Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Did Ohio State miss on Derek Foore?
Mike Codian added to this discussion on November 10, 2010

At the end of the day as all coache's say see you soon . Coach Flynn made a joke to Tom Ryan and said I can understand how I missed going after Foore but no way do you have any excuse not to have him . Coach Ryan said he did go after him

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on November 10, 2010

Derek Foore is an awesome wrestler, there's no doubt about it -- but no coach (not even Tom Ryan) can get every top recruit, transfer, etc. in the state of Ohio. He got Stieber, Stieber, Tessari, Garcia, Courts, Demas, and many more from just last year and this year's classes. What more can one want? Let me put it this way: Penn State had a down year last year but everyone thinks they're going to be incredible in the very recent future. Success is cyclical in sports. The Buckeyes will be back at/near the top of the standings at the NCAA tournament very soon.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 10, 2010

I'm not usually one to defend Ohio State, but thinking back, Foore was a 3X runner-up, losing each time to Nemec. Coach Ryan did get Nemec. There was simply no indication that Foore would turn out to be a better college wrestler then Nemec. 99.9% of college coaches would have taken Nemec over Foore that year.

That being said, it's clear that Foore has blossomed at Notre Dame and has DI level skills.

I don't, however, agree with Dan that success is cyclical in sports. I guess I agree that it is, but not that it has to be. In a great high school wrestling state like Ohio, it shouldn't be cyclical. Great in-state talent should be flowing into Ohio State every year. Coach Ryan has got some great wrestlers to come to tOSU, but he's missed out on quite a few as well. Names like Jessie Dong, Dustin Kilgore, Chris Honeycutt, Jedd Moore, Zach Neibert, Ben Jordan, David Taylor...Straughn, Pelton, Foore, Scales and the rest of the Notre Dame horses. Can he get them all? No. Does he need to get much more than he has so far if he wants tOSU to be a consistent contender? Yes.

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on November 11, 2010

Not sure many people would have projected Foore as a 197 either. He is clearly a different wrestler than he was in 2006-2007.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 11, 2010

Just a reminder... Tom Ryan - or ANY coach for that matter - could offer his state's #1 high school wrestler (or even the top 5 nationally ranked wrestlers) EVERYTHING under the sun, within NCAA rules of course, and the kid could still say no.

If Johnny Appleseed was a 4x state champ out of Philidelphia, PA, he is not obligated to go to the closest college or university to his home, nor is it mandatory that he attend the most successful college or university closest to his home or high school. And that is in light of ALL that is offered to him by all recruiting involved.

What that kid could/should do is find the right fit for him!!! And sometimes that fit isn't the "obvious" or "most popular" choice.

And with this in mind, it is NOT a reflection on the coach's inability, but rather the kid's desire to follow his dreams.

► Add to the Discussion