Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio State Recruiting Outlook
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on October 30, 2010

Overall, I looked only at wrestlers with 3 or more years of eligibility remaining. Juniors and seniors have already been accounted for in the 2011 recruiting class, which is all but finished. The 2012 class and beyond were my focus.

Who they have: Logan Stieber (Fr.), Drew Stone (Fr.), Darin Heavilin (Fr.), Josh Whitt (RFr.), Steve Ruthen (So.)

What they need: Nothing immediately, as Stieber looks to lock this weight down for this year, take a RS (Triggas finishes his career), and then Stieber for 3 more. I would be looking at the current HS Sophs and Frosh as the next recruits to put a lot of time and effort in for this weight.

Priority: On a scale of 1-10, this is the lowest priority class, so I call this one a 1.

Who they have: Ian Paddock (So.), Johnny DiJulius (HS Sr.)

What they need: Again, nothing immediately, as Paddock and DiJulius should have this weight covered for the next 6 years. Obviously you never turn down a true stud, but I wouldn’t put as high a priority on this weight for at least a couple of years.

Priority:

Who they have: Randy Languis (Fr.), Alex Gordon (Fr.), Joe Grandominico (Fr.), Collin Palmer (RFr.), Cam Tessari (HS Sr.), Hunter Stieber (HS Sr.)

What they need: Again, this one is taken care of. Between Palmer, Tessari and Stieber, someone who has won four state titles will be at this class over the next 6 years. If Spearman fits here and wants to be a Buckeye you take him, but there are definitely other weights which need more attention.

Priority:

Who they have: Brett Benedict (Fr.), Joe Bruewer (Fr.), Mike Fee (RFr.), Cam Tessari (HS Sr.), Hunter Stieber (HS Sr.)

What they need: Depth. With the only two future wrestlers at this weight currently in high school, and neither being a lock for this class (Stieber could be a 141 and Tessari at 157), this class definitely needs some attention.

Priority:

Who they have: Josh Demas (Fr.), Cam Tessari (HS Sr.)

What they need: A lot, as I don’t know if either wrestler listed will be at this weight. A true stud is needed, immediately. Martinez would be perfect, and I would put the full court press on him for next year.

Priority:

Who they have: Tony Jameson (RSo.), Kirk Tank (RSo.), Josh Demas (HS Sr.), Derek Garcia (HS Sr.)

What they need: Not a ton. Even if Jameson is done, as has been rumored, between Garcia and Demas, the Bucks are in good shape for the next 5 years. Tank is solid depth, so this is a low priority weight.

Priority:

Who they have: Nick Heflin (RFr.), Josh Demas (HS Sr.), Derek Garcia (HS Sr.), Kenny Courts (HS Sr.)

What they need: Nothing. Heflin is here for the next 4 years and either Garcia or Demas is a more than capable backup. Courts end up at 184.

Priority:

Who they have: Ray Gordon (Fr.), Peter Capone (RFr.), Kenny Courts (HS Sr.)

What they need: Depth. Capone is a stop gap and Courts is the future, but with his past medical issues, you need another high end wrestler at this weight.

Priority:

Who they have: Max Gladstone (Fr.), Mike Ackerman (Fr.), Colton Bowers (So.), C.J. Magrum (RSo.), Dominic Jontony (RSo.)

What they need: Another top end wrestler. Magrum has a couple more years, and I am intrigued by Gladstone, but this is a weight that they could use someone to come in, ready to compete. Magrum would be at least a junior before anyone got here, so a 2012 recruit is almost a must.

Who they have: Johnny Hiles (RSo.)

What they need: A ton. When Tyrell Fortune verballed to Ohio State, I thought this weight was saved, but, with reports that he may not make it, an immediate upgrade is needed. Kuhar would be great, but, he is only a junior, and I would hate to see OSU wait, unless I am way wrong on my opinion of Hiles.

Priority:
1. 157 - No one here
2. 285 - No depth, and not a great starter
3. 184 - A stud coming in, but injury concerns
4. 197 - A solid starter, but no one behind him
5. 165 - A couple of young options, but nothing proven
6. 149 - Same as 165, lots of potential
7. 133 - Depth pushes this up some, not sure how long Paddock stays here
8. 174 - Young starter, recruits coming in that could be here
9. 141 - Lots of options
10. 125 - Stieber, nuff said

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 30, 2010

Not a bad rundown. Is Gladstone really a 97, though? Isn't he like 6-5? Definitely looked like a heavyweight frame to me.

Their future looks great, but they are going to be a very young team for the next 2-3 years.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 31, 2010

I see Kenny Courts is in the final 8 in the Super 32 at 189 lbs. I hope they get some video of his matches on Flo. I would think if he makes it to the semi's there is a good chance they will be video taping it.

BTW I just saw his quarterfinals match on Flo. Quick on his feet, rides tough always looking for the tilt. Check out Lance Palmer & Jaggers watching the match in the background.

► Add to the Discussion