Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ask Tom Ryan a Question!
Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 2, 2011

Kevin will be sitting down with Coach Ryan on TUESDAY around noon, and would like to ask questions that you have.

I don't think he can answer specific questions about recruits, but anything other than that it can't hurt to ask.

So post 'em here if you have any.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 3, 2011

While one part of me would like to know what in the heck is going on over there, the practical side says, "If they knew that answer, they wouldn't be in this position".

#1) Looking forward through the BigTen duals and on into the BigTen tournament, who, in your mind, seems to be leading the charge for the team, both in the practice room and on the mat?

#2) From where I sit, depth, and developed/experienced depth, seems to be lacking for tOSU. Is that the case from where you sit? If not, why not - if so, is there a 5 year plan to remedy this?

I'll stew over this some more...

#3) Please inform us as to your philosophy of the idea of red-shirting. Positives and negatives, if you'd like.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 3, 2011

Whay happened to "the fence"? I know you can't get them all, but with "the fence" comment, the outward perception was that there would be a new push to sign and develop Ohio talent. Since then, many, many great Ohio wrestlers have found homes at other universities and look to have promising careers on the horizon.

Looking back on the last four-plus years, seeing who you've lost, do you re-evaluate how you've been recruiting?

There have reportedly been some near misses with National level guys from out of state. Looking back, do you think you should have spent less time on them and more on Ohio talent?

What's the relationship between Ohio State and Graham? St. Edward? Is there a plan in place to develop these relationships?

How much does Ohio State miss Joe Heskett?

Both Ohio State and Penn State are in the market for a good young heavyweight (Wade has a year left and Ohio State is heavyweight by committee). How do you convince the best heavyweight availible to come to Ohio State rather than Penn State?

Edit: I totally forgot about Orry Elor's signing. The question still remains. How do you compete with Penn State's recruiting juggernaut. What about Ohio State is better than PSU?

What was the thought process on bringing Sponseller down to 157? Was it his idea or yours? Did either one of you need convincing by the other? Evaluating his skills, did you believe he could make a run at the 157-pound title?

Will Logan Stieber take an Olympic red-shirt next season?

Last edited by Michael Rodriguez on January 3, 2011; edited 3 times in total

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 3, 2011

1) Why have you gotten away from a philosophy of recruiting Ohio first?

2) St Eds has several talented big men at the moment. Are you actively recruiting Greg Kuhar and Ty Walz?

3) Why were you so successful developing your talent at Hofstra but have struggled to do the same at Ohio State?

4) Do you feel you have gotten away from certain coaching principles employed at Hofstra which brought your program great success? If so, why? If not, then why do the Buckeyes have no depth? (It's obvious that a lot of wrestlers in the room are not getting better)

5) Would you consider redshirting everyone next season--Paddock, both Stiebers, Tessari, DiJulius, Garcia, Courts and Elor--in order to put a very strong foundation in place for years to come? If not, why?

Mike Leedy added to this discussion on January 3, 2011

Do you feel any added pressure to recruit OH wrestlers?

I know Ohio is one of the best high school wrestling states in the country but, does that necessarily translate to success in college?

What are the keys to your vision of wrestling at The Ohio State University?

What are Tom Ryan's top priorities concerning wrestling?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 3, 2011

Do you feel like Iowa or Oklahoma State type success is possible at Ohio State?

Why the new restraining order!? ;-)

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 3, 2011

Ok... I've tried to pare down the duplicates and have come up with this list.

On Recruiting:
1) When you arrived at Ohio State you talked a lot about building a fence around Ohio's fertile recruiting ground. Of course you can't get them all, but with "the fence" comment, the outward perception was that there would be a new push to sign and develop Ohio talent. Since then, many, many great Ohio wrestlers have left the state, often at weights where Ohio State had needs. Has your approach to recruiting Ohio changed since you arrived?

2) There have reportedly been some near misses with National level guys from out of state. Looking back, do you think you should have spent less time on them and more on Ohio talent? Seeing who you've lost, do you re-evaluate how you view recruiting?

3) What's the relationship between Ohio State and Graham? St. Edward? Is there a plan in place to develop these relationships?

4) How do you compete with Penn State's recruiting juggernaut. What about Ohio State is better than PSU?

On the Coaching:
1) For all of your five years, you've started all of your best true freshman rather than investing a redshirt year in their development. Please inform us as to your philosophy on red-shirting. Positives and negatives, if you'd like.

2) Would you consider redshirting everyone next season--Paddock, both Stiebers, Tessari, DiJulius, Garcia, Courts and Elor--in order to put a very strong foundation in place for years to come? If not, why?

3) How much does Ohio State miss Joe Heskett? Who is taking his place and working with those
guys around 165-174?

4) Do you feel you have gotten away from certain coaching principles employed at Hofstra which brought your program great success? If so, why? If not, then why do the Buckeyes have no depth? (It's obvious that a lot of wrestlers in the room are not getting better)

5) What do you think is the core reason for the Buckeyes' lack of depth?

6) Is it true that Mark Niemann was all but signed to Joe Heskett's vacant coaching position but then got far out of control in his mancrushing of wrestlers, so is now banned from Ohio State's campus by a restraining order?

Of the Wrestlers:
1) Looking forward through the BigTen duals and on into the BigTen tournament, who, in your mind, seems to be leading the charge for the team, both in the practice room and on the mat?

2) From the bleachers, depth and developed/experienced depth seem to be lacking for tOSU. Is that the case from where you sit? If not, why not - if so, is there a 5 year plan to remedy this?

3) Will Logan Stieber take an Olympic red-shirt next season?

Miscellaneous:
1) The schedule is notably light this year. How do you decide how many matches the team will wrestle and generally go about the scheduling process?

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on January 3, 2011

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"6) Is it true that Mark Niemann was all but signed to Joe Heskett's vacant coaching position but then got far out of control in his mancrushing of wrestlers, so is now banned from Ohio State's campus by a restraining order?

"

Kudos to you, sir, if you are able to work that one into the interview. :)

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 3, 2011

I'm not sure this is a question that can be asked, but I'm sure most of the state is curious....

Coach Andrassy mentioned that he has tried to schedule OSU each of the past two seasons, but has not been able to. Coach Andrassy doesn't seem like a BSer, and he has a very fine team.

Is there a reason the KSU dual was removed from the schedule?

Don't tell Coach Ryan I asked!! I do think he's the right man for the job, and the team will be just fine.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 4, 2011

This Tuesday morning is a good one. Thanks for the laugh, Ben. I'll be waiting the response! ;-)

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 4, 2011

It's been almost 2 hours since this interview was to take place... WE WANT ANSWERS!!!!!! Why the secrecy???

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on January 4, 2011

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Do you feel like Iowa or Oklahoma State type success is possible at Ohio State?"

Is this rhetorical?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 4, 2011

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"It's been almost 2 hours since this interview was to take place... WE WANT ANSWERS!!!!!! Why the secrecy???"

Apparently this thing is taking a long time and won't be up until after the game. I'm deeply sorry.

As a consolation, and in anticipation of tonight's game, here is a video and article about Ohio State's Football and Wrestling tradition and relationship.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next