Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Super32: Felipe Goes Down
Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 31, 2010

To be frank, he looked pretty out of shape, lacked his usual explosiveness, and looked like he might be better sorted for 145.

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/237445-2010-super-32-flonationals-major/362557-152-lbs-quarter-finals-felipe-martinez-oh-vs-jonatan-rivera-ga

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 31, 2010

Also, like someone said in the OSU recruiting thread, Kenny Courts also has a video on Flo. He got a looot of tilt points. He also looked pretty good sized (at least compared to the other guy).

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on October 31, 2010

Yeah I thought Courts looked great. I cant wait til he is a Buckeye.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 31, 2010

He won the final 14-1. Want to see the video when they post. Yea, he definitely looked like a 189 lber. And he still has a year to grow.

Don Bork added to this discussion on October 31, 2010

Two with the redshirt.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on November 1, 2010

To be fair, there was no one in the 189 weight class that was really expected to match up with Courts. Given that being the case, dominance was what was expected -- and dominance is what was delivered in all phases of his arsenal (neutral, riding, turns).

Looking at Felipe, I would say he was out of sorts. However, it just goes to show you that there's a lot of talent out there. The Rivera kid that he lost to on the front side is physically gifted as heck, and Glass is a solid wrestler too.

Are those kids Felipe "should" lose to? No. Can it happen? It did. Whether he's on weight or off weight, the matches happened and have to be acknowledged for the time being.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 1, 2010

Quote from Josh Lowe's post:

"...

Looking at Felipe, I would say he was out of sorts. However, it just goes to show you that there's a lot of talent out there. The Rivera kid that he lost to on the front side is physically gifted as heck, and Glass is a solid wrestler too.

Are those kids Felipe "should" lose to? No. Can it happen? It did. Whether he's on weight or off weight, the matches happened and have to be acknowledged for the time being."

Echo...

Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 1, 2010

It will be interesting to see what you do with your recruiting rankings, given that your #1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 all lost this weekend.

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on November 1, 2010

I just got done watching Courts final video. This kid is a Beast and I look for a great future.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on November 1, 2010

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"It will be interesting to see what you do with your recruiting rankings, given that your #1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 all lost this weekend."

Don't know. That goes behind weight class and team on the priority list. I'm thinking Massa stays, given that his "loss" was controversial - watch the overtime against Wiercioch on Flo.

It's starting to grow that tenor of this year's senior class ... anyone want to rise to the top?

Bill Splete added to this discussion on November 2, 2010

It is interesting to see Felipe not in a Graham uniform, but that is how it is. I try to make a point of not commenting on a kid so young and when he has taken one on the chin. But what I can say is I am not worried about Felipe. To me it was early in the year and he will be fine, it is not mid season, and when it is, he will shine. If any one knows me i don't just give out compliments, but this kid is the real deal and once he settles into his weight class and reaches his peak conditioning he will be very difficult to beat. We have had a great run in wrestling of late, and he is a continuation of that talent pool, I think I saw Scott Burnett in his corner, and if that is the case, i have a great deal of confidence in were he will be.

► Add to the Discussion