Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Courts to Ohio State
Josh Lowe added to this discussion on October 13, 2010

Check out http://www.intermatwrestle.com for more details - brief synopsis there with more of a story to come from http://www.buckeyewrestling.com at some point tonight or tomorrow AM.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 13, 2010

Courts fills a huge area of need. He could easily end up at 184/197. There's no one in the country with more physical tools than Courts in my opinion.

Come on McCauley and McIntosh. Make this class one of the great ones in Ohio history.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on October 13, 2010

Assuming Courts (injury-related) and Phillips didn't have circumstances arise that raised questions -- I have no doubt in my mind that they would be the top two wrestlers in this class nationally ... yes, unequivocally ahead of McCauley and McIntosh.

Before the questions came about for both wrestlers, it was an open-ended question as to which one was better/more talented. Remember that in the fall of 2008, this was a hot debate nationally.

So far four very highly ranked prospects c/o 2011 for Ohio State, and that doesn't even count the expected deferred enrollment from Garcia.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 13, 2010

What a beautiful thing to see when I get on here. I feel like a kid who woke up late one April night to get something out of the refrigerator only to realize that it's Easter and see the bunny himself right there scurrying out of site in the living room.

Just for fun, my Projection of a 2013/14 Roster:

125: Logan Stieber (RS Jr)
133: Ian Paddock (RS Sr?)/Johnni DiJulius (RS So)
141: Hunter Stieber (RS So)/Ian Paddock
149: Cam Tessari (RS So)/ Collin Palmer (RS Sr)
157:
165: Derek Garcia (RS So)
174: Josh Demas (RS Jr)
184: Nick Heflin (RS Sr)/Kenny Courts (RS So)
197:
285: John Hiles (RS Sr)

I could be forgetting someone. Note the spaces for a couple other highly ranked recruits.

Julie Thomas added to this discussion on October 13, 2010

I have never been one to counter a decision our Coach makes but this one I do. I just don't think physically his knees are sound. He hasn't competed in the sumer doing freestyle or greco with out getting injured or already injured. If he can't get through a high school season how in the heck will he get through a college wrestling room. I hope I'm wrong but we will see. I can't agree on this one. I would prefer McIntosh. As for Phillips I heard he is heading to Michigan.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 14, 2010

Kevin's Article:
http://www.buckeyewrestling.com/index.php?q=node/37587

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 14, 2010

Julie:
Tony Jameson arrived at Ohio State and blew out his shoulder...Collin Palmer hurt his back and developed a staph infection...J. Jaggers wrecked his elbow and knee...Tom Rowlands hurt his ankle in the national semis...Mike Pucillo spent his senior year wrestling injured...

Maybe Courts just got all that stuff out of the way early?

Don Bork added to this discussion on October 14, 2010

According to the InterMat article Courts wrestled 47 matches as a soph and 42 as a junior. I must be missing somthing here as those both seem like very full high scool seasons.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on October 14, 2010

The major injury came as a freshman while he was winning the championship at the Beast of the East. It took him out of the rest of his freshman year.

I don't know the exact history, but there have been injuries in the other off-seasons (obviously to a lesser degree) that have precluded him from competing.

I don't think they are anything to be alarmed about. If they were, you wouldn't have a multitude of power programs going after him the way they are.

The coaching staff has procured the services of a very capable wrestler well-equipped to succeed at the collegiate level.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 15, 2010

Great pickup! I watched Courts when he was younger and was impressed. I went back and watched some of his matches on flo and am even more stoked. Lighting quick and very technical. Super slick sweep single and low single. Being a PA kid probably indicates that he is at least proficient on the mat. I think it would be ideal if he eventually grew into a 197 but either way great pick up!

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 15, 2010

Past HS injuries are by no means a polar indicator of future durability. I suspect Courts will likely get stronger and more durable as he continues to grow and fill out.

It sounds like he tore a ligament his freshman year due to the length of recovery. It happens.

His athleticism and past record are too positive to pass on him for a perceived durability issue. Also, if his body breaks, athletes are largely protected now and they typically are given a medical dismissal if they are unable to continue per a doctor and school can be paid for without it counting against the athletic scholarship total. So, it is a a good insurance policy for the kid and the program . That being said, his upside is obviously huge given the programs interested in him.

► Add to the Discussion