Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ironman Reflections
Ben Golden added to this discussion on December 15, 2010

Being primarily a college wrestling enthusiast, watching the recruits of wrestlers committed to Ohio schools was perhaps what excited me most about the Ironman. When I saw the brackets seeding Johnni Dijulius, Hunter Stieber, Cam Tessari, and Ian Miller all on top, I started counting the titles in my head. (Yes, I was excited for a lot of others as well, but those lie outside my point.) And things started out wonderfully. Dijulius, Stieber, and Miller were all dominant in their first few matches.

Dijulius started off with two pins and then demolished Alfredo Gray in a 16-2 romp that was one of the most impressive single match performances I watched. Stieber started off with two first period pins and then beat Nate Skonieczny by the one point that is about the highest margin of victory you can expect anyone to have against the Walsh Warrior this year. Miller collected a pin and a couple majors before downing super sophomore Eric Morris (who beat Jamie Clark as a freshman last year) 3-1.

It was in the 130-pound semifinals that reality began to force itself into my line of sight.

More...

http://www.buckeyewrestling.com/index.php?q=node/38402

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 15, 2010

That was a stellar read. Nice work.

Perhaps you're not half as bad as I'd like to think...

Matt Hall added to this discussion on December 15, 2010

Nice read... How about Chris Phillips! He has always had excellent technique especially on his feet. He now has a Dustin Kilgore/Nick Heflin like body to go with the technique. In his interview after the Ironman he also seemed less subdued and much more excited then in the past. It'll be fun to watch him for the rest of the season and beyond into his college career.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on December 16, 2010

Thanks for the feedback.

Obviously Phillips' bracket wasn't the toughest of the tournament, but he was dominant nonetheless. When you consider that, in the finals, he pretty much had the major after two periods and went into coast mode for most of the third period, it really shows his dominance. It will be so interesting to see what he does in college. NC State isn't a powerhouse, but the interview with Lee Pritts on Flo explains that they have some nice things going on and some good upperweight training partners for Chris.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 16, 2010

Ben: Nice summary. I like what you had to say about how some fabulous wrestlers of the last several years have been overlooked due to the presence of "transcendent talents" such as Dustin, David and Logan. That was a great point.

The Buckeyes have to be very pleased with their recruiting class. They have three #1 type guys in Courts, H. Stieber and Garcia plus Tessari and DiJulius are terrific in their own right. Kent should also be thrilled to have Ian Miller. He may be their most highly regarded recruit since Kilgore.

Chris Phillips decision to attend NC State seemed a head scratcher at first but that's because of how the landscape has changed. It used to be that studs went all over the place. But over the last ten years, we've gotten used to the very top talents usually choosing one of about a dozen or so "name" programs. Phillips is not only a wondrous performer but he appears to be very much his own man when it comes to making decisions. I give him credit for doing what he felt was in his best interest as opposed to taking the road more frequently traveled. It would have been great to see him at an Ohio school but I remain a fan.

Hunter Stieber's first period ankle pick looked straight out of the J. Jaggers play book. If any recruit seems perfect to become a Jaggers protege, it's Hunter.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 16, 2010

good observations Ben--- noteworthy to me:

...the 2nd round day one, Friday night, was imo the toughest round 2 round we've ever had, many high seeds barely escaped. A tribute to the tourn depth.

...the team race, FACT is over the last decade and a half--- the Blair Decade --- the ONLY place they are ever challenged as a team is when they cross into Ohio, either to dual st Eds or SPG, or in the Ironman.

...st Eds poor showing on day 2, NO SEMI finalists for the first time in history. On day 2 st Eds scored a mere 19 points and ended up with only 3 lower placers.

...St EDs will be a very strong team by January, they will challenge Blair in the dual here and SPG down there. But this was humbling for the dynasty that has been st Eds for over 3 decades.

...Brian Brakeman broadcasting for Cable 9 was not happy, only 2 PD area kids in finals, Tomasello and DiCamillo. Plenty of Ohioans but not from the PD area.

...college coaches continue to show up in droves, Rob Koll & asst Damion Hahn of # 1 Cornell were here both days and Cael Sanderson was here on day 2, among others. s/BobP

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 16, 2010

Re: College coaches... Who is Cael Sanderson? ;-)

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on December 16, 2010

You gotta love little div 3 Monroevile finishing ahead of Eds and Wadsworth !

I may have just not seen them for the entire weekend despite looking for them, but am I right that the Ohio State coaches weren't there? Seems like a pretty head-scratching no show to me.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 16, 2010

Ben,
Ohio st was definitely there, on day two i spoke to coaches Rosselli and Jaggers, on day one i saw Tom Ryan. The place was crawling with college coaches.

the buckeyes are after several Juniors they saw in the Ironman --and down the line SOPHS too im guessing-- of the 6 or 7 best sophs in nation at least 5 of the best sophs were there:
130 Whitford of IL and Jeske of VA
140 Eric Morris of PA
145 Bo Jordan
285 Brooks Black of Blair

Glad to hear it, Bob. I saw a lot of coaches, I just didn't see any of them.

Brooks Black would be an awesome snag. A Blair guy who is having such success as a sophomore at heavyweight will be a great recruit for someone.

► Add to the Discussion