Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Kent Lineup
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 9, 2010

Trying to piece it together based on their roster. Corrections are encouraged.

125: Bedelyon/Opfer/Mitcheff
133: Bedelyon/Opfer/Mitcheff
141: Skonieczny
149: Cathell/Shuster
157: Shuster/Cathell
165: Tice/Bostelman
174: Witt
184: Kilgore
197: Newberg?
285: Barlow

Question marks--What weight for Bedelyon? Unless I'm missing something, Kent is stronger with him at 133. Is Cathell eligible? What happened to the Barberton kid that they recruited for 197?

As an aside, a mythical dual with the Bucks would probably be very close. I see 125, 133 and 141 for Bucks (arguably I'm wrong here esp. with regard to Bedelyon), 149 favors Kent if Cathell; otherwise it's Nemec, 157 for Bucks, Tice v Jameson would be intriguing. Presumeably Kent would be favored at 174 and 285 although Witt over Heflin is a nod to experience at this point. Magrum would be a solid choice at 197 while Kilgore would be the biggest favorite in the dual.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 9, 2010

I think it will be

125: Bedelyon (very good chance to AA at 125, maybe high, I just don't know what to expect from him at 133)
133: Opfer with some competition from Mitcheff
141: Skonieczny
149: Shuster
157: Cathell (R12/AA contender)
165: Tice
174: Witt
184: Kilgore (NCAA champ contender)
197: Cogar
285: Barlow (strong AA contender)

Throw in the fact that just about everyone on the team is good enough to win a match or two at NCAAs, and this is a very good team.

The way I see it, tOSU is favored at 125, 133, 149, 157, and 197. The way I score it right now, I have Kent winning 18-17, but there are plenty of tossups.

Nationally, I think Kent is a top 10-15 team.

Ben: Cogar wasn't listed on Kent's roster. Maybe an oversight? Perhaps someone with knowledge of the program can clear this up.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on October 9, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Ben: Cogar wasn't listed on Kent's roster. Maybe an oversight? Perhaps someone with knowledge of the program can clear this up."

Hank, I read on another site (can't remember which) that Coger has 'retired' from wrestling. And do you know if Marcel has any chance to break their lineup?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 9, 2010

I didn't know that. If he is done, it's surprising to me because he had a pretty good year last year--especially considering that how short he was for that weight class. What do we know about Newburg?

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on October 9, 2010

Newberg had a successful season last year wrestling anywhere from 74 to 97 if I'm not mistaken. He lost some close matches to noteworthy competition and had a lot of wins. I think he will be suprisingly solid in the KSU line up.

Losing Cogar is a blow but Kent does do an excellent job of coaching up their talent.

Gary: Marcel has gotten progressively better since arriving at Kent. I think he'll be a spot starter with a chance for a lot of action if Cathell is not in the lineup. I don't know where things stand with Cathell. He's been a talent in the past. He is on the roster. Last year he was not in the lineup most of the season for reasons that I think related to eligibility issues perhaps stemming from his transfer. If Cathell is not in the lineup, then my guess is Shuster remains at 157 and Clopton battles Sasfy or their frosh recruit for 149.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on October 10, 2010

FYI. The thread about Cogar is on Yappi, dated 9/30/10.

► Add to the Discussion