Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Will McCauley Become a Buckeye?
Dan Ransick added to this discussion on September 27, 2010

It's only a super class if they wrestle to the potential. How many guys who weren't AA caliber right away have gone on to AA here at Ohio St. Ryan has done a great job with the guys here but I would love to see some guys make the next leap.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

John Ice added to this discussion on September 27, 2010

I'm liking our chances!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 27, 2010

Dan R: Your point is understood but first you need the monster class. Then we can see if they perform at the next level.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on September 27, 2010

Hank - don't you think all of the classes have been very good? Maybe I'm not recalling correctly but I feel like all of Coach Ryan's classes have been recognized favorably in the national rankings.

Great success for OSU but I think Dan's point is legit. Their is a ton of talent in the room, to the point that there should be very few rebuilding periods. The people that slide in this season were all top notch recruits.

Per D1CollegeWrestling.net

08 recruiting:

Top Recruits: (141) Caleb Messerall-Worthington, OH, (149) Tony Jameson-Austintown, OH, (184) Cody Magrum-Oak Harbor, OH, (285) John Hiles-Columbus, OH

Transfers: (174) David Rella-Cuyahoga Falls, OH (Penn State), (197/285) Cody Gardner-Christiansburg, VA (Virginia Tech)

09:

Top Recruits: (141) Collin Palmer-Lakewood, OH, (133) Ian Paddock-Warsaw, NY, (125) Jacob Vaughn-Columbus, OH, (174) Nick Heflin-Massilion, OH

10:

Top Recruits: (125) #1 Logan Stieber-Monroeville, OH, (174) #39 Josh Demas-Westerville, OH

Transfer: (285) Tyrell Fortune-Parkrose, OR (Clackamas CC)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 27, 2010

Ethan: I think that Ohio State has recruited solidly and consistently since Coach Ryan's arrival. And the results--4 top ten finishes, 15 AA's, 3 national champs--have been very good. Still, over the last few years, Okie State, Iowa and Penn State have put together what I would call super classes over a 1-2 year period that have set them up for years to come. My point is that Bucks are very close to nailing down one of their own. The type of class they are close to landing keeps them competitive with the aforementioned programs and puts them back into position to challenge for national titles.

My personal opinion is that D1 college wrestling has about 8-10 programs that have the resources and commitment to win a national title. Ohio State is one of them. It takes a steady influx of top talent to remain in this position. And then, as Dan R mentioned, you need to develop it.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 28, 2010

Ethan, the proof is in the pudding.

not everyone you listed made it or will make it at ohio st. Fortune isn't here as of today, Gardner was here for a cup of coffee.

Come on, this years team is very much UNproven in most wts, for a reason. Its one thing to be a fan, another to be a realist, s/BobP

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on September 28, 2010

Bob - I'm a realist, perhaps even a skeptic at times.

My point is that this team will be made up of multiple-time state champs who were considered top national recruits. They should be successful if the coaching is on par with the recruiting, which is what I think Dan's original point was. If talent development is there, this will be a very solid team, because all the starters will have been great recruits.

Hank - I understand your point, you make much more sense than others.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on September 28, 2010

Sounds like a barbershop on here with "you are only as good as your last match" versus "look at the entire body of work" with a splash of "the paradigm has shifted" debate. I think this discussion could be divvied up to express the distinction between the points of view.
Whole lot of factors go into producing a champion at the collegiate level. Stieber is as close a lock as can be unless his referee's position does not translate at the next level. It will be evident fairly quickly.I am not as familiar with the others. Again, a blue chip, just means that the individual is further along in his development and accomplishment than others in his same grouping. The style of wrestling changes at the next level as does the difficulty and consistency in opponents which pose some large hurdles to overcome. First, you have to adapt your skillset and then you have to adjust mentally to weather a whole season of tough opponents.
Some don't adapt technically and others don't adjust mentally. It is a process rife with challenges.

from Ethan, "My point is that this team will be made up of multiple-time state champs who were considered top national recruits."

Ethan,
the key wording in your statement is "WERE considered top national recruits". "WERE". ---Look at Ryans first class, as Hank Kornblut pointed out in his post on theMat: out of Nemec, Sponseller, Weakly, and Triggas, only 1 AA an 8th place, to show so far. So far.

Of course Weakly like Cody Gardner was only here for a cup of coffee-- & they havent shown up on anyone elses roster-- so obviously neither of those were the recruits they APPEARED TO BE at first. And as i said Fortune is far from certain to be here at all, it never was certain though many assumed it was.

This is an UNproven ohio st team-- as an alum i wish them the best, but as an analyst i have to remain skeptical for this year. Of course there will be individual pleasant surprises, but this team needs ALOT of them. s/BobP

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on September 28, 2010

Well Tom also brought Pucillo to Ohio st Who was his recruit. Pucillo was two time finalist so I think you have to put him in discussion.

MikeP yes (and if you ask Ryan he will tell you when he was at Hofstra i was the one who recommended Mike Pucillo to him. Ive known Ryan pretty well for many years.)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 28, 2010

FYI: Yes, an alias of mine made those statements but I also said that Sponseller has had a terrific career (excepting nationals). And Nemec still has two years to go.

I'm going to offer another observation with which others may or may not agree. Wrestling for Ohio State is a pressure packed situation. The goals are much loftier than in the past and everyone from the staff to the fans expects results. Then consider that the Buckeyes easily wrestle one of the hardest schedules in the country every season. I think some guys have come here with ability and desire but simply got crushed by the pressure of competing for a national championship contender in the Big Ten. I'm sure this goes on at other programs such as Iowa, Minny, Penn State and Okie State. You've got to perform when called upon or the staff will actively seek someone else (recruit or current team member)to do the job better. If you're banged up...too bad. Struggling academically while cutting twenty pounds a week...tough. Girlfriend giving you a hard time, you're running a low grade fever, you have two papers due in five days and a weekend trip to Iowa City is on the schedule...better figure it out. D1 wrestling is brutal at any program but it's especially difficult when you're at a program that expects a top ten finish every year and recently led the national tournament for almost two days.

It's one thing to be a hs star on a visit and have the staff tell you what the expectations will be. It's another to have to live up to them.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on September 29, 2010

I agree with Hank's original point, if I remember it correctly. IF McCauley joins this particularl class, virtually everyone in it will be top 3 in their weight depnding on the ranker. This is the type of class Iowa and Okie state get most years.

This class would be top to bottom the best Ryan has recruited since he went to TOSU. What he does with it is the big question.

I don't agree with the premise that the extra stuff that comes with college is a factor because all of the other schools deal with it. The coach can't control everything but certainly needs to make sure the student has time management skills to handle the load. At TOSU, the support is tremendous.

Bob: I think Weakley is at Oklahoma. At least he was at one point last year.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on September 29, 2010

So people are still discussing/grasping onto "the man, the myth, the legend" Tyrell Fortune?

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 1, 2010

I would love tg know what the percentage of JUCO studs actually pan out on the DI level. It's such a crap shoot for them to even qualify yet alone even take the mat.

If Fortune comes here great but I never held my breath as like Bob said it was far from a lock for him to come here.

If McCauley comes does that make him the biggest out of state recruit to come here? I would imagine it does, doesn't it.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next