Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Injury Time
Anthony Petrella added to this discussion on August 17, 2010

How can we address the problems with injury time.

As a D2 wrestler, I have seen this at every level of competition... even at the national tournament. Now taking injury time to rest is not illegal but it is certainly unethical and cowardly.

I propose some changes be made to eliminate these problems.

My proposal is this.
1. Charge the wrestler with a stalling call whenever injury time is called while keeping the current rules. 1st injury-stall call, 2nd injury- stall call and choice for opponent, 3rd injury- Forfeit.

2. also assure that a wrestler cannot get DQ'd from these stall calls though. this assures that the wrestler actually needs the injury time. If a wrestler is seriously injured, he or she will take a stall call to get looked over. The wrestler will give up stalling points but will not get DQ'd from this specific stall call due to injury because in the event the wrestler is actually hurt, it is also not right to disqualify a competitor for getting hurt.

thoughts please

thoughts please

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 17, 2010

Is not one problem with this line of thinking the fact that I could very well be injured? And you are going to penalize me for it happening!?

I will agree that some kids/coaches take advantage of it though. I also agree that it is unfortunate.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 17, 2010

Anthony: Interesting topic. When I coached hs, there was one team in our league that was notorious for taking injury time in order to catch their breath. I also had a few wrestlers over the years that became fond of using injury time as a "rest period." As Mark pointed out, there's not a lot you can do because the official has to err on the side of caution. After all, what if the wrestler really is injured and it's just not obvious?

One thought I've pondered over the years--why not allow each wrestler the chance to call one time out during a match? Limit it to 20--30 seconds. And only allow the wrestler to use it when he is clearly in a neutral position or position of control. Without going into great detail I think there are some interesting pros and cons to this notion. I do like the idea of a coach and wrestler having the chance to discuss strategy at some juncture in a match. But I don't like slowing matches down.

Thoughts?

Eric Jaynes added to this discussion on August 17, 2010

Hank, I don't think the "time out" idea would be appropriate at all for wrestling during a period. First of all, even if you are neutral, kids are still in the process of using set ups and reshots to progress toward a takedown. If you were timing up a shot based on your opponents foot motion, or how he reacted to different set ups, a time out would alter your approach in a 2 or 3 minute period. Secondly, there would never be a scenario when people wouldn't complain about when in the match someone was taking the time out (even if it is used in a neutral position). My opinion is that if you can't go at least 10 minutes of full go wrestling without using an injury time as a crutch you shouldn't be wrestling competitvely until you get in shape. It's only 6-7 minutes. You practice everyday. Either the athlete or the coach is at fault for the wrestler not being in shape. I am not a coach yet, but it has to be embarrasing to have a wrestler who does this. My dad coached for about 20 years and I have seen him pull his wrestlers off the mat more than once for obviously not trying during a match or using unethical approaches to succeed. Wrestling is not just a sport but will reflect on who you are as a person and using an injury time out when it is not needed for an injury does not reflect well on your traits as an individual. This all may be a bit harsh but is just my opinion.

Anthony Petrella added to this discussion on August 19, 2010

Mark and Hank,

I understand if a wrestler is really injured. The wrestler will accept the stalling if he really needs attention. Either way someone is going to get screwed over by this. It will also completely end using the injury time for a break. The guys that use it as a rest period are the guys who score and then try to coast. These wrestlers can't afford to give up a point. Just my thoughts from being a competitor.

Anthony Petrella added to this discussion on August 19, 2010

Some guys will get 2 timeouts during a match... it is ridiculous. What these wrestlers will do is call a timeout and then wait to call another timeout at the end of a period, when it is the other wrestler's choice. Getting away with 2 rest periods. I can't stand it.

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on August 19, 2010

Sound strategy if you ask me Tony. Don't hate, elevate!!! Quit complain and start the trainin'!!! You want to win that National Title this season, do it the old fashion way, score more points than the other guy.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on August 19, 2010

In Iowa (not sure if it is a national rule), a person gets 2 injury time outs. After the 2nd is used, the other wrestler can choose to take up, down, or neutral position. This allows the other wrestler a chance to score and discourages fake injuries. If a 3rd injury time is used, the wrestler must forfeit.
That's how it is out here in Iowa.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on August 20, 2010

I think it's a national rule.

It cost Lance Palmer a district title at Perrysburg in 2004, when his 2nd injury occured at the end of the third period of a tied match. It was the perfect set up for his opponent who, with choice, took down to start OT, promptly went to his belly, and then did nothing until stalling was AGAIN called on Palmer from the top position. It was pretty egregious. Those in attendance will know what I'm talking about.

The point here is that Palmer WAS NOT taking lung time outs. I'd be pretty carefull about making changes to the current rules.

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on August 26, 2010

"taking injury time to rest is not illegal but it is certainly unethical and cowardly"

Tony....I see this a lot...but I nor you are mind readers. As much as I understand the issue....I have a problem penalizing a legitimate injury, and since I am not a mind reader...there is NO way I can or would even try and distinguish what is a valid injury versus a "lung injury" ;)

Anthony Petrella added to this discussion on August 28, 2010

Mr. Feeny,

I completely agree with you but I have thought about this a lot and I see this way as the lesser of two evils. JMO. If people were legitimately injured they would take a stall call.

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on August 29, 2010

So....tight match....10 seconds to go match is tied. You are wrestling aggressive and twist your knee and go down...I stop the match for IT....but because it is a stall call..and your 2nd...it is a point..and you lose/..fair??

Anthony Petrella added to this discussion on August 29, 2010

No sir,

That is not fair; nor is it fair to lose to a man because of an injury... rest... time. I just feel that your scenario is not as common as mine.

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on August 30, 2010

May not be common..but in my scenario...it could happen and thus would be an unfair rule..not saying that taking a IT for a breather is not unfair.

► Add to the Discussion