Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Next for Ohio State Recruiting??
Damon Schreiber added to this discussion on October 26, 2010

With the two big fish off the board and almost everyone saying no Phillips for the sacrlet and grey, where do they go next? I'm guessing no one new in the early signing period, unless they make a push for Tanner Hall? Do they start hard on Martinez, Spearman, Luster, and Tavanello for next year? Any thoughts??

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 26, 2010

Quote from Damon Schreiber's post:

"With the two big fish off the board and almost everyone saying no Phillips for the sacrlet and grey, where do they go next? I'm guessing no one new in the early signing period, unless they make a push for Tanner Hall? Do they start hard on Martinez, Spearman, Luster, and Tavanello for next year? Any thoughts??"

Tavanello would be awesome. So would the others, I just single him out because of his weight.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on October 26, 2010

I'm really hoping that Ohio State starts in on St. Paris Graham soon. They are the school that is churning out the big-time talent right now and such. Granted, there are some who feel that St. Paris Graham has yet to prove they can put out great college talent when few of their recent wrestlers (who have wrestled at SPG for 4 years) have made All-American, but I think it's only a matter of time. I don't know who they'd target first out of SPG, but I hope it's someone soon.

Those AA finishes are going to start rolling in this year and not stop for a while. Sadly, it appears that Va. Tech has managed to start a bit of a pipeline.

Matt and Brian Stephens, Brascetta, Neibert...

I still feel like Wisconsin kind of has their hand in the SPG cookie jar too, the Jordans went there, Ben Jordon is now going there. Maybe it's only with the Jordans and none of the other recruits...who knows. But Ohio State needs to get there sooner than later.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 26, 2010

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Tavanello would be awesome. So would the others, I just single him out because of his weight."

I think Tavanello is a great talent, but he seems to me (and I could be totally wrong here) like a true 215. Is he a 197 in college or a heavyweight? If he drops to 197, where do you take 20 pounds off that kid? If he goes heavyweight, he'll be undersized. Does he have the quicks to compensate?

Quote from Nicholas Sestito's post:

"I still feel like Wisconsin kind of has their hand in the SPG cookie jar too, the Jordans went there, Ben Jordon is now going there. Maybe it's only with the Jordans and none of the other recruits...who knows. But Ohio State needs to get there sooner than later."

Didn't the late Aaron Hart go there as well?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 26, 2010

Aaron Hart did attend Wisconsin. Not sure if he ever wrestled outside of the wrestle off. I think I remember watching a video of their wrestle offs on youtube or something like that.

That's right, my mistake.

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

I think Tavanello is a great talent, but he seems to me (and I could be totally wrong here) like a true 215. Is he a 197 in college or a heavyweight? If he drops to 197, where do you take 20 pounds off that kid? If he goes heavyweight, he'll be undersized. Does he have the quicks to compensate?"

I actually think most of the heavyweight AA's from last year were in the 220-240 range, so with some lifting I think a guy like him could compete. But 215 does kind of get screwed by the college weight system. Actually I think it's college's fault--the olympic weigh is 211 pounds. If the lower level and the higher level are right around that weight, why not have a college weight around there?

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on October 26, 2010

Really don't think Tavanello is OSU material, just my opinion of course. Wrong body type to gain too much weight, and no real high profile wins.

They need to focus on the upper weights, specifically heavy, in the next recruiting class, as they have plenty of studs in the lower and even middle weights.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 26, 2010

There's a school in Lakewood, Ohio that has a pretty fair history of producing D1 wrestling talent. St Teds or Eddies or something like that. Maybe one of you can fill in the name?

Eds wrestlers are prepared in every sense. They know how to train. They're more likely to stick with a program. And they're usually good students. Plus they have probably produced more D1 AA's over the last 30 years than the rest of the state combined (slight exaggeration but not too far from accurate).

Eds has a bunch of good young talent currently in their room including a 215 (Ty Walz) and 285 (Greg Kuhar) that both just won national titles in Fargo. Dom Abounader, Mark Martin, Dean Heil, Edgar Bright...all will win a few state titles in the years to come.

Tom Ryan needs to live, breathe and eat St Eds wrestlers for the next several years.

Unless Logan Stieber has been cloned repeatedly, Eds is where you start your recruiting.

And I think that Tom Ryan and staff should continue to pursue St. Eds because they are still a powerhouse, but right now St. Paris Graham is the top wrestling school in the state and we should put our foot in the door and nab recruits. Between those two schools you can field a college team with premier talent as we see these two schools vie for being in the top 10 in the nationa, annually.

Agreed, Tom Ryan and staff should continue to pursue St. Eds because they are still a powerhouse, but right now St. Paris Graham is the top wrestling school in the state and we should put our foot in the door and nab recruits. Between those two schools you can field a college team with premier talent as we see these two schools vie for being in the top 10 in the nationa, annually.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 26, 2010

Felipe Martinez is entered in Super 32 at 152. Could he grow into a 157/165 in college?

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on October 27, 2010

The 230/240 types that AA in college are a different frame type that Tavanello though. Those are bigger frame kids (ie- J.D. Bergman) that have filled out as opposed to a stockier type of build, which is where Tavanello fits.

I am unsure what type of frame Tanner Hall is, but as a 215 in Fargo coming of a 189 in-season, the question about where he fits is always in play.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next