Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Northern Iowa 20- OSU 19
Mike Taylor added to this discussion on January 10, 2011

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Not slitting hairs here but I thought Bergman got 3rd his freshman year and Mike P's first placement was 7th???

Cool thing about the Bergman situation was that he was only the 2nd wrestler up to that point to lose in the first round and finish 3rd. Anyone know the first?"

Mark Neimann?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 11, 2011

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Not slitting hairs here but I thought Bergman got 3rd his freshman year and Mike P's first placement was 7th???

Cool thing about the Bergman situation was that he was only the 2nd wrestler up to that point to lose in the first round and finish 3rd. Anyone know the first?"

Mark Neimann?"

No! I almost put that in my question... the fact that it was not me. I did come close though. Being a 4x sectional qualifier can often times lull your opponents to sleep. The next thing you do is take a piss-poor shot (like I often did), get your opponent laughing hysterically, and BAM!!! you've got them right where you want them!

It is a tactic that grew old quick though, hence my inability to win out for third.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 11, 2011

Mark-
I think you may be slipping as well, Mike P took 6th as originally stated. I went to the NCAA tournament in '87 and I recall Jeff Gibbons having a heck of a consi round. Iowa State won the team title that year, upsetting Iowa's longstanding dominance. I checked the website and he did finish 3rd that year, I will rummage through my memorabilia (if I have the time) and see where he lost in the Championship bracket. In the meantime, who are you thinking of?

Rex, in all honesty, I have no clue. I heard, when J.D. did it, that he was the second. I don't remember if they said who the first was or not.

Do know I know it wasn't Rex Holman... he stayed up top in those tournaments!!!

...and did so with the over tie! (We taught that last week.)

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on January 11, 2011

In 1998, 7th seeded John Lange of Penn State took third in the 158 lb. class by winning seven straight matches after losing in the first round.

In 2004, unseeded J.D. Bergman did the same.

Pucillo was 6th at 184 in 2007. He won at 184 in '08. He was second at 184 to Jake Herbert in '09. In '10, he lost to Mike Miller of Central Michigan in the 184 championship pigtail, and then he won 4 in a row in the bottom bracket. He ended up one short of his 4th All-American finish.

Thanks, Doug. That should clear some things up!

Kudos Doug!

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on January 11, 2011

Red shirting is not a guarantee of a good next year. You can’t bank talent. I’ve know coaches that say “If you can wrestle you wrestle” because you never know what can happen the years after the red shirt. You can not make the line up because of a stud transfer or recruit, get hurt, not make grades, get in trouble, have your school drop wrestling and so on. If you are good enough to get on the mat today, I think you should do so. With the rare exception of Olympic timing. how rare is it to wrestle 4 straight years at the D1 level and not have some type of issue?

Good points Mark. Typically, when used during a freshman year it is provides an opportunity to adapt and develop since high school and college wrestling are different sides of the same coin.

If you are going by odds, then typically a wrestler will come out of redshirt hungry and ready to prove oneself. If the wrestler is left waiting in the wings without continual guidance, then one loses direction per se and cannot follow a typical developmental curve. Johnstone was the starter and I don't think Nemec could beat him, so he gained minimal experience and arguably regressed. Trying to make a season or improvement out of spotty opportunities does not typically work well.

I feel for the guy and hope that he can make the most of his talents. So, I believe in Coach Ryan's assessment of Nemec having all the tools and lacking some mental qualities, namely confidence. But it is important to understand that he may lack confidence due to losses which manifest as negative feedback(which is powerful stuff). Add in, the confusing nature of feedback and at times just trying to survive training can make the collegiate wrestling experience overwhelming and provide mediocre results.

My advice, hang in there brother and figure it out. It is hard to have perspective on something when you are in the midst of it. But, you cannot go wrong by developing ironclad technique and strategy. Anything technical that is spotty or could be seen as a mistake must be eliminated. What you do well must be improved upon and refined until it is bulletproof. Amen.

Anthony Windsor II added to this discussion on January 14, 2011

Quote from Brian Morrow's post:

"Dear coach Ryan please remove Nemec from lineup!"

Why would you want to take Nemec out of the line-up? Sure he hasn't performed as well as hoped, but he's been with the team for years now. Would you really rather have him replaced by a reserve?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2