Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: My thoughts on the Buckeye wrestling weekend
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 8, 2010

125 - Not much to think about, except that it would have been fun seeing Logan Stieber pick up bonus points in every match at the UB Open.

133 - Paddock is a stud, right now. Nice, dominate win over a ranked opponent in the finals.

141 - Languis, Samaria and Grandomico combined to go 1-3 in the championship bracket. While Languis picked up 4 wins in the consis, he didn’t place. Unless Collin Palmer comes back, healthy, this is going to be a problem weight for OSU this year.

149 - The most disappointing wrestler of the weekend has to be Nemec. Losing to Pelton is understandable, but not acceptable. Losing to Habat isn’t even understandable. Bruewer, Fee and Gordon combined to go 3-7. Poor.

157 - Colt won the tourney, and picked up a pin and tech early. Would have liked a little more dominance, but he may still be adjusting to the weight. Foley won his first match and then defaulted out. Demas was a nice surprise at the Hokie Open, picking up a couple championship bracket wins and then taking a 4-1 lead on Matt Cathell before getting pinned. He was pinned twice, but I can live with that as a true frosh. He showed some potential, and if he can be healthy at 157, that fixes a lineup hole I was expecting next year.

165 - Kusar lost to two NDC wrestlers, which is atrocious. Not to be outdone, Tank lost to one and then defaulted out. I am officially worried about this weight class.

174 - On the other hand, I like seeing Heflin in the finals. However, winning the last two by injury default takes some of the glare away. Looking forward to seeing him progress this season.

184 - Capone got smoked by the eventual champ, however, he bounced back nicely to take third in a small weight class. I can’t draw much from this performance, and I look forward to seeing Capone again.

197 - Magrum won a couple nice matches, and then ran into Foore, who is a beast. Opening win was over the 3rd place finisher, Jontony wasn’t bad, winning a couple matches, and Ackerman won some as well.

285 - Stolarsky took a beating from Scales, but so did everyone else. Came back to take 4th. Would have liked to see Hiles compete.

Up next: Buckeye Duals featuring Pittsburgh and Nebraska. Pitt opened up at the Clarion Open, and had a nice outing, with 6 champs. However, I want to see their duals with Lehigh and tsun before making an official prediction. However, my current prediction is:

125 - Stieber with bonus;
133 - Paddock, possibly bonus;
141 - Nauman (Pitt) by pin;
149 - Johnson (Pitt) by dec;
157 - Sponseller by major;
165 - Counterman (Pitt) by dec;
174 - Headlee (Pitt) by dec;
184 - Thomusseitt (Pitt) by dec;
197 - Magrum by dec;
285 - Tomei (Pitt) by dec;

This match looks to come down to 149 and 174. Right now I have Pitt winning both. If OSU can swing one, then they can win, as I see them getting bonus points at 2-3 weights. If OSU sweeps both, they definitely win.

Nebraska doesn’t wrestle until the Duals, so it will be more difficult to give a prediction.

GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 10, 2010

Jason: Good analysis. I give you a lot of credit for your candor. I remain disappointed at the Buckeyes inability to develop depth.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 10, 2010

Certainly some questions to be answered:
Will Palmer be healthy enough after a bout with staph and a bad back? Will Nemec adjust to the new weight (heard he had some cramping issues last week)? I remember last year it took Jaggers awhile to finally get comfortable with his weight. Will Jameson return this year? and if so, healthy enough to be effective? Would they pull Demas out of redshirt? Will Hiles be competitive this year?
Right now, I think Heflin will be a pleasant surprise. He has top position skills that can make the difference in a match. BTW he was winning his semi's match before the default took place; not sure what went on in the finals default?? Also, I thought 141 Languis looked pretty good, made a few mistakes but also did a lot of nice stuff on his feet. He can be competitive with the avg. opponent.

► Add to the Discussion