Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ransick's Rant 12/21/2010
Dan Ransick added to this discussion on December 21, 2010

- I'm glad that Tom Ryan has done the right thing and moved Sponseller back to 165. It had disaster written all over it to begin with. A wrestler that had not been below 160 in 4 years going down a weight like that is just way to much to ask. His trade mark as mentioned by Ben Golden is the high energy and he had none at 157 I'm just surprised it took this long to figure it out.

- Was the writing on the wall with Palmer and Jameson before coming to Ohio State? Both were incredible high school talents that seemed to have peaked earlier in their high school career. Both of their senior years were marred with bizzare matches and too close for comfort wins. Both have left the team and while that may allow for more recruits to come in it seems that Ohio State's top recruits are not panning out.

The numbers back it up of the wrestlers from recruited out of high school only one has become an All-American. Triggas took 8th. Too Ryan's credit he did maximize the potential of Palmer, Bergman, Humphries and the transfer Pucillo. However the core guys that were supposed to be the future of the team have not panned out.

This leads to the question when do you know not to go ahead and recruit a kid.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 21, 2010

My Rant: Just caught T. Fortune's (remember him?) semi match at Reno TOC on Flo, he got beat by the Arizona St 285. Got ridden out in the 2nd period. Good on his feet, not so great on bottom.

Don Bork added to this discussion on December 21, 2010

We don't need more of the "not so great on bottom" wrestlers. We must have been ridden for over a half hour by PSU. Without getting into names, this is a huge weakness with this squad. We had two, Palmer and Pucillo, that just graduated that could not be ridden. With Mikey on staff, perhaps he should be in charge of escape training.

The getting out on bottom is a problem that should be corrected by end of freshman year. If you are unable to do that you're going to have a hard time wrestling.

Pucillo and Palmer both were so explosive off bottom and would be out and back on their feet in no time.

I would love to see the development of wrestlers. Tom has done a great job with the guys and getting the program to where it belongs but I want to see guys consistently getting better.

I'm glad to see that Magrum is going down to 184 where he's a perfect fit. He was way undersized at 197 last year and this year. He'll be a much more natural fit there. I think that Ryan has realized the mistakes and is correcting them. I still think this season could produce 0 AA's but time will tell.

I am very excited about the future coming in with the recruits especially Garcia next year.

► Add to the Discussion