Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: 2010 Columbus Marathon
Doug Brandt added to this discussion on October 17, 2010

I volunteered for this year's Columbus Marathon at the King Ave. water station, which was somewhere between 20 and 21 miles. I saw two runners familiar to the OSU wrestling community run by: Tom Ryan and Colt Sponseller. Both looked strong.

Coach Ryan finished in 3:42:56- 8:31 pace, and Mr. Sponseller ran 3:06:48, which is 7:08 pace. Excellent times.

Congratulations to both of them- and to anyone else on the team I may have missed!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on October 17, 2010

Very cool. Now we know why Colt has that endless motor!

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on October 17, 2010

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Very cool. Now we know why Colt has that endless motor!"

... and is able to drop to 157.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 18, 2010

Colt's time is awesome, I wonder what his VO2 max is. As for for running 26 miles at one time, brutal. Nice job Coach Ryan. Way to represent.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 19, 2010

Columbus is a very nice marathon, flat, October weather-- brings back memories in 1983 when i was age 40 (and slimmer) i ran 3:13 in it. Not bad because i could never get my wt under 178-180, im just too thick, not a runners build at all.

i recall the King ave water station, about that point in the race the legs were starting to give way, but the end was near. s/BobP

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 19, 2010

Heck of a time Bob. Clydesdales are'nt made for distance running. Thank goodness there is wrestling.

Rex,
its funny about "body type", true story in 1984 i hurt my back real bad, could barely walk 50 feet for many months, constant pain-- so i took up swimming rather than undergo the knife, i joined a club, and it worked, after months of swimming i did rehabilitate myself 90% anyway.

but the thing is when swimming laps (which i HATED) fat old women would fly by me, i finally came to the conclusion it was body type, i had too muscle mass not enough fat. I was an awful swimmer. --Remember Joe Frazier boxing champ, when he sank trying to swim ??

I hear you and agree. Picking a sport or the sport picking you. I heard Dustin Fox use this one time and sentiments the way I feel about sports. I really drawn to two things in sport and they complemented my physicality and disposition. Wrestle and play quarterback.

I dislike swimming but realize its' merit. It wears me out as much as wrestling. UA was one of the schools which required it of the PE curriculum. I would not have won a title my Junior year of high school if I had participated. Thankfully, my wrestling coach was a PE teacher. I learned of its' deleting effect on my energy reserves my sophomore year.

swimming is great for injury rehab, i did alot of reading on it because when i had my serious back injury all i heard from the medical field was that i needed surgery-- but i had heard stories that it was risky, and of course it was major delicate surgery.

i read that the Bulgarian weightlifting team --that at the time, in a country the size of Ohio-- was the best in the world, along with the Russians, the Bulgarians believed in daily water therapy as part of their training.

And it did work for me. I will always have some discomfort, but basically it rehabed me 90% to what i was before. Thats the best u can expect after a serious back injury. s/BobP

Bob-
I would be interested in knowing whether you injured your back while wrestling or lifting. Elaborate if you don't mind.

Rex,
i injured my back by running too much-- my personality is to keep doing what i like, what i need, what im used to-- so when my back started bothering me from alot of running the hills in the Cleveland Metroparks in cold weather, i continued to go out after work and run because i was "addicted" to it-- after hours in the office, i needed it physically & mentally.

eventually i couldnt stand up straight, my torso was crooked, i had serious lower disc problems, i had great pain-- i went to a orthopedic doctor and didnt like his advice or indifferent attitude, he didnt seem to care, he rcommended the knife and walked away.

so i started swimming because its non-impact, but it keeps you in shape with your flexibility & cardiovascular, its good for you but cant hurt you.

I hated swimming, i was an awful swimmer, geting in a cold pool in January & February, doing boring laps, but i did it for many months and eventually was rehabed enough to start jogging again after about 7 months of swimming laps almost every day for 45 minutes per day. s/BobP

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 21, 2010

Bob-
I know the pain and frustration of disk herniation first hand. The pain and limitation is very bad but the desire to do things at the level you were once use to is worse. It is a gamechanger. If I had written that about 9 years ago, it would be an emotional jumble of overwhelming proportion.

Doctors get paid for procedures. Some doctors care about overall health, which does not necessarily include procedures whereas other doctors are interested in making as much money as possible and are procedure driven.

► Add to the Discussion