Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Will McCauley Become a Buckeye?
Don Bork added to this discussion on October 5, 2010

Good call JP. Also noticed Keith of Harvard was an undecided. Do you supose he's there just to play sports? A closed mind is a terible thing to waste.

Last edited by Don Bork on October 5, 2010; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 5, 2010

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

Quote from Dan Ransick's post:

"Exploring is how Ohio State likes to say "undecided" that's what it was when I was there a few years ago at least."

Might it also stand for "athlete primarily here to play sports"?"

I think Denard Robinson is studyinig the effect of heat on ice for four years at Michaigan. . .but he sure can run!

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 5, 2010

Congrats to Paddock on the GPA, For the record, I was making jest of undecided being reassessed as exploring.

I hope McCauley comes to OSU, he seems like a great young man with high level wrestling skills and commitment.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on October 5, 2010

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

"

"Exploring is how Ohio State likes to say "undecided" that's what it was when I was there a few years ago at least."

I think Denard Robinson is studyinig the effect of heat on ice for four years at Michaigan. . .but he sure can run!"

This year he can even throw. Perhaps not one of the Mannings, but much better than he was.

Now if they could just play some defense. :(

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on October 5, 2010

Quote from J.P. Barner's post:

"

"

then why study well enough to make Dean's List?"

I don't doubt he does study, and probably quite a bit, but being a "Dean's List student" in general is also a function of the school being attended and the major. Or perhaps a lack of, since no one quite seems to know for sure what 'exploring' is.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on October 5, 2010

One can always look it up. I see it as "Undecided" but with a better spin.

http://exploration.osu.edu/index.aspx

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 5, 2010

"

"

"

I think Denard Robinson is studyinig the effect of heat on ice for four years at Michaigan. . .but he sure can run!"

This year he can even throw. Perhaps not one of the Mannings, but much better than he was.

Now if they could just play some defense. :("

Why take a post honoring a kid and reply with a slam on him and his school? It's one thing to play devils advocate and another to just be a dick.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on October 6, 2010

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"

"

"

"

Now if they could just play some defense. :("

Why take a post honoring a kid and reply with a slam on him and his school? It's one thing to play devils advocate and another to just be a dick."

No slam on him at all. He did not choose to use the word 'exploring' to mean 'undecided', if that is indeed what it means. MANY kids start out undecided, heck my daughter is a soccer goalie at Marietta and currently she is undecided, says so right there on their soccer page. No problems with that at all.

It was more a joke at OSU, not my first as many understand and play along with. Sorry if you took my comment so sensitively.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 6, 2010

moving along now, i just learned Brian Dolph the new Volunteer Coach at U of Michigan.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on October 6, 2010

I never knew about the connections that McFarland had to Dolph. So who exactly left that volunteer coach position at Michigan?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 6, 2010

connection? not sure, but Dolph won his NCAA title at Indiana U and McFarland coached at Indiana U, don't know if they overlapped there ?

Dolph will also head U of Michigan's RTC freestyle program according to info i received.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 6, 2010

Gary:

I don't think Scott took your comments too sensitively. I think you crossed a bright red line. A wrestler was honored for academic achievements and you attempted to undercut them by casting aspersions on the validity of his course work. There are a lot of topics about which we can have healthy debate and contrary points of view are beneficial. But unless you can produce photos of Paddock weaving baskets for which he's receiving an A in Physics, I just don't understand a need to say anything other than "Good job."

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 6, 2010

Dolph won in 1990 for IU and was McFarland's first NCAA champ as a (head)coach. I believe he beat Gary Steffensmeier from Northern Iowa in the Finals. Steffensmeier upset Townsend Saunders in quarters or semis, going strictly off memory so could be wrong.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on October 6, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Gary:

I don't think Scott took your comments too sensitively. I think you crossed a bright red line. A wrestler was honored for academic achievements and you attempted to undercut them by casting aspersions on the validity of his course work. There are a lot of topics about which we can have healthy debate and contrary points of view are beneficial. But unless you can produce photos of Paddock weaving baskets for which he's receiving an A in Physics, I just don't understand a need to say anything other than "Good job.""

Okay, but I see nowhere that I posted anything casting any aspersions about any specific courses he or any of the other guys on that list took.

I don't know if he or any of the other guys took Physics or Basketweaving, or anything in-between. What I do know is I said I am sure he worked hard for what he got. That's an aspersion?

As far as my belief that not all schools or majors are created equal, that is absolutley true. The concept doesn't just apply to academia, but many walks of life. And that certainly was not a comment directed at anyone in particular.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 7, 2010

Blame Gordon Gee. "Undecided" is a perfectly good academic classification for a freshman. The ultimate academic/dweeb/liberal overthought that one and decided "exploring" was better.

I have to admit that threw me. Of course, being unaware of what it meant I didn't question it on this forum.

Given that Paddock was away from home, wrestling on a top 5 team as a true freshman, and likely taking courses in several areas, I think this achievement is outstanding.

I have always thought it easier for freshmen and sophomores who hit college knowing what they want to major in because they are already intersted in their classes and planning for their future in a particular area. I was like Paddock: I had no idea what I was going to do when I entered college.

Some of my collegues might suggest I am still looking.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next