incredible. I can understand the argument for Caldwell, and I think he is just freaking awesome. I, personally, wouldn't say he was the best from two years ago, though.

2) Humphrey did score on Dake, even though Dake's defense was good. Dake won the bout with three escapes.

Looks like my wrestling memory is fading

It was in the first period. Pretty sure it was a bear hug of sorts. Dake escaped (I think with like 10 seconds left in the period, so a rideout there would have won Humphrey the match). Then Humphrey took neutral and didn't score again. Dake's second escape forced overtime, and he won in the tie breakers. For some reason (fatigue? hurt ankle?), Humphrey didn't seem to make much of an effort to score from neutral despite the fact that Dake had a clear advantage on the mat.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 10, 2011

Dake also beat Humphrey at National Duals, 8-4.

Side note - I still think Humphrey not being second seed was criminal.

This is why I love this site, people know their wrestling.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next