Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Questions from the Crowd: Coach Ryan's Response
Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 4, 2011

http://www.buckeyewrestling.com/index.php?q=node/38909

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 5, 2011

Interesting Interview:

1) I'd like to have heard more about Logan. Is he likely to receive a medical redshirt? Is the plan still for him to take an Olympic redshirt next season?

2) Sounds to me as if the incoming frosh will all have a chance to start next year. Clearly he can't wait to plug Garcia into the lineup.

3) He politely called out Sean Nemec. He mentioned how talented he thinks Nemec is and that it's up to him. Also sounds as if Nemec is moving back up to 157.

4) Coach Ryan indicated that some of the wrestlers he has recruited seem to lack the necessary ambition to succeed at this level. He mentioned that some guys have won a bunch of state titles but haven't seemed to have the desire it takes to excel at this level.

5) Bold admission that it's been harder than he thought to land some of the states recruits.

6) Second bold admission--that Coach Ryan tried to get Jeff Jordan to join his coaching staff. I think that would have been a very smart move if they could have co-existed.

7) Kevin Schlosser did a nice job asking good questions in a fair manner. Ryan didn't shy away from them.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 5, 2011

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Interesting Interview:

4) Coach Ryan indicated that some of the wrestlers he has recruited seem to lack the necessary ambition to succeed at this level. He mentioned that some guys have won a bunch of state titles but haven't seemed to have the desire it takes to excel at this level.
"

I think the problem is, when you come in to the college wrestling room, you assume that your same habits will keep you winning. You may think you'll have to work a little harder. But in reality, college wrestling is a different beast. There is no way to make that clear to a recruit until he hits the room and is in some matches.

I would never question the intent of a recruit, but it is pretty tough to know whom will stick out the process once he is in the environment. There are a lot of state champs out there that have become state champs purely on their incredible athelitic ability with less than stellar skills. Those guys have to decide pretty quickly whether it is worth it to them to put in the work to win at the college level. Their natural abilities alone will no longer get it done for them. I also think this is what explains guys that were never state champs becoming AAs or collegiate national champs. They may have been undersized or under coached for that matter in HS, but because of their determination and work ethic, they really excel at the college level.

In any event, coaches that have a knack for discerning these things about a wrestler are ahead of the rest. I'm not sure where Tom is at this point in his career, but he too will continue to develop as a coach and certainly no one would question his drive to do so.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 5, 2011

On the topic of landing in state recruits; it is a bit of a catch-22 and a tough thing for any in state coach, especially at tOSU.

As coach, you are obligated to at least go after any 3-4x state champ, whereas that state champ may have seen their best wrestling in high school.

The kids that are 1-2x state champs may not receive the recognition or have been on the radar as long and are perceived as lesser recruits. These are the ones that will come back to haunt you. There are a lot of Ohio guys performing well at other out of state universities, however they probably received good money to go there.

At the end of the day, it is still a crap shoot, but the coach who has inside information or knows more about the kid is usually better informed and able to make the best choice.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 5, 2011

Regarding Garcia,

Here is the thing that concerns me about him. He is wrestling freestyle, training it, living the dream. The Olympics are just around the corner and he is developing as a freestyler. If he has a really productive year and places at the National Open and competes at the final trials, there is probably a good chance that he could change his mind. It is pretty easy for me to imagine him finding a happy spot in Colorado Springs in which leaving will be difficult.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 5, 2011

Always love the candor of Ryan.

Maybe I didn't hear him right but did he say they were recruiting a 197? Something about a grayshirt? If so, does anyone know who that is?

John Ice added to this discussion on January 5, 2011

Maybe Tyler Lehman?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 5, 2011

"Something about a grayshirt? If so, does anyone know who that is?"
-------------------

a "grayshirt" recruit enrolls late to avoid being part of the Fall incoming class, in this case the September 2011 incoming freshman class.

It has to do with money, theres no athletic scholarship money for him next Fall but there will be sometime in 2012. s/BobP

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 5, 2011

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

""Something about a grayshirt? If so, does anyone know who that is?"
-------------------

a "grayshirt" recruit enrolls late to avoid being part of the Fall incoming class, in this case the September 2011 incoming freshman class.

It has to do with money, theres no athletic scholarship money for him next Fall but there will be sometime in 2012. s/BobP"

I know that this is what a greyshirt really is, but do you suppose Ryan mis-spoke when he said that? I just find it hard to believe that there won't be any money in the fall after Palmer and Jameson just got off the books.

Which brings to light another interesting point: it would seem that they will have plenty of money for another great recruiting class next year. I suppose that's the goodness we can salvage from losing two 4x'ers.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 6, 2011

I understand the grayshirt but thanks. Just wondering WHO? Any info on Lehman, John?

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on January 6, 2011

Regarding missing on recruits and not getting guys, I'm reminded of a quote I once heard from an ex-NFL coach, I believe during the draft:

It's not the ones you don't get who get you in trouble, it's the ones you get who don't pan out.

Losing David Taylor is a blow, but you can plan and coach around that. However, when you land Sean Nemec, Collin Palmer and Tony Jameson, and they don't pan out, that is twice as bad, because they are tying up money, roster spots and coaching time.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 6, 2011

Jason: astute observation. I agree completely.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 7, 2011

Astute: Luke said to quit stealing his words! ;-)

John Ice added to this discussion on January 7, 2011

Lehmnan is from Apple Valley and was a Minnesota recruit who went instead to the OTC in Colorado Springs. Currently ranked #9 at 96 kg.

Last edited by John Ice on January 7, 2011; edited 1 time in total

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 7, 2011

On Nemec,

If I interpreted it correctly, Coach Ryan thinks Sean has the physical tools as well as the technical skillset and is limited by the mental aspect.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next