Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Kent State University: Line up questions, Wrestle-offs, etc.
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on October 22, 2010

Kent has solid depth. I notice according to this release, Shuster and Cathell are both wrestling off at 57. Is Shuster planning to drop?

They also discussed Kilgore at 97 and Witt at 84. Is this permanent?

KENT, Ohio - With a dual meet against perennial power Iowa State just two weeks away, the Kent State grapplers will determine its starting lineup Sunday with wrestle-offs at the M.A.C. Center. Action begins at 9 a.m., followed by the Golden Flash Classic youth tournament.

A number of weights will have multiple Golden Flashes competing for a starting nod, including five wrestlers at both 149 and 157.

149 Junior Marcel Clopton, who went 3-1 in dual meets last season, will await the winner of true freshman Andrew Candiello versus sophomore Drew Leonard. In the other half of the 149-pound bracket, sophomore Tommy Sasfy will take on redshirt freshman T.J. Keklak.

157 Redshirt freshman Drew Howard will battle true freshman Andrew Hollern for the right to wrestle 2009 NCAA qualifier Matt Cathell. The opposite half of 157 will feature senior Sli Bostelman (43 career wins) against sophomore Mallie Shuster, who went 24-13 last season.

165 Redshirt freshman Ethan Taylor will challenge incumbent Ross Tice for a starting spot. Tice, a junior, went 28-14 last season with a runner-up finish at the MAC Championships.

174 Fifth-year senior Chris Estep looks to reclaim his starting spot from the 2008-09 season, but will have to get past redshirt freshman Brandonn Johnson, who went 21-6 at open tournaments last year.

184 Sophomore Keith Witt moves up a weight to start the season, following a runer-up finish at the MAC Tournament and an appearance in the NCAA Championships. Witt will be tested by classmate Casey Newburg, who went 18-12 last season.

197 Like Witt, junior Dustin Kilgore moves up a weight to start the year. The 2010 All-American will take on the winner of senior Joe Tymoszczuk versus junior Ryan Buckner. Tymoszczuk was 4-0 at heavyweight in duals last season, while Buckner finished 12-11.

285 True freshman Tyler Obringer will challenge 2010 MAC champion Brendan Barlow. Obringer brings a size advantage against the incumbent junior, who owns 62 career wins.

125 Sophomore Stevie Mitcheff was slated to challenge 2009 All-American Nic Bedelyon, but a minor injury may postpone the matchup.

133 A pair of true freshmen, Tyler Small and Jake McCombs will square off for the right to face sophomore Sean Collins. Small, a 2010 Pennsylvania state champion, could the surprise of the freshman class, while Collins has continued to improve entering his third season with the program.

141 Incumbent Chase Skonieczny went 21-17 as a redshirt freshman last season. He will take on true freshman Jacob Mellinger.

The Golden Flashes’ first official competition will take place in Salem, Va. on Nov. 6, with dual meets against Chattanooga and Iowa State. The Cyclones were ranked No. 2 in the final 2009-10 NWCA Coaches Poll, while Kent State was No. 16.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Grant Varnum added to this discussion on October 23, 2010

looks like a lot of good comp...great to see...

one question? i don't see Cogar in the lineup, or in the roster...everything okay, i hope?

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on October 23, 2010

Quote from Grant Varnum's post:

"looks like a lot of good comp...great to see...

one question? I don't see Cogar in the lineup, or in the roster...everything okay, I hope?"

Per a post on Yappi he has 'retired' from the sport.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 23, 2010

157 should be a battle. 3 guys with previous D1 success. If healthy and in the right frame of mind, Cathell would seem to be the favorite. I thought there was talk of Schuster moving down to 149. Is this a future possibility?

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on October 23, 2010

I agree Scott, quite a battle at 57. I think this is always one of the toughest issues for any staff: to start the wrestler who may win in the room, or the wrestler who seems to have better long term upside.

I am a big fan of Shuster. He had a tough end to last season, but he had a great season otherwise. If he loses a close wrestle-off to Cathell, it would be tough to keep him out of the line up simply for the long term potential.

In addition, Shuster seems to never miss a match, and in fact wrestled over 40 matches as a RS.

Anyway, this all may be moot if one of them plans to drop. And it's a good problem to have in any room.

Grant Varnum added to this discussion on October 24, 2010

thanks for the heads up on Adam. although ya never wanna see the good ones hang it up as, he was always a fun one to watch, you have to respect the decisions of guys that put in the time/effort to excel as he did in this sport...wish him all the best...and continued success to the KSU program!!!

Zebulin Miller added to this discussion on October 25, 2010

http://www.gohiocasts.com/event/main/show/id/237766-Blue-VS-Gold-KSU-2010-GOhioCasts

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 25, 2010

Quote from Zebulin Miller's post:

"http://www.gohiocasts.com/event/main/show/id/237766-Blue-VS-Gold-KSU-2010-GOhioCasts"

Not the worst coverage I've seen. Just razzin', coach. I enjoyed meeting you over the weekend.

Go Flashes and Go THEE Groveport Madison CRUISERS!!!

ps: The man said fart 4 times in 10 minutes. That's funny. I don't care who you are!

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on October 25, 2010

Newburg looks very good, he will suprise a lot of people this season.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 25, 2010

I'm proud of Marcel Clopton. I watched him a lot in high school and he was always a blue collar grinder type of competitor. What he lacked in slickness, he made up for in toughness and sheer desire. In the Shaker practice room, he worked about twice as hard as everybody else.

It's very hard to stick with college wrestling when you're working your butt off and not starting. This is his 4th season and it appears he's going to be the 149. He's worked hard, stuck with it and now he's getting an opportunity.

Shaker has had several wrestlers of recent memory compete with distinction for Ohio D1 programs. Will Knight, Kore Sharpley and Corey Morrison all did some terrific things at Ohio State (especially when you consider that none were "blue chip" recruits). Now Marcel is blazing his own trail at Kent.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on October 26, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"I'm proud of Marcel Clopton. I watched him a lot in high school and he was always a blue collar grinder type of competitor. What he lacked in slickness, he made up for in toughness and sheer desire. In the Shaker practice room, he worked about twice as hard as everybody else.

It's very hard to stick with college wrestling when you're working your butt off and not starting. This is his 4th season and it appears he's going to be the 149. He's worked hard, stuck with it and now he's getting an opportunity.

Shaker has had several wrestlers of recent memory compete with distinction for Ohio D1 programs. Will Knight, Kore Sharpley and Corey Morrison all did some terrific things at Ohio State (especially when you consider that none were "blue chip" recruits). Now Marcel is blazing his own trail at Kent."

Hank, on behalf of Marc and the Shaker program thanks for the recognition. And, of course, you do have inside information on the program. :)

► Add to the Discussion