Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: The Buckeye Roster Yields Some Tidbits
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 10, 2010

Rex: I would add that the other x factor will be Collin Palmer. I didn't know if he'd even be with the program this season given all the internet chatter regarding health issues plus other things that require no elaboration. Then add in that the Bucks recruited Tessari and H. Stieber and my assumption was that Collin was probably not part of the Bucks long term plans. Now, he's a projected starter.

Interesting twist.

If he's still the stud recruit he was when they signed him, then the Bucks should have a real up and comer at 141.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 10, 2010

And from what I've seen of him, like his brother Lance, he likes the boots & power half. And as Lance showed us, that can be a winning combination in college.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 10, 2010

Collin is definitely a wild card. You never know anything for sure until it happens and then you are stuck analyzing why it happened.

I read a recent article on Lance about his transition to MMA. I like Lances' repeat advice from his high school coach about blocking everything out except that which will allow you to accomplish your goal. It will be good for OSU wrestling if Collin follows that same advice.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on October 10, 2010

As I've stated before, this line up will be filled with tpo notch recruits. If the development is as we expect, they will be just fine and quite exciting.

Some of the concern from the fan base may be due to the lack of wrestling the red shirts did last season.

Records from what I can see from last season:

Capone: 8-3 vs D1, placed in 3 opens
Hiles: 8-3 vs D1, placed in two tournaments
Palmer: 2-1 vs D1 (sounds like Collin was fighting injury most of the year)

I can't find any results from Heflin.

My point being that since there have been limited results on these four, the natural tendency is towards concern.

But with their pedigree and the coaching in that room, I tend to feel that they will suprise people across the country.

I believe Heflin won the club (NWCA) nationals, which albeit are club Nationals but a good litmus test for someone's confidence and ability.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 10, 2010

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"I believe Heflin won the club (NWCA) nationals, which albeit are club Nationals but a good litmus test for someone's confidence and ability."

I know he won the National Collegiate Open, if that's what you're talking about. His weight included Dan Yates, a top-10 recruit from a year ago. The bracket is here: http://buckeyewrestling.com/pdf/2010.National.Collegiate.Open.Final.Brackets.pdf

Also, he had a good showing at University Nationals in Freestyle. He dominated his first match or two, and then put together a good first period against phenom and eventual champion Quentin Wright. Heflin was injured in the match, but until the injury he had looked great in the tournament.

If you want to watch his match against Wright, here it is:
http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/wrestling_match/play/325825-84k-nicholas-heflin-ohio-regional-traini-vs-quentin-wright-nittany-lion-wrestli

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on October 10, 2010

That is a noteworthy title for a RS, and shows that with continued development he will be a solid starter as early as this season.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 10, 2010

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"
It should be a fun season with a lot of different types of discussion than years past. Despite being largely unproven, I see 7-10 qualifiers as a possibility and 1-4 AAs. Development and timing are always the deciding factors."

On that note, it's really going to be an interesting season in this way nation-wide. Most of the powerhouses are going to be very young. Iowa loses 9 of their starters. Oklahoma State's squad will be littered with (extremely talented) freshmen and sophomores. Iowa State also loses 8 or 9 starters, but to be honest the guys they have coming in to the lineup don't seem all that talented. Minnesota loses their two best wrestlers: Jayson Ness and Dustin Schlatter. And obviously you've pointed out Ohio State's situation.

It's an exciting year to be following college wrestling; this year goes a long way in showing what we're going to be watching for the next 3 or 4 years.

I believe the National Collegiate Open is affiliated with the NWCA and the schools that represent are those that do not have varsity recognized status. Forgot about the match with Wright. Good call. I remember going in the room last year and my spidey sense went off when I looked at Heflin and I thought to myself, "this kid's a stud"

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 10, 2010

Rex: If your spidey sense tingled, I'm impressed.

I always liked Heflin a lot in high school. Nice technique and solid in all three phases. He was a very good pick up for the Buckeyes.

Capone has been a bit of a surprise. A NY state champ and a transfer, not much was thought of him when he arrived. But last season he showed a knack for tourney placement. Now he's a probable starter. Some guys just have a knack for winning. That's the sense I get about this kid. I'll be interested to see how he performs.

Hank-
I agree about Capone, he shows a knack for winning. I think any wrestler who has an NCAA wrestler as a dad is at an advantage when going to college. More than likely, a college style philosophy has been ingrained in them and dad can offer sound advice from having been there and done that. I find the same principles apply today that applied 20 years ago. It takes awhile to figure it out as an athlete, but if you have a coach and father who are clued in to your needs and attitude, then the learning curve is not a mountain, but a hill.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 10, 2010

I think Capone had a win over Zeerip in an open last year.

Don Bork added to this discussion on October 11, 2010

Scott, I'm sure your right on that as I had the same recolection. My biggest concern with Capone is his size. Magrum got handled last year by the physical beasts at 197. I'm hoping that he has added lean mass in order to compete physically and that Capone is there too and not wrestling "up" because we lack depth at 184.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 11, 2010

Was that win over Justin or Justin's younger brother, Collin?

Impressive either way to me, but I was just wondering. I think Collin may have been a freshman last year. But then again, maybe it was Justin he beat.

Derek Gainey added to this discussion on October 14, 2010

I just watched coach ryan talk about the projected line up. He didnt mention 165?????. He said that wrestle offs are coming but he didnt mention jameson.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next