Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Orry Elor (JN and CN GR champ) to Ohio State -- big news at 285
Josh Lowe added to this discussion on November 4, 2010

... per the InterMat commits ticker.

Also beat Kuhar for third place at FILA Cadet FS this past spring.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Orry Elor (JN and CN GR champ) to Ohio State -- big news at 285
Roe Fox added to this discussion on November 5, 2010

Anyone have anymore info?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 5, 2010

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Anyone have anymore info?"

Voila!

http://www.buckeyewrestling.com/index.php?q=node/37592

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 5, 2010

Looks like a kid with a lot of upside. I like his passion for the sport as well as his academic prowess.

If Orly develops, the Bucks have really set themselves up nicely in the upperwts with him and Courts.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 5, 2010

Somewhat off topic, but...

Is there a reason OSU faithful are down on Hiles? He was considered a solid recruit coming out of HS and has been in there room for a couple years now. As a fan, I think he will have a solid season.

Prediction - he will be a top 20 285 this season with considerable opportunity for improvement once a full time starter.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 5, 2010

I could be wrong on this, Ethan, but my guess is that were not so much down on Hiles as we are enjoying the recruits we are getting.

Example: I hear a good number of people talking about DiJulius and Hunter Stieber, but I don't think that these are negatives on Triggas, Paddock or C. Palmer.

Consider also that we have amassed quite the recruiting class for next year so and with that in mind, we type while "riding this wave".

Last edited by Mark Niemann on November 5, 2010; edited 1 time in total

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 5, 2010

Mark - that's a logical explanation, thanks. I have just heard a lot of people saying that OSU is hurting at heavy. I would tend to disagree with that mindset.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 5, 2010

Perhaps it is on Hiles, but it could also be on talented (~proven~) depth. Maybe accomplished is a good/better word than talented or even proven.

Don Bork added to this discussion on November 5, 2010

Remember, Hiles burned a year of eligibility last season, unable to beat out Morrison, who was steady, but unspectacular. I think that is why most buckeye followers consider 285 to be one of our two or three weakest weights going into the season. Hiles, like a couple other expected starters, is still largely unproven at this level.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 5, 2010

Ohio State has struggled at 285 since Tom Rowlands graduated. Kirk Nail was a surprise AA but injuries dimmed his career. Bergman filled the weight brilliantly but only for one season. Morrison was a pumped up 200 pounder who manned the spot admirably given his obvious size limitations (both height and weight). Remember, Hiles couldn't beat him out nor could Jesse Campbell and others that have come and gone.

Is it possible that an improved Hiles will kick tail this year and prove me wrong? Absolutely--and I hope that is the case.

But it is odd that a program with so many skilled big men on premises--Bergman, Dlagnev, Rowlands--has had trouble finding an athletic big man with the raw talent to become something special. Let's hope Orry is the answer to this conundrum.

Last edited by Hank Kornblut on November 5, 2010; edited 1 time in total

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on November 5, 2010

There was only one video of Orry on Flo, his GR finals match. There wasn't that much to see as is, attempting some tie-ups, nothing ever came of it. He wasn't turned at the end of this first period, won that. The second period ended up going to the mat again where he turned his opponent.

He has a folkstyle match on youtube. He tied up quite a bit, but wasn't able to generate any offense off of that. I'm very curious to see how we'll develop him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGOM_T8n8DE

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on November 5, 2010

Hile seems to be a fringe top 20 type at 285 right now, you can argue more or less. Either way, there is not a viable backup in the room right now that could compete on the DI level. Therefore, the need for a legit DI starting caliber 285 in this class was clear.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on November 8, 2010

Josh: In your opinion does this answer that need?

► Add to the Discussion