Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio State Season Outlook
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on October 29, 2010

125: Projected Starter - Logan Stieber (Fr.)
For the first time in his life, Logan Stieber is actually underrated. Quite frankly, I will be surprised if Stieber loses to anyone other than McDonough or Precin next year. I see Stieber as finishing top 3 in both the Big Ten tourney and at Nationals. He already owns a head to head wins over Sanders, and has outplaced him at every tourney they have entered together. Quiroga is good, but not Stieber level.

133: Projected Starter - Ian Paddock (So.)
Paddock progressed nicely as a true frosh last year, finishing with a respectable showing at nationals. He should be in contention for a top 12 or AA finish, although there are a lot of quality returning wrestlers and newcomers. I would expect a top 4 or 5 finish at Big Tens, and 3-4 wins at the NCAA tourney.

141: Projected Starter - Randy Languis (Fr.) or Collin Palmer (RFr.)
From all of the reports, there may not be much of a difference between these two at the present time. Palmer is clearly the more acclaimed of the two, however, his injuries and outside circumstances did not permit him to wrestle much last year. If Palmer were 100% healthy, I would expect a 5-6 finish at Big Tens and about 3 wins at the NCAA tourney. However, given that he didn’t wrestle off for the weight, I doubt he is 100%. OSU will be lucky to get a qualifier out of this weight, and, quite frankly, with their schedule, double digit wins will be difficult.

149: Projected Starter - Sean Nemec (RJr.)
Based on his high school accomplishments and his recruiting ranking, Nemec has been an underachiever through 3 years. Maybe the weight cut will help him, but he has lacked aggressiveness on his feet and has been terrible on the mat. I am hoping for an improvement, but not expecting it. Probably an NCAA qualifier, lucky to win a match or two.

157: Projected Starter - Colt Sponseller (Sr.)
Another underachiever, having failed to achieve AA status despite multiple wins over AA wrestlers. I am one who believes that the weight cut will help Colt, as he struggled mightily on the mat against brute strength wrestlers. Having run a marathon, I am positive the weight cut was done in a way that will not affect his strength, and maintenance shouldn’t be an issue. I see Colt finally achieving that AA status, and having a legitimate shot at a title.

165: Projected Starter - Jared Kusar (RJr.)
Kusar is listed as a 157 pounder, and wrestled 149 last year as well. He will be drastically undersized for the weight, and I don’t expect much. Another weight where double digit wins will be a surprise.

174: Projected Starter - Nick Heflin (RFr.)
Another wrestler who is underrated and overlooked coming into the season, I see Heflin surprising some people and finishing top 5 at Big Tens and winning 3 matches, or more, at the NCAA tourney. Will be a solid starter for four years at OSU, and I think a multiple AA.

184: Projected Starter - Peter Capone (RFr.)
Not expecting much out of this weight, Capone is serviceable, but another weight where a talent upgrade is needed. Again, I will be surprised to see double digit wins out of this weight class.

197: Projected Starter - C.J. Magrum (RSo.)
Magrum surprised a lot of people, including me, with his performance at Nationals last year. Assuming he has grown into the weight, he should improve by leaps and bounds this year. Magrum struggled with the strength he saw at this weight class, and another year in the weight room should only help. I see a top 4-5 finish at Big Tens and possibly an R12 finish at nationals.

285: Projected Starter - John Hiles (RSo.)
Always overhyped, Hiles has yet to live up to his reputation. Quite frankly, I would be happy if he had a winning record this year. May qualify for nationals, but would be lucky to win a match or two.

Team: As many as four weights (141, 165, 184, 285) will struggle to finish with winning records. Ohio State has four solid qualifiers (125, 133, 157 and 197), with the other two (149 and 174) being likely, in my opinion. Will probably finish in 5-6 in the Big Tens, 8-12 at nationals. There will be bright spots individually, but a poor dual record. The future is bright, but, quite frankly, 2012-13 is the year to look forward to.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 29, 2010

The thing I like about Stieber is, he's already wrestled guys like Escobedo, Hazewinkel, Blanc, Felix, Precin and held his own. What hasn't he already seen? Nothing. Only a freshman, but with tons of experience at an early age. No "deer in the headlights" for this kid when he steps out onto a college mat!

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on October 29, 2010

I may be naive, but the only person I can see beating Stieber is McDonough.

McDonough was a legit champ, beat all comers throughout the season and has length that is rare at the weight. He can get in on the legs from everywhere. Plus, let's be honest, he seems like the typical Iowa kid who thrives under pressure and pushes pace for 7 minutes.

That said, I would not be suprised if Logan beat him.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 29, 2010

Well, barring injuries, they could meet several times this year. Will they be the next Metcalf-Palmer rivalry?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 29, 2010

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

" Will they be the next Metcalf-Palmer rivalry?"

For record's sake, I hope not.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on October 29, 2010

I wonder if McDonough will be able to handle 125 well. He is quite tall and I heard rumors that he might even jump up a weight class. Plus, I'm a big believer that most college wrestlers, especially at the lower weights, gain weight. I can't count that many that have been able to remain at 125 for more than 2 years.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on October 30, 2010

I'm lookong forward to seeing Colt and David Taylor go at it!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 30, 2010

"I may be naive, but the only person I can see beating Stieber is McDonough." ---

Precin of Northwestern handled Stieber at World Trials, Precin at 125 again, don't overlook, hes very tough.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 30, 2010

I thought Precin had Escobedo beat in OT two years ago in NCAA quarters, that guy is tough. He had a slight let up in intensity when Escobedo injured his shoulder and it cost him. That being said evolution is not a static thing, rather dynamic and can account for two steps forward or one step back.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 30, 2010

Precin DID beat Escobedo two years ago, but it was in the consolations, 3-0. Precin ended up taking 3rd.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 30, 2010

Alright you made me actually look up a result. I remember watching it on ESPNU. Taken off NUsports website,
2007-08: Earned first-career All-America honor with seventh-place finish at NCAA Championships ... Finished year with 37-9 record ... Went 13-3 in duals and 5-3 in Big Ten ... Posted 4-2 mark at NCAA Championships ... Scored win over Cornell's Mike Rodriguez to advance to second round ... Defeated Penn's ninth-seeded Rollie Peterkin to advance to quarterfinals ... Took top seed and eventual champion Angel Escobedo of Indiana to the wire, falling in second overtime by riding time ... Defeated Bloomsburg's seventh-seeded Michael Sees and Old Dominion's 10th-seeded Jared Nicholson in consolation bracket ... Finished seventh at Big Ten Championships with 3-2 record ... Started season with 21 straight wins ... Tournament wins at Eastern Michigan Open, Michigan State Open and Missouri Open ... Finished second at Midlands Championships ... Defeated top-seeded Nick Simmons in Midlands semifinals ... Posted four wins at National Duals with only loss coming to then-top-ranked Paul Donahoe of Nebraska ... Three of his losses came to Indiana's Escobedo ... Notched two wins over eventual third-place finisher Mark McKnight of Penn State ... Pinned NCAA qualifier Colin Cudd of Wisconsin in dual match.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 30, 2010

Oh... Well we're talking about different years. In his last NCAAs, 2009, Precin took third, with his only loss coming to Robles--which he avenged in the consos. Robles got ahold of him on top and started up his rolling thing, and Precin had no answer. He found the answer in the consolation finals, after beating Esco to get there.

http://wrestlingstats.com/NCAA/pdf/brackets/NCAA%202009.pdf

► Add to the Discussion