Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Will McCauley Become a Buckeye?
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 26, 2010

Destin McCauley is considered by many to be the best high school senior in the country. He is believed to have narrowed down his school choice to Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa--with some reporting that Ohio State has the edge. If he came to Ohio State, the incoming class of fall 2011 would include: Garcia (a #1 type talent), Hunter Stieber (theopenmat's #1 prospect at 141), Cam Tessari (theopenmat's #3 prospect at 149) and Johnny DiJulius (#2 at 133 according to theopenmat.com). This would probably prove to be the #1 class in the country and arguably the best in Ohio State history. How respected is McCauley? Read what is being said on an Iowa forum.

http://iowa.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=813&tid=136601352&mid=136601352&sid=940&style=2

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on September 26, 2010

let's all hope! Man that would be a good team in two yrs...

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on September 26, 2010

And if you added Phillips to that list ,,,,

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on September 26, 2010

Thats how I feel Rick. Its almost like people are forgetting about Chris. I would think Chris would be high on list.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 26, 2010

What struck me was how intensely the Iowa fans were scrutinizing McCauley's comments. There was huge interest on their part in seeing him come to Iowa but also the sense that it would be tough for him to find a spot in the lineup. Ultimately, there were three pages of comments related to his decision to announce that Iowa, Wisconsin and Ohio State were his final three choices.

McCauley is rumored to have Ohio State at #1 on his list. Getting him would be the recruiting coup of Tom Ryan's coaching career--and guarantee the Bucks the best incoming class in the country. In addition, Ken Courts, who, in spite of his history of injury problems, is arguably the best 174-184 prospect in the country, also has Ohio State as one of his top two.

Is anyone excited? Ohio State is close to putting together the greatest class in school history. No guarantee it will happen but two out-of-state superstars are leaning towards Columbus. What would it mean for the program? Projected lineups?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on September 26, 2010

I posted this a while back in Bob's Musings and Rumblings thread, but it seems appropriate here:

It would be huge. It would give the Buckeyes the #1 recruiting class in the country for next year, and I say that knowing it will be true even though not many guys have committed to other schools. McCauley, Garcia, H. Stieber, Tessari, and Dijulius form a squad of four top-ten guys--five top-25 guys. That would be right up there with Iowa's squad from this year.

It would also be huge for the future of the Ohio RTC. Consider this: Logan Stieber, Derek Garcia, Destin McCauley and Morgan McIntosh are four of the top five freestylers in the country who have yet to enroll in college (I don't have a list of my own rankings, but they seem like 4/top 5 off the top of my head). To get three of them on one team would be amazing. They are guys who seek out the best competition they can find, and that's a huge indicator.

I remember reading a Cael Sanderson interview once where he said that he knew he wanted to coach after the 04 Olympics, and that he knew he wanted to win a gold medal so he could recruit guys that wanted to win gold medals. What we are seeing is Ohio State start to land a lot of guys who have those high post-collegiate aspirations. I can't think of a better sign that your program is growing in the right direction.

My only concern about the possible signing of McCauley is his weight projection. He is at 152 right now, and I think that's up from where he was in the ceiling. I've talked to a guy who used to wrestle for AV and he sees McCauley as a 165/174 guy. 174 seems a bit high to me, and the guy I talked to could be a little off (I've also read that McCauley doesn't cut much to get to 152), but it seems to me like OSU just nabbed two guys who project to 165/174 in Garcia and Demas. Obviously competition in the room is a great thing, but that sounds like it's probably a lot of money in one area when there is probably more of a need in the upperweights. Maybe they'd all slide into the lineup nicely though. Either way, I can think of a lot worse problems to have.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on September 26, 2010

I think McCauley is more of a 149/157 type.

125-Stieber
133-Dijulius
141-Stieber
149-Tessari
157-McCauley
165-Garcia
174-Demas
184-McIntosh/Courts/Philips?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on September 27, 2010

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"I think McCauley is more of a 149/157 type.

125-Stieber
133-Dijulius
141-Stieber
149-Tessari
157-McCauley
165-Garcia
174-Demas
184-McIntosh/Courts/Philips?"

I like! Throw in Paddock and Palmer fighting for those lower weights, too.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on September 27, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"What struck me was how intensely the Iowa fans were scrutinizing McCauley's comments. There was huge interest on their part in seeing him come to Iowa but also the sense that it would be tough for him to find a spot in the lineup. Ultimately, there were three pages of comments related to his decision to announce that Iowa, Wisconsin and Ohio State were his final three choices.

McCauley is rumored to have Ohio State at #1 on his list. Getting him would be the recruiting coup of Tom Ryan's coaching career--and guarantee the Bucks the best incoming class in the country. In addition, Ken Courts, who, in spite of his history of injury problems, is arguably the best 174-184 prospect in the country, also has Ohio State as one of his top two.

Is anyone excited? Ohio State is close to putting together the greatest class in school history. No guarantee it will happen but two out-of-state superstars are leaning towards Columbus. What would it mean for the program? Projected lineups?"

If true, how does picking someone not good enough to make Iowa's lineup help a team to beat Iowa?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 27, 2010

Gary: No one really knows who would emerge as the starter. Nor is anyone certain of where McCauley projects in college. Many see him as 149-157. But who's to say? It's all conjecture on the part of Iowa fans.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on September 27, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Gary: No one really knows who would emerge as the starter. Nor is anyone certain of where McCauley projects in college. Many see him as 149-157. But who's to say? It's all conjecture on the part of Iowa fans."

i absolutley agree Hank, which is why I prefaced my comment with "if true".

Roe Fox added to this discussion on September 27, 2010

Because I think the Iowa posters are rationalizing, though I didn't read all the posts. If Brands offered the full I think the best judge of talent as to whether he would fit into their line-up made the call.

The No. 1 guy in the country is likely to start if he gets a shot. It seems an issue may actually be the redshirt.

From all reposrts this guy would improve just about any team.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on September 27, 2010

Could this be payback for the Schlatter's? I think it would be only fitting as our best recruits left those years for Minnesota. I think it would be a great fit here but I'm not holding my breath.

Don Bork added to this discussion on September 27, 2010

If that's the case then TOSU owes payback to many as we lost so many great ones over the years. Coach Ryan has been in on a number of highly ranked kids from other states the last couple years only to be left the bridesmaid. I'm hoping this is the year we break through and get these kids to come.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 27, 2010

Ohio State failed to land top in-state prospects throughout their because other schools had a better program to sell. With four consecutive top ten finishes, three national champs, four additional finalists, and fifteen AA's since Tom Ryan's arrival, Bucks have a program that sells itself. That's a big change.

let's hope this is the "super class" that can beat Iowa, Penn State and win a national title.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next