Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Northern Iowa 20- OSU 19
John Ice added to this discussion on January 8, 2011

125 - Caleb Flores (Northern Iowa) dec. Bo Touris (Ohio State), 8 - 3

133 - Ian Paddock (Ohio State ) dec. Ryan Jauch (Northern Iowa), 8 - 5

141 - Randall Languis (Ohio State ) md. Alec Hoffman (Northern Iowa), 12 - 0

149 - Brett Robbins (Northern Iowa) md. Mike Fee (Ohio State), 11 - 3

157 - David Bonin (Northern Iowa) pinned Sean Nemec (Ohio State), 2:34

165 - Colt Sponseller (Ohio State ) dec. Nick Pickerell (Northern Iowa), 4 - 0

174 - Nick Heflin (Ohio State ) dec. Brice Wolf Northern Iowa), 3 - 2

184 - Ryan Loder (Northern Iowa) dec. Cody Magrum (Ohio State), 6 - 4

197 - Peter Capone (Ohio State ) pinned Joe Johnson (Northern Iowa), (3:57)

285 - Christian Brantley (Northern Iowa) md. Dominic Jontony (Ohio State), 13 - 3

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 8, 2011

Who would figure? Capone moves up a weight and wins both his matches today.

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on January 8, 2011

Dear coach Ryan please remove Nemec from lineup!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 8, 2011

I wonder if Kusar is down to 157 yet?

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on January 8, 2011

Not sure Jack but Nemec has proven he cant win anywhere in lineup.

Don Bork added to this discussion on January 8, 2011

Didn't see the match, but Nemec was ahead at the time of the pin. Let's give Nemec and Colt chance to get back on track after the "drop a weight class" fiasco. I realize Nemec has under achieved, but our options are few at this point.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on January 9, 2011

Take a second to compare the lineup OSU put out there yesterday versus the lineup that could have been...

125 - Bo Touris v. Logan Stieber

133 - Ian Paddock v. Ian Paddock

141 - Randy Languis v. Collin Palmer

149 - Mike Fee v. Tony Jameson

157 - Sean Nemec v. Josh Demas

165 - Colt Sponseller v. Colt Sponseller

174 - Nick Helflin v. Nick Heflin

184 - Cody Magrum v. Cody Magrum

197 - Peter Capone v. Peter Capone

285 - Dominic Jontony v. Tyrell Fortune/John Hiles

The difference is staggering.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 9, 2011

I wouldn't pile on Nemec. He was a much better wrestler a few years ago than he is now. Part of the problem has been bad luck. Some injuries last year cost him a chance to compete steadily at 157 and gain consistency as a starter. Then the staff made the decision to move him down a weight below where he belongs. Predictably, he struggled. It's going to take time to put him back together mentally and physically. He still has another year to compete and the best result would be for him to start making progress this year and then return and have a successful senior season.

Incidentally, he was winning his match yesterday when he got pinned. Looks like he was in charge and got caught. That's often what happens when things are going wrong.

The bigger picture remains that Ohio State needs to do the best possible job with what they've got at the moment.

Guys like Touris, Fee, Stolarsky, Bowers, Jontony, Zamaria, etc...have been in the room for a year or two (or three)and it's time for them to help. Let them. Coach em up...encourage em...and turn them into guys that will help next season when Ryan finally gets smart and redshirts all his big recruits (hear me Coach!).

Don Bork added to this discussion on January 9, 2011

I don't expect Ryan to redshirt all those recruits and it might not make sense to. If they all take the same year for a redshirt then some may lose a year or two by not being able to crack the lineup. Between Stieber, Stieber, Paddock, DiJulius and Tessari there are five wrestlers none of whom may wrestle higher than 149 in their careers.Not to mention we may recruit another couple good lightweights in the next couple years. Often wrestlers can learn more by wrestling a year or two and then use their redshirt to better advantage. I think the hope should be that Ryan takes advantage of the redshirts in a strategic manner.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 9, 2011

Quote from Don Bork's post:

"I don't expect Ryan to redshirt all those recruits and it might not make sense to. If they all take the same year for a redshirt then some may lose a year or two by not being able to crack the lineup. Between Stieber, Stieber, Paddock, DiJulius and Tessari there are five wrestlers none of whom may wrestle higher than 149 in their careers.Not to mention we may recruit another couple good lightweights in the next couple years. Often wrestlers can learn more by wrestling a year or two and then use their redshirt to better advantage. I think the hope should be that Ryan takes advantage of the redshirts in a strategic manner."

What I would like to see next year, with the future in mind:

125: Triggas
133: Paddock
141: Winner out of Zamaria/Tessari
149: Kusar/Vaughn
157: Demas
165: Garcia
174: Heflin
184: Magrum
197: Capone/"Greyshirt"
285: Transfer/whoever the best guy is, other than Elor.

Redshirt Logan (Olympic), Johnni, Hunter, Courts, Elor.

The REAL plan for the future would involve redshirting Demas, Garcia and "greyshirt," too, but it's probably asking a lot for a guy to sit two years in a row when he's possibly been good enough to start both of those years. Garcia might not be too upset taking an Olympic redshirt next year, though. Also, having a couple solid guys in the lineup will probably help motivate guys like Heflin and Magrum to be their best. I imagine the torch can be awful heavy for just one or two guys to carry.

Also, I know Ryan likes to put the best team out that he can. I think the lineup I listed is a nice balance between the options. I'm alright with the lineup I listed. However, I cannot describe how disappointed I would be if Logan, Hunter, Tessari, Demas, Garcia, and Courts are all in the lineup next year. I would also be very disappointed if I see both Hunter and Tessari in the lineup, and very disappointed if Courts doesn't redshirt. I can see the sense in starting one of them, but the other should redshirt. Courts definitely needs to redshirt and be an upperweight force for years.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 9, 2011

On paper, that is a very nice line-up. Here's hoping it translates into success on the mat.

It is at this point I feel compelled to announce that I am NOT the mystery greyshirt. ...just so we are all on the same page.

Bill Watson added to this discussion on January 10, 2011

Be careful of the red shirt... He redshirted Nemec and I havent read a positive thing about him in years on this forum.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 10, 2011

Bill:

Nemec was 26-5 as a redshirt in open competitions. He was wrestling better at that time than he is now. I'd say his experience is not the norm.

J. Jaggers followed up a redshirt year with 7th, 1, 1.

J.D. Bergman: 4th, DNP, redshirt, 4th, 2nd

Reece Hump: DNP, DNP, redshirt, 2nd, 3rd

Mike Pucillo: Redshirt, 6, 1, 2

Lance Palmer was a 4x AA without ever redshirting so there are obvious exceptions.

Bill Watson added to this discussion on January 10, 2011

@ Hank
My point was simply that kids burn out, given the rigor of a college season, maybe Ryan feels some kids wouldn't benefit from more time in the room. I think it will depend upon the situation. That said, I think Colt would have been a great red shirt, but thats just my two sense.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 10, 2011

Not slitting hairs here but I thought Bergman got 3rd his freshman year and Mike P's first placement was 7th???

Cool thing about the Bergman situation was that he was only the 2nd wrestler up to that point to lose in the first round and finish 3rd. Anyone know the first?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next