Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Hypothetical Situation
Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on October 18, 2010

I never even looked at Men's Water Polo or Volleyball (I wonder how many colleges have those two sports) and overlooked Golf and Soccer. I know that Women's V'Ball and Soccer get 12 schooly's.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ted Tonn added to this discussion on October 18, 2010

[quote="Hank Kornblut"]College Choices: Michigan, Ohio State, Kent St.

Got a chance to speak to Chris & his father a few weeks ago after a football game, and they approached one of my wrestlers about joining him (Chris) to wrestle at a specific college...and it wasn't any of the 3 mentioned above.
Chris is an awesome kid, but knowing him he wont make a decision until the last minute and it might change 10x between then lol.
Whatever school gets him lands the whole goldmine obviously.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on October 18, 2010

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"I never even looked at Men's Water Polo or Volleyball (I wonder how many colleges have those two sports) and overlooked Golf and Soccer. I know that Women's V'Ball and Soccer get 12 schooly's."

I would think a fair amount have volleyball, wouldn't think too many have Water Polo.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on October 18, 2010

[quote="Ted Tonn"]

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"College Choices: Michigan, Ohio State, Kent St.

Got a chance to speak to Chris & his father a few weeks ago after a football game, and they approached one of my wrestlers about joining him (Chris) to wrestle at a specific college...and it wasn't any of the 3 mentioned above.
Chris is an awesome kid, but knowing him he won't make a decision until the last minute and it might change 10x between then lol.
Whatever school gets him lands the whole goldmine obviously."

What all comprises the 'whole goldmine'? And how could you only get part of it?

Ted Tonn added to this discussion on October 18, 2010

[quote="Gary Sommers"]

Quote from Ted Tonn's post:

"

"College Choices: Michigan, Ohio State, Kent St.

Chris is an awesome kid, but knowing him he won't make a decision until the last minute and it might change 10x between then lol.
Whatever school gets him lands the whole goldmine obviously."

What all comprises the 'whole goldmine'? And how could you only get part of it?"

He's the best upperweight out there in the class of 2011 in my opinion.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 19, 2010

Ted: Since you seem to know Chris Phillips a bit, I want to ask a few questions.

There's been a lot of talk that Chris hasn't displayed the type of intensity that college coaches want to see when he talks about competing at the next level. In your opinion, is that nonsense? Is he just misunderstood?

Or maybe it's just a bad rumor with no basis in fact?

Can you comment?

Ted Tonn added to this discussion on October 19, 2010

"Ted: Since you seem to know Chris Phillips a bit, I want to ask a few questions.

There's been a lot of talk that Chris hasn't displayed the type of intensity that college coaches want to see when he talks about competing at the next level. In your opinion, is that nonsense? Is he just misunderstood?

Or maybe it's just a bad rumor with no basis in fact?

Can you comment?"

Hank,
I've had the pleasure (or displeasure actually lol) of seeing Chris absolutely dominate some of my best guys over the past few years, in the practice room as well as in matches. This young man is one of the hardest working wrestlers I have ever seen in a practice room. When he feels challenged in a match, or is just in a bad mood,he is ultra intense. Unfortunately he is very seldom challenged and I think at times he "plays" with opponents like one of those killer whales you see flipping around a baby seal on the Discovery Channel. That being said, instead of pinning his opponent in 20 seconds, he almost always prefers to tf. them as quickly as he can. I think thats where the false idea of a lack of a killer instinct comes from.
Does he live/eat/breathe the sport 24/7 like the Stiebers? No. He doesnt have to, not that theres anything wrong with what the Stiebers do its just Chris is a differnt kid. Thats the first thing his coaches will always say about him...hes different,..in a good way.
If a college coach doesnt think this kid is intense enough to wrestle on their team then they shouldnt be coaching.
He will be a monster in college...guaranteed.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 19, 2010

Sports are a business. You have to recruit the guy who fits in best with your line up and has the greatest potential for success.

One of the ugly things that surfaces is the emotion of anger and hate that arises from perceived lack of interest or respect. It is largely a function of miscommunication and interpretation.

I think as a coach you have to recruit all the in state impact kids, gauge their desire to become part of the program, determine needs and be up front about allocation of scholarships. If other out of state kids fit in to potential line up better, then they will be given a better offer. It is not personal rather the price of business. The way that is handled is what separates some coaches.

My last year at tOSU '98, there was the case of Nick Preston and Andy Hrovat. Both studs with huge upside potential.

Hellickson made decisions about recruiting and was an emotional guy. There seemed to be a rift between the St Ed's program and tOSU wrestling program. None of the St Ed studs continued their careers at tOSU.(oddly poetic that Palmer was the first during Hellickson's career)

Russ went with Preston as he was the local guy and was a bit more athletic but not as polished as Andy. Things turned out the way they did.

However, I can remember after the fact that there was a lot of emotion (not positive) that was created by the way the recruiting process had been handled.

Part of it is reflected by Hellickson's emotionality in which he had a hard time going after a recruit if he did not think he would sign due to scholarship. He wanted the kid that wanted to come to school at OSU and wrestle for him. I think he had a had a hard time building a relationship and losing out to another school. He did not want to deal with that part of the equation but it is a very important and delicate matter.

Mismanaging this part of the process could be possibly interpreted as a disinterest or even a lack of respect. Not the kind of thing which reflects positively.

So, in retrospect offer Phillips what is available contingent upon other offers on the table and make sure that he is welcome to continue his career at tOSU. Also, let him know the way things have played out make scholarship a limitation. Also, do so in a skillful way that motivates him to wrestle for the Buckeyes. Just my two cents.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2