Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: The Buckeye Roster Yields Some Tidbits
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 6, 2010

Ohio State has updated their wrestling roster and there are some interesting things to discuss.

1) Josh Demas is not on the roster. I checked--and he's listed as a student. Let's hope it's an oversight.

2) Kirk Tank, one of C.J. Magrums state champ teammates from a few years back, is now on the roster as a 165. As I recall, he initially attended Mich. State. He would certainly provide another solid competitor at that weight.

3) Colt Sponseller is listed as a 165 and Sean Nemec is listed as a 157. Now, it could be that it's a simple error. Someone might be working off dated material or some such thing. But...Tony Jameson is now listed as a 149. Me thinks there are some lineup shifts already brewing. And I like them--a lot. Ohio State has a much stronger lineup if they fit in both Nemec and Jameson. My assumption was that Jameson would be challenging for the 165 spot. But if he were able to slim down to 149, he'd be of much greater benefit to the squad--assuming Nemec and Sponseller stayed put. I have never been a big fan of either Sponseller or Nemec going down a weight. And I think a lineup of Stieber, Paddock, Palmer, Jameson, Nemec and Sponseller gives the Bucks a solid starting six and eliminates a potential weak spot at 165.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 7, 2010

Randy Languis is also listed on the Buckeye roster at 141. He was D1 state champ last year @140 from Dublin Scioto.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 8, 2010

Someone out there close to the team (Kevin) must know the answer to these issues. It seems to me that the weights listed for Jameson, Nemec and Spoonseller are more appropriate than the rumor Jameson was going 165.

Big big jump unless he really hit the weights over summer. Seemed a little overpowered when he went 157 last year.

I could see Sponseller at 157 but would even moreso like to see him take a shot again at Howe. I think he has it in him. It took Palmer a few years to get Metcalf and when he did he almost stuck him.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 8, 2010

here's the deal as of today, take it to the bank:

125—Stieber (Triggas will RS); 133—Paddock; 141—Palmer; 149—Nemec; 157-Spons; 165—Tony Jameson; 174-Nick Heflin; 184—Peter Capone; 197—C.J. Magrum; 285.—Hiles. That’s 4 freshman and 4 sophs-- Not a returning AA either.

BTW, Capone’s dad was NCAA runner-up in 1984 for Hofstra. s/BobP

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 8, 2010

I wouldn't put much stock in the roster listed on the website for the simple reason that the sports information people who work on the websites are techies, not wrestling fans. Whatever is on a paper in front of them, they add. So if they just got a list of newbies, that's all that changed (see Sponseller not at 157).

I remember sitting next to a Cleveland State SID a few years ago at their Green v. White scrimmage, telling him what a takedown was and how many points it was worth because he had no idea.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on October 8, 2010

Looking at the dropping weight classes of Nemec and Sponseller, got me thinking that it might give them an advantage at mat wrestling.
When I think of the best mat wrestlers, none of them seemed to be particularly short for their weights. Taylor, Heskett, Jaggers, Simmons, and Askren are pretty lanky and I think the extra reach helps keep opponents from escaping and makes it easier to get a reversal from underneath.
Nemec's and Sponseller's competition will now be about an inch shorter so hopefully, that will give them an edge. I remember Colt saying that his greatest weakness was mat wrestling, so may have been his way to address that.

I'd love to hear comments to let me know I'm on the right track.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 8, 2010

Dead Horse Beating Alert:

I pointed out that Kirk Tank, a former state champ(over Coby Boyd no less), has popped up on the roster. So has Randy Languis, a state champ at 140 in D1 (an upset winner over Shane Foster). Prior to the arrival of Tom Ryan, this would have been big news. We'd be excited about what these two guys might contribute. We'd debate how they might fit into the lineup and what they might be capable of accomplishing.

Now, I can't even get a comment. Why? Because in what might be a down year for the Bucks, the lineup is still thick with stud competitors, most of whom are multiple state champs. In the meantime, a fantastic recruiting class--one over which we'd all have been fawning a half decade ago--is already assembled. And we're waiting to hear about the decisions of several other top recruits. Not to mention that the #1 recruit in the country is getting set to begin his career as a Buckeye.

It's amazing how much the culture of the program has changed--as have our expectations.

Brad Perkins added to this discussion on October 8, 2010

Great points Hank. Have read that Fortune may not be coming to Columbus, anyone know if this is true?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 8, 2010

Wait until next year!!!

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 9, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Dead Horse Beating Alert:

I pointed out that Kirk Tank, a former state champ(over Coby Boyd no less), has popped up on the roster. So has Randy Languis, a state champ at 140 in D1 (an upset winner over Shane Foster). Prior to the arrival of Tom Ryan, this would have been big news. We'd be excited about what these two guys might contribute. We'd debate how they might fit into the lineup and what they might be capable of accomplishing.

Now, I can't even get a comment. Why? Because in what might be a down year for the Bucks, the lineup is still thick with stud competitors, most of whom are multiple state champs. In the meantime, a fantastic recruiting class--one over which we'd all have been fawning a half decade ago--is already assembled. And we're waiting to hear about the decisions of several other top recruits. Not to mention that the #1 recruit in the country is getting set to begin his career as a Buckeye.

It's amazing how much the culture of the program has changed--as have our expectations."

So true. I think Tank is a nice pickup. I like the moxie he showed pinning Boyd in ot after being pinned by him in the state finals the year before. Randy Languis is a better pickup than many realize. Languis made big jumps every year and by all accounts is a very good student and great kid. I'm pretty sure he runs with Demas who is also a very high character kid.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on October 9, 2010

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Wait until next year!!!"

For "the man, the myth, the legend" Tyrell Fortune?

No disgrace at all, but not everyone is meant to be in college. Is this the case with him?

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on October 9, 2010

Anyone know about Josh Demas?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 9, 2010

I checked on Demas. He attended classes this summer and was in the room but had some temporary but significant health issues pop up at the start of the school year. He is not injured. He is recovering well. He will be wrestling for Ohio State.

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on October 9, 2010

Man good news for Buckeyes. Demas Started wrestling little later than most from my understanding. But this kid real deal has made major strides every yr. Look for big things from this kid.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 10, 2010

This is the most interesting line up in awhile as there are so many new Buckeye faces in the line up. I really look forward to watching Stieber progress. 125-133-141 is a nice 1-2-3 punch in any dual regardless of college experience.

Nemec handling the weight cut is huge. Having watched guys juggle academics and practice while managing caloric intake is definitely not fun but worthwhile. At the collegiate level it can be particularly brutal.

I like Sponseller at 157, he wins on conditioning. Add in size factor and continued development of his defense and he could have a really special year.

Jameson, Heflin, Capone, Magrum and Hiles will all improve. Interesting to see who progresses the quickest of the bunch. Jameson is so fun to watch. I don't see size being such a disadvantage. I think his confidence will continue to grow. Mike Sheets, a former Oklahoma State wrestler could only make the line up at 167 as a freshman weighing only 155 and AA'ed. He was known for his incredible flexibility and hip strength much akin to Jameson. Heflin looks to have the physique and tools to be very successful this year. Really interested to see Capone, I remember watching his dad lose in the NCAA finals to Chris Edmonds of Tennessee on TV. That was a shoot out. Magrum is a goer who should be much improved after a summer of skill improvement. Hiles has the workout partners in place to be great.

It should be a fun season with a lot of different types of discussion than years past. Despite being largely unproven, I see 7-10 qualifiers as a possibility and 1-4 AAs. Development and timing are always the deciding factors.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next